PDA

View Full Version : The Politics: What lies ahead?

betsy
09-14-2013, 06:56 AM
I guess whether we like it or not we have to face the possibility that our business could be greatly affected due to the pressure being placed on the current government more so by those who want to establish a universal daycare.
The heavy slant from the media is obvious. Have you noticed that every time there's a death or abuse of children in an unlicensed daycare, newscasters usually interview a childcare "expert" who'd proceed to push for the "need" to license daycares?
Every time, it's a one-sided opinion that the media shows on tv.
They never show someone representing private home daycares giving her/his opinion or input.

A responsible and unbiased media would at least give both sides the same air time, and they would make sure that they do not paint every private home daycares with the same brush. After all, we're talking about income here. Livelihood for those involved in this business.

If we look at this from a purely business angle, this is like singling out and defaming a business and scaring off its potential clienteles. That spells loss for the business. It could drive a business to close down.

My question is: What can we do about this?

Individually, we wouldn't have a voice. But as a group?
We have to deal with the irresponsible media, I think.

mimi
09-14-2013, 10:04 AM
The media needs to be invited by us to visit our "regular" home daycares that have been running successfully for a few years so if necessary, they could also interview past/current clients, if the clients wish to participate.
While we know the majority of home daycares are good to excellent, the public is only being given this skewed view of daycares.
Is any of us brave enough to do this? Invite the media into our home? Perhaps it is not even about being brave enough, do we as busy people have the time to do this?
I did send an email to a news anchor who did a story this week and used the term "unlicensed" daycare and corrected him on the misusage of this term. I just received a thank you for my input email in return, but it's a start. I did give my contact info so if they are interested in further speaking with me, then I will. I just don't know if I would do on camera, but then, I am getting way ahead of myself.
I think the best start is for us to email the news media and set them straight about our "unlicensed " daycares. Maybe if enough of us contradict this term to them, they will stop using it as a descriptive word for our industry.

betsy
09-14-2013, 10:19 AM
The media needs to be invited by us to visit our "regular" home daycares that have been running successfully for a few years so if necessary, they could also interview past/current clients, if the clients wish to participate.
While we know the majority of home daycares are good to excellent, the public is only being given this skewed view of daycares.
Is any of us brave enough to do this? Invite the media into our home? Perhaps it is not even about being brave enough, do we as busy people have the time to do this?
I did send an email to a news anchor who did a story this week and used the term "unlicensed" daycare and corrected him on the misusage of this term. I just received a thank you for my input email in return, but it's a start. I did give my contact info so if they are interested in further speaking with me, then I will. I just don't know if I would do on camera, but then, I am getting way ahead of myself.
I think the best start is for us to email the news media and set them straight about our "unlicensed " daycares. Maybe if enough of us contradict this term to them, they will stop using it as a descriptive word for our industry.

Is there an association for specifically for private home daycares? Years back I think there was an association in Ottawa but I couldn't remember if it's only for private home daycares or if it's for anyone who takes care of a child/children.

If there is such an association, perhaps we can get to the media through them. When my daycare starts operating, I am willing to invite the media to come if needed.

We could also fire off letters to newspapers and voice out the unfairness of lumping all private home daycare providers along with the unsavory ones. Or maybe, get the ears of our local MPs?

If they're going to make changes to the current Day Nurseries Act, we should be able to give an input!

playfelt
09-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Our association here in Ottawa has been very active. They have had meetings with elected officials, had a chance to present "our side of the story" to those that make decisions and have used several media outlets to promote the cause of independent caregivers.

http://www.ccprn.com/en/whats-new/change-is-in-the-air-2013/

Kimangeline
09-15-2013, 02:41 PM
absolutely we need to become more vocal as daycare providers...'unlicen sed', 'unregulated', 'private' are all thrown around interchangeably but parents, in general, and often providers don't even fully understand these terms! Join CCPRN as mentioned above to stay current, message editors in response to these biased articles and stories. Be the kind of provider that the media likes to pretend we are not. Be educated. Be proactive. Be positive.

I posted a little blurb about this very issue on my blog recently as well
http://kimandthekids.wordpr ess.com/2013/08/23/what-are-your-childcare-options/