PDA

View Full Version : Bottle fed after a year old

apples and bananas
09-03-2013, 01:17 PM
I have a new little one, he just turned 1. He is still being bottle fed twice a day. This is his 3rd full week with me and he's transitioning in very nicely. He eats like a champ!

The bottle is given to him twice a day (outside of normal meal times) by laying him on his back on a blanket and he takes the bottle on his own.

I was doing this with him for the first transitioning days. But I hate dealing with baby bottles. I don't think they need them after a year and I always ask for the kids to be transitioned to Sippy's before they come. Mom says he will take a sippy at home with water in it. Hasn't tried milk in it yet.

so, what would you do at this point? Would you continue the bottle on the back thing until mom's ready to give it up or would you start to transition over?

If you would get him off the bottle would you just go cold turkey? Offer him the sippy with milk at snacks and meals and let him figure it out? (won't take a sippy from me yet at all! ) He eats great! But I'm concerned about him going too many days without taking mIlk at daycare.

thoughts?

Artsand crafts
09-03-2013, 01:29 PM
I transition 12mo to sippy cups. They can still have bottles or be breastfed at home, but I still ask parents to try that too, if they haven't yet. For most it does not take too long to drink well from them.

Fun&care
09-03-2013, 01:44 PM
The way I do it is parents provide milk for their kids by bringing in full bottles/ sippys in the morning. I send the bottles back at night for them to clean. So I really don't care if they are using a bottle or sippy. However the feeding on the back thing would bother me because I only serve milk at mealtimes in their high hair. I give it to them AFTER they are done eating because kids this age should be getting most of their calories from food not milk.

torontokids
09-03-2013, 01:48 PM
I've had all my parents transition them prior to starting with me. With my own kids I do it cold turkey (and usually by 9/10 mos) and never had a problem as they would already be drinking water from a sippy cup.

playfelt
09-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I take the milk from the bottle and put it in a sippy cup and offer it to the child at snacks and meals. Any milk not finished goes back in the bottle and given accordingly. I have also divided it half for the cup and half for the bottle so the child has the settling effect - ie instead of a soother to settle to sleep. Then gradually break that as the child gets comfortable.