PDA

View Full Version : Licensing my daycare

Mama of 1
09-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Happy Labor day weekend ladies

How do I go about licensing my home daycare? Do I have to be with an agency? Because I really don't want to go that route.

Thank you

Artsand crafts
09-01-2013, 11:13 AM
If you are in Ontario, home daycare cannot have a license. You could only join a licensed agency, but your home daycare is not licensed.

Mama of 1
09-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I didn't realize that. Im just worried with everything in the news about home daycare's parents are going to be leery and its going to be hard to get children without a licence. thanks for answering my question

mimi
09-02-2013, 11:48 AM
What will attract clients is for them being able to see all the prep work that you have gone to to provide a safe, nurturing, clean and stimulating environment for their child.

- do you have your infant/toddler cpr and first aid.
- do you have a posted evacuation plan and emergency numbers posted on your daycare wall?
_do you have smoke detectors, co2 detectors on every level as well as a fire extinguisher which is easily accessable?
- have you secured all storage and bookcases to the wall?
- completely babyproofed?
- provide safe and comfortable playpens/beds/mats in a secure location
- " " highchairs/booster seats in your eating area
- have a policy book and contract
- a daily schedule
- sample menus
- issue receipts
- have an example of the type of curriculum you offer
- decorate your playroom make it look cheerful and fun
- explain your knowledge of food safety and prep
- talk about the fun stuff you will do ie go to the park, walks, easter egg hunt, Christmas party etc.
- when presenting your daycare be proud and confident of the work you have done
Hope these suggestions help:)

betsy
09-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I didn't realize that. Im just worried with everything in the news about home daycare's parents are going to be leery and its going to be hard to get children without a licence. thanks for answering my question

I hear you.

It doesn't help with that replayed CBC documentary I'd seen recently that really seem to scare-monger to parents, and bash all home daycares that aren't under any licensed agencies.

Monday 2 Friday Mama
09-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi Betsy and Mama of 1, I've seen the documentary that you mentioned - I think most caregivers have - and I wanted to offer my two cents. (If I may) You hit the nail spot on when you used the word scare-mongering - that's exactly what it is. The government is exploring the possibility of making changes to the DNA (Day Nursery Act) and one of the ways that they are trying to generate support for these changes is through programs like this. I'm sure you've noticed a rash of reports this past year about deaths/unsafe conditions in home daycares. Propoganda at it's finest. I have three kids of my own, and I totally emphasize with parents about how stressful/scary it is to find a caregiver. You're leaving your kids with someone that (really) you have just met - it's a big leap of faith ! One of the things that I stress with all of the parents that I work with is the importance of the relationship that I build with them and their child - it's absolutely critical for parents to feel that they can trust me/my judgement and the decisions that I am going to make while I am caring for their son/daughter in order for them to head off to work every morning. My home daycare is not licenced. There were several reasons that I (and many other caregivers) chose not to operate through an agency. The first reason I had for choosing not to work with an agency was that I didn't want to pass over a portion of my earnings to a middle man. That's essentially what an agency is - they connect caregivers with parents who are seeking a care provider. In my area the daily rate for full time care ranges from 40-45 dollars a day. I charge my parents $45 day. When I first started out I charged $40 a day and I found after I paid for my operating costs (annual taxes, supplies, food and extra insurance) I had very little left over. If I work with an agency, I would only receive 33 dollars a day. Simply put, it does cost money to run a good program, and while I love children I am trying to earn a living. LOL I can't make the numbers balance if I am paid less than 35 dollars a day. =( Under Ontario laws my income is already capped (I am only allowed to care for 5 children) so it's important that I pay attention to my bottom line and not allow it to be eroded too badly. The second aversion that I had to working with an agency was I didn't like all of their rules. Most caregivers already comply with many agency regulations. I don't know a single caregiver who doesn't have their First Aid training or a current Police Check (standard agency requirements) - they wouldn't have any clients without these criteria. LOL Most caregivers, update these criteria regularly - I update my First Aid training annually - so you're not necessarily getting a caregiver with better training if you go through an agency. This industry is competitive enough that if you want to work you'll keep your credentials up to scratch of your own initiative. Other things that agencies frequently expect their providers to have (i.e. having a fire safety plan, providing children with secure, safe sleeping areas/cribs, storing chemicals out of reach of children) I found to be just common sense ! I wouldn't have children in my home without taking these basic precautions - I'd be worried ! LOL However, many agencies regulate the ages of the children that you can have in your care. i.e. no more than two children under the age of two at any point in time. I disagree with this. It makes it really hard to find a new child when someone graduates out of your care. Not only are you now looking for a family who lives in your area, finds your hours compatible, is comfortable with your approach with children and your rates - but now their child also has to fall within a certain age. I also think that it should be up to the caregiver to decide how many children of any given age they feel comfortable caring for. I have never had 5 babies all at the same time. However, I frequently get "clusters" of children. Parents view it as a good thing - it means that I build long term relationships with the children (and their families) that I care for. I am not a short term, here today gone tomorrow kind of provider. Many of my daycare babes have been "lifers" - they started up here when Mum returned to work after mat leave, and they only leave my care when they begin full day kindergarten. =) Having one or two children who are the same age also has the benefit of providing the children with a playmate who is at the same age and developmental stage. Daycare friends are good ! Over the years I have had numerous different ages in my daycare. I actually find when you have 5 children (or 3) who are all different ages (i.e. an 18 month old, a 3 year old and a 5 year old) that it is really challenging to run a program that stimulates everyone. What's interesting for the 18 month old is not going to excite the 5 year old. You wind up running two (or three) different curriculums to ensure that everyone is getting what they need. For me, it's actually easier to care for a group of children who are all within a year or so of each other in age. For some context, in licenced daycare centres (I worked in several before I had my own family) the children are usually grouped by age and you'll have one worker caring for 7 to 10 children. The exception is the one year olds - where I worked it was a 1/5 ratio. So if people are comfortable with children being cared for in this kind of ratio in a centre, why are they concerned when it's a private caregiver ? Just wanted to provide some perspective from "the other side of the fence" =) Hope it helps !

betsy
09-09-2013, 04:49 AM
Criminal background check is not so reliable as it's made out to be.

Someone who got a criminal background check to show parents could just as easily commit a crime the very next day!
Therefore, you have a "reassured" parent on the basis of that criminal background check, unaware that the caregiver is currently facing criminal charges. It gives false reassurance.

Parents shouldn't just go through the motion of doing interviews asking all the "right" questions from a questionnaire they got online. Well, not only parents looking for daycares read those questionaires! How many daycare operators read them and prepare themselves to give the "right" answers? Answers that they know parents want to hear?

A lot should also be based on keen observation/assessment...and that gut intuition. Ideally, a parent should come during daycare hours and observe the interaction between children and caregiver.