PDA

View Full Version : Vent!! - potty training parents

2cuteboys
10-21-2013, 09:45 AM
I just don't get these parents. They have a little boy who is past due on potty training - parents started "training" him in Feb. by putting him in pull-ups and expecting him to just get it. We started a bit more intensely over the summer, but I suspected he didn't know when he was wet, and likely couldn't feel it with his pull-ups on. I told them I wasn't willing to put him in just underwear here but suggested they try for a couple hours a day in just underwear or bare, so he could link the feeling of going with the act of going. I also suggested putting underwear on under his pull-ups to feel wetness. That was August.

Last week they talked about how they planned on putting underwear on under his pull ups, I encouraged it, "hope it goes well, good luck" and all that. He shows up today with them on... for the first time. I should mention that it was a 3 day weekend. I have a hard time believing they couldn't have spared a couple of hours to introduce it to him at home.

I'm not going to complain, because I'm just thankful that they are taking a step in the right direction. But honestly, I've told them over and over that I'm not the first step in implementing things, but I will continue with THEIR WORK. I don't understand how this went backwards in their minds.

Happy Monday everyone!

dodge__driver11
10-21-2013, 09:51 AM
See my thread toilet training...I think we all dislike this part of child care heh.....Good luck!

Sassygirl
10-21-2013, 09:56 AM
I am not looking forward to this. I currently have all toddlers but in the spring I plan on starting to train my own son.
I agree with the underwear inside the pull up. Personally I am not a big fan of pull ups because kids can't feel when they have gone.
I am really hoping that all of my parents (who are first time parents) will follow my lead and my advice when this comes up.
Good luck to you!!!

2cuteboys
10-21-2013, 09:57 AM
See my thread toilet training...I think we all dislike this part of child care heh.....Good luck!

I literally just responded to yours too!

Artsand crafts
10-21-2013, 12:13 PM
There are now pull ups that get wet from inside. They are sold in Walmart. In the package reads "Cool Alert". I found them when I was about to start potty training my son and after my recommendation a dcg that is currently being potty trained is using them. Parents here need to start the potty training first and I support their efforts. I tell them when I think kids are ready to start training at home, how it is going to work here and also ask them to read again my potty training policy posted in my webpage.