PDA

View Full Version : Daycare Fee's

5 Little Monkeys
09-26-2013, 06:43 PM
New to the site so I hope this is in the right area!! :)

I have a private home daycare and I am always curious as to what others charge and in what province. I am in MB and charge $30 a day (730-5 are my actual hours) regardless of hours here. If you don't mind sharing your fee, I would love to hear from you!

FSD
09-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Hi! You're in the right spot!! I'm in Orleans (just outside of Ottawa) and I charge $35/day and my hours are 7-5:30pm. I'm full right now but if a spot opens up, I plan on raising my fees a few dollars as the going rate in this area is closer to $40/day.

playfelt
09-26-2013, 07:52 PM
A really interesting thing to do is to go to the home page and put your email address in the search box as if you were looking for a daycare space. A list of providers in your area starting with the ones closest to you will come up. I like to occasionally compare fees, open hours, what is being offered, see pictures of play areas, visit websites given etc. by checking out the names on the list. You might also find someone that lives close enough to you to become a friend and meet up at parks and things with your kids or to get together as caregivers and share ideas too.

5 Little Monkeys
09-26-2013, 11:15 PM
FSD...That's a good idea to keep up with the current rate. Most people complain about $30 around here so I won't be raising my fee anytime soon but like to know what other provinces charge. The going rate around here is $25-30 with the odd $20 and $35.

Playfelt...Thanks for that tip, I will have to check it out. I know a couple dcp's around here and have a few friends who are also dcp's so we usually email each other with questions/concerns/vents.

Not having coworkers can make for long days and sometimes you just want to vent or discuss an issue so I think this site is great!!

cfred
09-27-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm in Ontario (north east of Toronto) and have just started charging $45/day. I moved here a year ago and started out at $39 and have gradually been moving up. Most of my clients are at $40 (same as rest of area) and 1 is at $42. Everyone in this area has been at $40 for years apparently, so I figured it might be a good time to try to up the anty a little. People are still contacting me for interviews (rather they WERE when I was FULL) at the $45 rate and didn't seem fazed by it. So, I'll just leave it there and see what happens. Another provider has just moved into the area and is charging $45 and $47....happy to see the prices go up :)

5 Little Monkeys
09-27-2013, 08:29 AM
I'd also be interested to know if you are private or licensed and if private, what is your allowed number of children? I am private, MB and allowed 4.

I am assuming parents make a heck of a lot more money in other provinces to be able to afford those higher daycare fee's. I would like to see daycare fees raised here but I just don't see it happening :(

cfred
09-27-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm private, unlicensed. I have ECE which might make a bit of difference? I don't know. Ontario providers are permitted 5 children, any age, not including their own. Mine are nearly adults, so don't count, but when they were little, I certainly appreciated it. You can take on as many kids over 10 as you want, but I only do infant, toddler, preschool. Mind you, I'm am one of the highest charging in my area. Everyone else (save 1) are $40 and I've been told it's been at that rate for years. I just figured, while business is good, I might as well throw a new number out there and see what happens. So far, it's been fine. I have one space to fill now, so I'll see if I can pull someone in at $45. It would be nice. I know that in downtown Toronto, they're charging $50-$60.

Only 4 in Manitoba? Ouch. I'm wondering if your cost of living is lower there? York Region (where I live) is ridiculous. I saw a new subdivision being built of all detached homes STARTING in the low $700, 000s.....WTF??? Who can afford that? I'm in my teeny little townhouse which I almost had to sell my first born to get. Jeesh....

5 Little Monkeys
09-27-2013, 01:14 PM
cfred, that is interesting...5 not including your own. Here is 4 and that includes your own children. I don't have children of my own yet so for me it's not a big deal but when we have our own children I will have to take a cut in pay for a bit. Right now my SO has an evening job so it shouldn't be too bad though.

Yes, MB definitely has a lower cost of living....$700G's!!! WOW!!!

cfred
09-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Ouch....Manitoba's strict! With all the bad press we've been getting here, it wouldn't surprise me to see us go that way either. I hope not though! Hope the prices go up a bit in your area. It would help, right?

Yep, $700, 000 to start. Good doG! They're big homes, but still, a bit ridiculous in my mind. I have a town that has gone up $40, 000 since I bought it last year. Crazy housing market here....towns go within days and often over asking price. My neighbours had a bidding war. We got in by the skin of our teeth and probably only because it was a nasty split and they were in a rush.....and I had to look hard for 'the potential'. I could probably get a pretty nice place in Manitoba...with some space!

AmandaKDT
09-27-2013, 01:53 PM
What is minimum wage in Ontario? They are increasing it to $10.45 an hour in Manitoba next month, if that tells anything about cost of living here. WE have a hot real estate market here too, with lots of bidding wars. When we were house buying almost 3 years ago every listing we looked at went for atleast $20,000 more than the list price. But not alot for $700,000, probably 4 or 5 hundred thousand for a really nice house here.

But I am a government funded licensed daycare, so I only charge parents $18.20 a day for preschoolers and $22.20 for infants - but I don't provide any food or milk. Then I get a top up from the government per licensed spot, a couple dollars per day per licensed spot. I rarely see a spot advertised for more than $30 a day, sometimes $35. It doesn't seem to matter the education background of the provider, I am a school teacher and wouldn't have charged more than $30 a day if I wasn't funded. And that is in a province with a severe lack of daycare spots. You ladies with trouble filling spots should come to Winnipeg, you'd have no trouble!

5 Little Monkeys
09-27-2013, 01:54 PM
I wonder if MB is the strictest province? More money would always be nice! haha In a centre daycare though they pay just under $20 a day I believe for a child aged 2-5 and just under $30 for an infant. (It's been awhile since I worked in a centre so my numbers might be off a bit) So because of that, hdc's can't really ask more or else we wouldn't fill our spots as quickly. The daycare shortage is pretty bad here (probably everywhere?) and most parents have to take whatever dc they can find instead of one they might like better. That is what most of my parents say any ways. Sometimes it's the opposite though and it's us dcp's taking whatever child we can get!

You would definitely get a nicer/bigger place here and lots of space for that kind of money! :)

Crayola kiddies
09-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Minimum wage in ontario is 10.25 (over 18) a bit lower for students.

AcornsFalling
09-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Hello, thought I would share my situation here...
I am in BC and I charge $50 / day for 5 and unders which includes food. I live in a middle class area with steady demand. But we have a very expensive housing market here - $500 000 + for a regular 40 year old house in my neighbourhood. I am a registered License Not Required child care, which means I am allowed 2 children plus my own (I have 2). I think Licensed care providers can have 5 plus their own.

5 Little Monkeys
09-27-2013, 05:28 PM
It's really interesting to me to read about all the different numbers in each province!