PDA

View Full Version : Stock up on tissues!

JennJubie
09-16-2013, 09:04 AM
It's that time of year again! Cold time! That dcb that had the crying fit last week that Mom swore wasn't getting sick is now got a lovely cold. I'm pretty sure I've been through half a box of tissues just today. I've already had to clean snot off my couch too, yuck!

Fun&care
09-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Yep! Got one with a runny nose too...honestly I went through so many tissues last year that I was almost tempted to start asking parents to provide a few boxes per cold season to help with the costs...heck the schools do it! Lol:laugh:

KellyP
09-16-2013, 10:02 AM
I require my DCF's to bring one re-fill package of diaper wipes and one box of tissues the first week of each month. If they don't want to bring them, I charge a $6 fee.

It was either that or raise my rates and every parent I had voted to contribute verses me raising rates.

You'd be surprised at how many boxes of tissues/wet wipes I actually have built up right now!

Momof4
09-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I use tissues and the children's own diaper wipes for really gross faces. I wipe up their hands, then their noses to keep contamination down as much as I can. I've had clients in the past who will bring in a box of tissues once in a while when they know their child is using tons of them and it's really appreciated. But it's part of the cost of doing daycare to always be stocked up on tissues. I hope you ladies are deducting the tissues, paper towels, tp and cleaning supplies on your taxes.

apples and bananas
09-16-2013, 10:19 AM
I have considered asking all parents to supply tissue through the winter. The schools get away with asking for it, why can't we?

KellyP
09-16-2013, 10:23 AM
I have considered asking all parents to supply tissue through the winter. The schools get away with asking for it, why can't we?

I agree with Momof4 about tissues and wet wipes being part of the costs of running a business but when I start going through them like wildfire, I needed to either raise my rates to accommodate the added expense or simply ask parents to chip in a little. It was easier and less costly for parents to bring the wet wipes/tissues once a month than to have to pay a higher rate for child care.

SongSparrow
09-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Lots of runny noses here too :( The worst is when the baby sneezes and then starts playing in it before I can get his face wiped!

Dreamalittledream
09-16-2013, 11:17 AM
I follow a great idea from another provider & use toilet paper for runny noses...way cheaper:). I felt like a whole big Kleenex was often a waste.

JennJubie
09-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Lots of runny noses here too :( The worst is when the baby sneezes and then starts playing in it before I can get his face wiped!

Yep. This little guy gets his hands in it and rubs it all over his face before I can wipe.

playfelt
09-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Colds here too - but now with complications. Probably just my crew as they seem to either be healthy or in the hospital. The simple "cold" we thought they all had is still a cold in two, croup that has now become pneumonia with a day in the hospital for a third and an ear infection and tonsillitis for the fourth. I have had a cough but so far so good.

The good news is less kids in care and those here are more or less just hanging out and then napping. Works for me.

Momof4
09-16-2013, 02:14 PM
I follow a great idea from another provider & use toilet paper for runny noses...way cheaper:). I felt like a whole big Kleenex was often a waste.

That's funny, I have a good friend who always has a roll of TP on her stroller and she finds it much easier than trying to hold onto a wad of tissues that might blow away outside. Personally, I fold a tissue over into a 4 ply square so that when I wipe the nose it doesn't get near my hands, then I usually run and wash my hands anyway, yeesh, I have such old lady hands now!

playfelt
09-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Toilet paper is for sure the way to go. I actually find it is softer and molds better to the nose than some of the cheaper brands of tissues and of course way cheaper. Have a roll in every room we are in.

JennJubie
09-17-2013, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the great idea! I think I'm going to give toilet paper a try!