PDA

View Full Version : Easy soup recipe share?

Dreamalittledream
09-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Okay, I admit it...I have not had much success making soups. Stews/chili I have no problem with. If you have an easy, kid-approved soup recipe please share:)

playfelt
09-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Love to make soup for myself but never serve it to the daycare kids. The broth never makes it to the mouth or gets spilled from the bowl. Too many of the little ones don't bring their arms up to their mouth they just move from the elbow meaning unless the food sticks to the spoon it runs down.

Having said that the best way to start with soup is the stock. Cook some meat beef or chicken and save the drippings as the stock base. Makes for a much better soup. My preference is to chop an onion and sauté in the soup pot and then when just beginning to carmelize - ie stick to the bottom of the pan add the stock to get all that off to add flavour. After that add whatever veggies you have on hand, some of the meat you cooked, a few noodles or rice and soup is on the table in very short order. Often just use frozen veggies to save on the chopping. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, etc to taste. I do sometimes add a bit of the bisto to thicken the broth slightly but not as thick as a stew or you can puree some of the soup and stir it back in as a thickener.

mimi
09-23-2013, 10:46 AM
I served soup to one of my dck's who was a very mature 4 yr old who could hold onto the bowl with one hand and fed with the spoon, other than that, I don't serve it either.
For some great soup recipes, I look to Pinterest, there are also some great suggestions for toddler foods.

Crayola kiddies
09-23-2013, 11:47 AM
I serve soup all the time .... Mostly cream soup I make myself and I put the moulded bibs on the kids that have the scoop on the bottom to catch the drips but if u serve a vegetable type soup I add some crackers to thicken it up so less spillage and then I spoon feed the youngest one. I make cream of cauliflower , broccoli, celery, potato and leek, carrot, and squash. They are all made basically the same ..... Sautee onion and garlic in some butter until softened, add peeled diced potatoes and sautée for about five more minutes, add your vege of choice (broccoli or celery ect ) add broth to cover all the veggies (I use the Campbell's tetra packs) and bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 30 mins and then ladle out the veggies into a blender and purée adding milk or light cream. I leave a few chunks just cause I like it that way .... Sometimes if I have extra veggies in the fridge I chop them up small and add to the bowls when I'm serving it to the kids. My dcks love my soup and ask for seconds and thirds. Check out www.allrecipes.com for lots of soup recipes

Fun&care
09-23-2013, 02:12 PM
I think soup is awesome for the kiddies...I just put less broth in it so there is more veggies/ meat, and for little ones who can't handle broth I strain the broth right out. I'm making chicken and rice soup tonight actually!

daycaremom9
09-23-2013, 02:32 PM
If I have a bunch of left-overs I'll put everything into a pot and add some broth, left-over gravy, tomatoes and/or tomato sauce. Really just a hodge-lodge of things. Oh yeah, I'll also add some extra veggies: frozen or fresh peas, celery, carrots, zucchini, really anything that's in the fridge. My hubby always complains when he sees the soup pot out but he always compliments me on how good it was.lol

Dreamalittledream
09-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Thank you so much! Agreed that the thicker soups are better:)

Momof4
09-23-2013, 03:59 PM
I love love soup in the winter, but I don't serve it to the daycare children. The messiest thing they get is yogurt so that it sticks to the spoon and I don't let them feed themselves yogurt until they are about 2. I make chili once in a while and I also feed the under 2's myself. Sweeping and vacuuming every night is enough for me without having to scrub my rug!

bright sparks
09-23-2013, 08:58 PM
I serve soup at least once a week and serve it out of a cup that way there is no issue with spoons and missed mouths. The older ones who can use a straw may do so but I find that straight from a cup is super easy and quick clean up.

Dreamalittledream
09-24-2013, 06:38 AM
I serve soup at least once a week and serve it out of a cup that way there is no issue with spoons and missed mouths. The older ones who can use a straw may do so but I find that straight from a cup is super easy and quick clean up.
That is a great idea! Thanks:)

betsy
09-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Mashed potatoes makes a good thickener, too.

5 Little Monkeys
09-28-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't particularly enjoy the messiness of soup but I do think kids need to learn how to use a spoon so I do serve it, more in the winter. I give less broth to the younger ones and use lots of crackers to soak it up for the older ones. I serve vegetable soup most often as it's a great way to get all the food groups in them. I buy the knorr vegetable "gel pucks"...you dissolve in water and then add whatever veggies you like. I add cabbage, carrots, celery and a bit of hamburger. They love it. Thankfully they like chili/stew better so I serve that more often than soup. It's such a cheap meal too!!

