PDA

View Full Version : Need to fill spaces

LMK
08-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum but have been a day care provider for 23 years. I have two families leaving to go on mat leave. One mid Oct and one Nov 1 I have been advertising on daycare bear for years now and always have good results. Lately however.... nothing. Not in weeks and weeks. I am wondering if all the neg publicity around licenced vs unlicenced day care may be a factor? :( Any thoughts.

Daisy123
08-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Could be a factor- I've been having the same thoughts. I'm outside of Toronto and where I am business is really slow! I've been trying to fill 2 spots all summer! Lots of people are looking for care in their own homes. It all seems to go in waves though and whether the cause is licensed vs unlicensed, it will eventually blow over. It sure is frustrating though when you know you have a good product to offer and there are no takers! I created a website and I'm hoping that it will help!

Skysue
08-30-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm in Barrie and its quiet here too! I truly think its due to the economy, more people are looking to get family as its fee; plus alot more Mom's are staying home and starting daycares. We are have tons in my city, I am having I hard time finding a full time client. Tons of part time out there for sure.

Daisy123
08-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Agreed Skysue- economy probably plys a part too. Tons of advertising daycares here too. I'm curious as to how many are new start ups and how many are established centres having a hard time filling spots. This time last year I was turning away clients but now.... I expect that it's for a combination of reasons but the end result's the same. I guess that we just have to keep positive- the spaces will fill eventually but even those part timers are looking good right now!:yes:

abster
08-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Slow over by Hamilton too

torontokids
08-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Slow here too. Had very few inquiries all summer for my Sept spot. I got proactive and called one mother I have on my wait list for Jan for her 3 and 1 yr old and asked if she wanted some half or full days for the 3 y o to give him some "big kid time." I have the flexibility though as I only fill 4 of my 5 spots so I was just going to use my "5" spot for this as extra income, another playmate for my 3 year olds and also get the parent interested enough that if I have 2 spots in Jan, I am the first person she calls as they will be familiar with me.

FunnyFarm
08-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Agreed as well! Slow in Halton too! I'm looking at all options right now! even looking into another part time job if I can't get my places filled...

LMK
08-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. I sure hope we all fill our spots soon!

mimi
08-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Slow in Halton as well. Hope September gives us all a jump start. I just had a dcb 18 months leave to go to d/c in his sister's school. This is our new competition ladies as more schools are looking to make daycare dollars. Let your current clients know you are looking to fill your spots and offer a referral incentive. My last successful referral I gave my client a 25 dollar gift card as thanks. It's a write off.

cfred
08-31-2013, 09:53 PM
Not bad in Newmarket. I've had 3 interviews, all of whom went on my waiting list. There were another 5 or more inquiries who didn't contact me again after I said I'm only interviewing for waiting list spots. Last summer was terrible, but this year seems much busier. Where were all these people when I was desperate???

playfelt
09-01-2013, 09:54 AM
I figure things will change around me as soon as I am about to retire which could be in the next 5 years or so - freedom 55 is quickly becoming freedom 60. But two more couples on our street downsized as last child left for university and other family married off the last one and new families are moving in. Unfortunately both are French which lets me out but at least they are part of the shift as older couples move to smaller homes and families move to larger ones the demographics for our area are changing again back to what it was like when we first moved here. We even got a fantastic new play structure at the park except that it is for ages 5 and up not suitable for my crew but good for the school age in the area.

Mama of 1
09-02-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm in Stoney creek in a newer subdivision and they have just started a new phase of homes across the street. But with all the neg things in the news about home day cares, I'm worried about starting my up. In the new year. Also the lady 3 doors down has a daycare

Daisy123
09-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Lots of advertising and be patient about filling spaces. It takes time for sure- especially since you want to make sure that the clients you accept are a good fit for your family! As for a daycare down the road- it could hinder but it doesn't have to. I have a lady who does care a couple of houses way and it's been the best thing in the world for me. We've became friends and will actually send potential clients to each other if we can't accommodate them for any reason.

Buggy's Place
01-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Ok so I know it takes time but I have had 3 inquiries and no bites! And I just found out there are two other dc on my street! I'm loosing hope I have posted ads everywhere! What else can I do?