PDA

View Full Version : Re: Hand leash

betsy
10-04-2013, 05:48 AM
I'm looking for hand leashes to use when I take children for walks. Joan Lunden's leash is not ideal for me since it does not restrict the toddler/pre-school child from "exploring"....it just keeps the child attached to you. Well, I try to teach children to be "street smart," and one of the things I drum into them is to be aware.
An "exploring" child could easily forget he's off the sidewalk. Some parents abhor the use of leashes because they say their child is not a puppy.

I'm looking for those old-fashion leashes that don't cater to political correctness in lieu of common sense, in other words. :)

Are they still available?

Dreamalittledream
10-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Hello. As for those against leash type things...I say whatever keeps the child safe:). I personally use those fabric children's belts that I tether to the wagon (or stroller) that my toddlers must hang on to while walking. A friend/fellow home daycare provider uses the plush character backpacks with leash (it looks like the animal's tail..very cute!) attached....here is the link to them on the walmart site (although you can often find these second hand).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goldbug-2-in-1-Monkey-Child-Safety-Harness/4532497

Dreamalittledream
10-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Also found the Velcro wrist leash at ToysRUs...pretty inexpensive. My relative found this very effective with her very very busy 2 year old...
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/outdoor-play/summer-safety/car-travel-safety/babies-r-us-easy-reach-safety-child-wrist-strap-3926103-13115899

playfelt
10-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Any of the leashes I have came from walmart but years ago and are the old fashion kind made of a navy webbing. I use them as seatbelts in my wagon. The harness goes on the child and the rein is wound through the bars on the wagon sides and I just clip them all in. We used the same process to turn any adult chair into a high chair when our kids were little and for many years for my special needs child that needed support when sitting. It is a good way to allow younger children to "sit" with the other kids but to be a bit off the floor.

Momof4
10-04-2013, 07:35 AM
I call them my Toddler Restraint Systems and they are little backpacks that cost about $20 at Walmart, but I'm sure you can buy them elsewhere. They are ponies, puppies, Elmo and other creatures and they are very cute on the kids but then they are attached to my wrists. I get looks of scorn from some people all the way ranging to people who comment on how safe I keep the children. You betcha, the kids in my care will not dart onto a busy street by accident, ever! I would have to live with that forever, so my walkers stay attched to me.

5 Little Monkeys
10-04-2013, 08:06 AM
I use the same as momof4 and I love it. The backup goes on their back and then does up around their waist so they can't slip out of it and the leash attaches to my wrist. When you are pushing a stroller and have 1 or 2 walkers it is just much more safe IMO.

However, I do understand why some people do not like them. It does sorta give the child a sense of false security and sometimes it makes the child not want to hold your hand when not using the leash because they are used to having more freedom. However, I still use them!!

Dreamalittledream
10-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Re: Backpacks...
... I get looks of scorn from some people...

I too got so many looks of scorn a couple of summers ago when I used the plush child's backpack with leash/tail that I held at a major theme park on our then 2 year old son. I just don't get it??!!

Skysue
10-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't use leashes however I am in a very quiet area with minimal traffic. If I were in a busier area I might entertain the idea.

I have had 2 go astray only once and they had major time outs and have yet to repeat the offense.

torontokids
10-04-2013, 01:51 PM
I have leashes attached to my stroller. My 2 three year olds hold them and if they let go it gets attached to their wrist (only happened once). I have the backpacks as well and I have only used them when we go for a walk on a really busy major street (I live downtown Toronto). If a kid is having a hard day and I have a spot in the stroller they get put in there. New kids are always attached to the strap by the wrist until I can trust them/they understand the rules. Kids also always walk on the side of the stroller away from the cars (they will switch sides when I tell them to) so there is an extra buffer between the kids and the cars. I bought my backpacks on ebay for $3 from China. They are cute bat wings so the kids love them.

