PDA

View Full Version : 16 month old climbing out of playpen

Mamateach
09-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Good evening ladies,

I experienced a first today! My 16 month old DCG climbed out of her playpen and was walking around my room when I went in to get her this afternoon!! I currently do not use baby monitors as the space is not big. I could hear her talking to herself as she does most afternoons (not sleeping, in process of cutting down morning naps). She is my busiest child, so I always get her last. I can change others and put them in playroom without worrying about them but her? She makes me nervous ALL OF THE TIME! I love her to death. She has a great personality, just at the testing her limits age and also so so so busy. My question to you is...have you had children climb out of their playpen and if you did at what age? What did you do? I feel that she is just too young and busy to be put on a mat for nap. I know that there is no way she would stay there and she would get into everything! I am also very afraid of her hurting herself. Last week she fell (usually a million times a day) and she hit her head off of my round coffee table and chipped her two front teeth!!!!

I may have stated earlier that our basement is under renos for dedicated daycare. When it is open, all children will be in main room on mats/playpens depending on age. Right now however, they are sleeping in our bedrooms (lots to get into if they are not in a secure place).

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mimi
09-10-2013, 04:43 PM
I only had that happen once when I was getting the kids up from their nap. The child was about 22 months and being in the room I caught him in the act and gave a very stern NO with stern facial expression. He didn't try it again.
I think she is too young for a mat IMO so you may have to invest in monitoring system to keep an eye on her. If you can catch her in the act and discipline at that moment, it should deter her (hopefully)

FSD
09-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I also heard of putting them in a sleep sack ~ it'll prevent them from lifting their leg up and over! Worth a shot!

Mamateach
09-10-2013, 07:02 PM
I also heard of putting them in a sleep sack ~ it'll prevent them from lifting their leg up and over! Worth a shot!

I never thought of that! Thanks!

Crayola kiddies
09-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I had one a few years back that did the same thing .....so I did what a pp said and caught him in the act and I swooped in and startled him and with my stern voice/face said "no climbing out" and i put him back in and left the door open a crack so I could see in and every time he tried it in I would come and put him back with a warning. even if nap time was over I would still put him back in and walk away and go back 5 minutes later to make him understand that I took him out only he was not to climb out himself. every day he did it less and less and by the end of the week he didn't do it anymore however every day when I put him in I said "remember ...no climbing out". and he never did it again. so if you don't have a video monitor you will have to leave the door open so you can see in and catch her on the way out or already out and put her back over and over till she figures it out.

the sleep sac is a great idea too I never thought of that when I was going through this and as long as she cant figure out how to get it off (maybe put it backwards) then that should work too.

treeholm
09-11-2013, 06:52 AM
I use sleep sacks. Works beautifully. They also stay warm since they cannot kick the off like blankets. Win/win!

apples and bananas
09-11-2013, 07:48 AM
I had one about 18 months climb out. It was her first day and she was a tiny little thing. I thought there was no way she could lift her leg that high. I put her down, she cried ( it was her first day ) I walked out of the room, shut the door and immediately heard a bang, footsteps and banging on the door. Oh MAN! I carried the play pen down stairs and set her up in the play room. I spent an hour re placing her back down until she was asleep then was on high alert when she woke up. She never tried it again.

I have since invested in video monitors. Best purchase I've ever made. It makes my nap time so much more relaxed.

I would spend time sleep training her on the floor. I would think a sleep sac would just frustrate her and send her into a tantrum or crying fit at the least.

When I sleep train I do it on the main floor so I can be close enough to catch them in the act.

Mamateach
09-11-2013, 09:25 AM
These are all great suggestions! Thank you very much. I spoke with her mother this morning. I had her in my room alone in a smaller play pen and my younger one in with my son in a bigger play pen. I like to keep them in the same space everyday so that they feel as if it is their own. I did the switch today and advised parents of this. So far so good! She went right to sleep and I've been checking on her constantly. Her mother told me she has a couple of sleep sacks at home which she will bring here for me to try. I know this kid and know that she will try to take it off so I will put it on backwards and hope for the best. Thanks again!