PDA

View Full Version : Tick tock....

mom-in-alberta
08-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Is it so wrong that I am counting down the days until I am off for a month? LoL
Aug 31st is my last day, with Baby #4 due sometime around the 9th, I am taking the month of Sept as "mat leave".
Just wondering if any of you who have done this before (ie; had a baby while providing childcare to kids OTHER than your own) had any advice?
I have a few parents who are quite nervous about my return at the beginning of Oct. And although I have let them know that the only thing that will delay that is some kind of unforeseen medical complication (God forbid!!), I will admit that now the time is coming, I am worried. Financially, I didn't feel as though I COULD take more than a month off, but am I setting myself up for a ridiculously chaotic life?
I have already warned the parents that there will, in all likelihood, be days when I answer the door in my jammies. And I hope that they understand that we may be scaling back the activities, even playing outside, etc for a little bit.
Sigh.... am I just freaking out? :blink:

playfelt
08-23-2011, 08:34 AM
The scaling back the program is the part the parents have to accept as well as you as the provider has to accept and that can be a hard lesson for both. I started daycare when my first was almost 2 and my second 4 months. My last two kids were born into the daycare - both were born on a Wed, I came home from the hospital Fri and I was back to daycare on Monday BUT.....it was "care" not a full daycare program as we know it. I fed, changed bums, provided a playroom of stuff to do and kept an eye out for safety, nice play, etc. I read no stories, offered no crafts, did no outings to the park, etc. - they just played. And my parents were ok with that as they felt the continuity for them and the children was more important than learning a new ABC song or colour of the week and for that I am grateful. Gradually we got back into routine as the baby started napping more regularly and I could concentrate. When you have to do things for your other kids anyways it goes better and while you remain tired for ever you just do it. I did take to sleeping in my clothes so I was dressed when I answered the door instead of jammies, etc. so I at least looked like I was able to start the day even if I wasn't sure by that point what day or time it actually was. Sending positive delivery vibes your way.

lilac
08-24-2011, 12:01 PM
I count down the days to my vacation... (and since my next break will be my own mat leave... I'm counting that too!) even if you LOVE your job, everyone looks forward to a break now and then...
Good luck with your new baby!

mamaof4
08-24-2011, 03:08 PM
not wrong at all!

mom-in-alberta
08-24-2011, 08:52 PM
:D
Well, to allay my own worries/concerns and those of the parents, I wrote up my newsletter a little early with some reminders. Mostly that any kind of disruption in routine will be temporary and even though we may not be doing as many structured activities, their kids will receive the same love and care that they usually do.
Thanks, playfelt; I do feel better. And I sort of figured I would be a walking zombie anyway for a bit, may as well continue to earn my income too. LoL