SnugglebearHD
06-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Lentil soup.. I use the recipe right from the Annabel Karmel website. It is basically 6 tablespoons of red lentils, 2 tomatoes, half a zucchini, 2/3 cup of red onion, half red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 2 garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons of tomato paste and 400 ml of low salt chicken broth. Easy and my own kids devour it (I have a 3 year old and a 10 month old)... my daycare only opens up end of July but I plan on offering soup 2 times a week since I do that with my own kids :)

MonkeyPrincess
06-05-2015, 11:27 PM
my kiddies love soup, and the current fave is meatball soup, also called italian wedding soup. Someone told me once that It's similar to East Side Marios. I can't remember exact quantities since this recipe is off memory, but i have made it so many times. you will need:
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 onion, chopped fine
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-2 L of chicken stock
-1 lb of meatballs (either frozen store bought or home made, already seasoned and cooked)
-one cup of small pasta, like small shells, bow ties, orzo, stars, etc
-a handful of spinach, chopped fine (frozen chopped is fine too)
-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

additional veggies are optional, but i have added carrots in the recipe and it was good!

In a soup pot, Saute onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil for a few min. When onion is translucent, add chicken stock to pot with meat balls and pasta and bring to a boil, then lower heat slightly. cook until pasta is al dente. Then add the spinach and parmesan cheese and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and it's done. Voila!

MonkeyPrincess
06-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Another fave is Tortellini soup.

Ingredients
2 whole large Cloves Of Garlic Minced
2 Tbl Olive Oil
2 10¾ oz Cans of Condensed Tomato Soup
¼ cup Sun Dried Tomatoes, chopped or 2 Tbl Of Sun Dried Tomato Paste
2 cups Half-and-half
2 cups Chicken Stock
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 Tbl Italian Seasoning
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
1 whole 9 Oz Package Of Cheese Filled Tortellini
½ cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese, for garnish
Directions

Saute garlic with the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat until golden brown.
Be sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t get too brown or burnt.
When the garlic is done, add tomato soup, tomatoes, half and half, chicken stock and spices.
Bring to a simmer.
Once simmering, drop tortellini into the soup. Cook according to the package directions.
After tortellini are cooked, ladle soup into bowls and top with parmesan cheese

briana26
10-06-2015, 05:04 AM
Heat oil in oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, carrot, and celery to pan. Sauté vegetables 5 minutes; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute or until vegetables are tender and mixture smells good. Stir in broth, chicken, and thyme. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Stir in pasta, and cook 8 minutes or just until pasta is tender.

5 Little Monkeys
10-06-2015, 08:01 AM
A soup that I've made a few times and they like is...

Beef or vegetable broth
Veggies of choice
Beef tortellini
Spinach (optional)

Cook all together

alertadmire
05-26-2016, 01:43 AM
My daughter's nanny once made cheese burger soup which I was forced to ask her the recipe because of its taste:
Brown the ground beef in 3 quart saucepan. Drain and set aside.
In the same saucepan add 1 T butter and add onion, shredded carrots, parsley flakes, basil and celery. Saute until tender.
Add the broth, potatoes and beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
In small skillet melt remaining butter (3 T) and add the flour. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.

The flavor of butter and cheese makes it my kids favorite

Acesty6
02-28-2018, 07:44 PM
you can make an easy soup by boiling chicken together with some spices salt and pepper corn and egg those are nutritious and easy boiling technique
you just have put on everything and simmer
you can the site given hope it helps

15 quick and easy soup recipes - Today's Parent
https://www.todaysparent.com/recipes/soup-15-simple-recipes/

Home away
03-07-2018, 10:02 PM
all my three year olds are capable of using a spoon to eat soup...I did give one child a measuring spoon (1 Tablespoon) to use because it was easier for her to keep the liquid in the spoon until she got better at the hand coordination

morticia
05-23-2018, 05:18 AM
Thanks! I'll test this recipe out tonight :)

morticia
05-24-2018, 02:00 AM
I tried the Tortellini Soup yesterday as posted on this thread and it was really good!! Would definitely recommend it to anyone!!

Gibbon
02-25-2019, 09:28 AM
So many recipes
Thank you all

Leeara
04-05-2019, 08:13 AM
My daughter's nanny once made cheese burger soup which I was forced to ask her the recipe because of its taste:
Brown the ground beef in 3 quart saucepan. Drain and set aside.
In the same saucepan add 1 T butter and add onion, shredded carrots, parsley flakes, basil and celery. Saute until tender.
Add the broth, potatoes and beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
In small skillet melt remaining butter (3 T) and add the flour. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.

The flavor of butter and cheese makes it my kids favorite

anything instead onions?

WindyRF
05-02-2019, 03:19 AM
You can cook it without onion, it's ok

monzerrat
12-30-2019, 08:55 AM
My kids adore mini meatball soup.
I cook meatballs by myself: grind the fillet, with kitchen appliances here (https://mykitchenadvisor.com/) add grated cheese, salt and spices. And at the end of cooking I add greens