PDA

View Full Version : Having Second Thoughts about daycare....

betsy
10-06-2013, 09:03 AM
....because I'm very much attracted to fostering. The only information I've managed to find are those of fostering agencies or government sites. I do want to know more about it from the viewpoint/experience(s) of foster parents.
Anyone knows of any foster parents forums?

Do we have any foster parent(s) on this site?

playfelt
10-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I do know from some friends in the past that it is very difficult to do both fostering and daycare because the foster children count in your daycare numbers so your spaces for both pursuits become limited. As well there are foster rules by age too I think as in only so many infants/toddlers per home.

Also since you would be dealing with children of all ages that may have gone through traumatic events their behaviour can be at times off the wall as well as there being many appointments for them as they settle in. Those would require you to close or get a fill in provider for your daycare since you need to attend with the child to learn your part in the care. Again something that might turn off prospective parents from your daycare.

If your fostering focus is narrowed to only take a certain age or type of situation it might be more possible to balance both.

betsy
10-07-2013, 05:25 AM
I do know from some friends in the past that it is very difficult to do both fostering and daycare because the foster children count in your daycare numbers so your spaces for both pursuits become limited. As well there are foster rules by age too I think as in only so many infants/toddlers per home.

Also since you would be dealing with children of all ages that may have gone through traumatic events their behaviour can be at times off the wall as well as there being many appointments for them as they settle in. Those would require you to close or get a fill in provider for your daycare since you need to attend with the child to learn your part in the care. Again something that might turn off prospective parents from your daycare.

If your fostering focus is narrowed to only take a certain age or type of situation it might be more possible to balance both.

I'm thinking that if ever I get to become a foster parent, I may not get involved in daycare at all, or if I keep the daycare it will be only on part-time basis (depending on the age(s) and numbers of my foster children. I'd like to be able to fully concentrate on the foster children.
Having other children to play/socialize with is one very attractive benefit of providing daycare not to mention that daycare would provide some income.