PDA

View Full Version : Why do children need unstructured time outside?

Artsand crafts
09-26-2013, 09:23 PM
I found this documentary (the trailer) in another forum. It's called "Mother nature's child".

"Mother Nature’s Child explores nature’s powerful role in children’s health and development through the experience of toddlers, children in middle childhood and adolescents. The film marks a moment in time when a living generation can still recall childhoods of free play outdoors; this will not be true for most children growing up today. The effects of “nature deficit disorder” are now being noted across the country in epidemics of child obesity, attention disorders, and depression"

Artsand crafts
09-26-2013, 10:01 PM
I forgot to include the link, here you go: http://www.mothernaturesmov ie.com/the-film/

Dreamalittledream
09-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Thank you so much for posting this:). Unfortunately I was unable to watch (Ipad thing, I think) but the comment by a viewer really resonated with me
"May 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm I have just watched the trailer and I am sitting at my desk at school crying. My own children were blessed to live on our family farm and they were outside all year long, free to roam the fields and woods. I have taught at a Waldorf school where recess was abundant and we went out in any kind of weather to climb trees, stomp in the mud, dig in the sand, and play games together…I have also taught in regular public schools where recess is disappearing and children are more aquainted with the world of video games and television than with the world around them. My heart aches for all of us especially the children."
A little off topic but I too was a country girl, raised on a horse farm. The words abduction, assault etc. never entered my parents minds I'm sure and as a result I too was free to roam the fields and woods. T.V. was a special treat on weekends...Saturday morning cartoons.
So sad that my own children will never know this kind of existence.

betsy
09-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Free-play - outdoor and indoor - plays a vital role in the development of creativity in children.

Too much structure inhibits the imagination of a child, imho. I look back at my own childhood....not much structure then compared to now. I don't think moms in those days hear their children say, "I'm bored" that often.

There should be a fair balance between structure and freedom.

betsy
09-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Mind you, I remember a hair-raising escapade during my childhood, too!:D