godsgirl
10-04-2013, 02:01 PM
LOL! I thought I was the only one who uses these!! Man oh man! The stares I get and the comments I hear from the older kids playing on the school grounds (OMG! who would put their kid on a leash!? I never would! - oh yeah! You wait until you have little kids miss priss and your 2yo is running into the road....sorry...appa rently I'm a little sensitive with this topic. LOL!)
I actually think I'm probably quite a sight to see as I push a double stroller, the school girl walking ahead of us, and then have the 2 3yob's on either side of me attached to my wrists with these 'leashes'. 1 is a runner and the other is new and I haven't quite figured him out yet.
The one I use is amazing! I got it from Toys R Us and it came with a bear that the child would wear in the front. You could use this with the backpack thing or just as a wrist strap. I use it as a wrist strap bc the boy would always walk angled leaning forward so a basically had to hold him up (not fun so I pulled that idea). The strap that came with it is awesome because it isn't elastic like the others I have found and keeps this boy with me so he can't have any give on the rope. It's starting to fray but it does the trick The other strap I use is ok http://www.toysrus.com/buy/outdoor-p...26103-13115899 but it has give because it's elastic material so depending on the child it could become a game (hence why I don't use it on the other boy bc he turned it into a lets see how long this sucker can stretch and if the velcro let go that would REALLY hurt flying back onto my hand). This is the only one I can find anywhere though and I didn't want to buy all these backpack things just for the strap. Hope that helps

playfelt
10-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Scroll down to the rainbow one. That looks like the one I had I liked the most. It went on from the front and zipped in the back - unlike the real oldfashion kind that had buckles at the front. It was made of webbing and wore well. Got over 10 years of use out of that one.

http://www.oocities.org/safety4baby/toddler_reins_buddy. htm

betsy
10-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Also found the Velcro wrist leash at ToysRUs...pretty inexpensive. My relative found this very effective with her very very busy 2 year old...
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/outdoor-play/summer-safety/car-travel-safety/babies-r-us-easy-reach-safety-child-wrist-strap-3926103-13115899

Yehey! I used to have those Velcro....I love them! I'm glad to know they're still around! Thank you ladies for all the suggestions.

betsy
10-05-2013, 06:05 AM
This just makes me gag....whoever came up with the idea of using a grocery store for a photo-shoot to promote this leash must be just so
self-absorbed! No other people exists except the mom and her kids. :rolleyes:

http://www.kinderkord.com/productcart/pc/index.asp

It's bad enough trying to navigate around loose children in the grocery store....but to get entangled with this cord? Gimme a break!
"Aisle rage" is waiting to happen! :D

Furthermore... "exploration" in a grocery store must happen alongside a parent. It's a perfect teaching and bonding opportunity.
Products in a store are being sold by its owner - they are not toys to be manhandled (especially fresh produce) by children. Store staff try to keep their wares organized and presentable to the buyers.

I use the grocery stores, (or any public venue) to teach my children consideration for others. Like, we'd walk single-file in the aisle, that they only look but not touch, watch out for other shoppers, no shouting etc.., And I would explain why.
At one time, the manager of a store was so impressed by their behaviour that he praised them and gave them all a treat! Omigosh....their little chests were puffed up, and their smiles just say it all! They really felt proud of themselves! They were glowing.
Later I tell my children how I'm so proud of them. Also I tell them that just because other people don't say anything doesn't mean they don't notice how well-behaved they are.

On another occasion, I got two older boys browsing at the comic section. I taught them to handle the comics properly and to put them back exactly where they got them. I also explained about sales - people won't buy a ripped item, etc.,
The owner overheard me and said it's the first time he'd heard someone teach the kids that, and he thanked me.

Momof4
10-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Oh betsy, you are right, and good for you for being such a nice person to educate others when you see something that you can help correct, even in public. I live near downtown in my city where the university students are rampant and some of them are awfully rude. I have to go get groceries today and I always dread it. They stand in the middle of the aisles as if they own the place.

When I saw the ad you posted here I thought THESE were the children who are now the university students without manners!!!!! I'm not saying all university students are like that, there are many polite, wonderful students too. Same goes for the high school that is across the street from my house and between my house and one of our regular parks. Some of those students will be swearing right in front of my dckids and then some of their friends will ask them to watch their language because there are children around them.

However, it all starts when they are babies and that's why we are trying to teach as many children as we can how to be good people. At least that's my daily goal.