PDA

View Full Version : Lots of hitting from 15 month old

JennJubie
10-25-2013, 07:39 AM
So I need some advice: I have a 15 month old DCB and he is constantly hitting. I tell him no, I separate him from the other child he's hit, I don't put him on time out as he's so young, and immediately console the child who has been hit. Thing is, this little guy will run right back and start hitting again. He was sitting beside my dd yesterday, and he slapped her in the face 3 times before I could scoop him up:( He hits Mom and Dad in the face every time they pick him up, and at the very least, Mom has asked for suggestions from me.

How do you guys deal with a child who is so young and constantly hitting? ....and its not limited to hitting FYI, he pushed over another DCB his age, and the little guy hit face first on my hard wood floor :(

Crayola kiddies
10-25-2013, 07:52 AM
I would set up a super yard if you have one or a playpen and every time he hits you say "no hitting" and put him the playpen with toys if his own . After a while let him to try again and every time he hits he goes back eventually he will get it.

Dreamalittledream
10-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Great advice with playpen:). Also make sure he knows that hitting hurts. "Ouch!" An idea that I have seen work for parents who's child hits @ pickup....immediatel y say "Ouch!" "No Hit" and put him down on the floor immediately.

Sassygirl
10-25-2013, 10:10 AM
I totally agree with the playyard idea. I have used that for some kiddos that were hitting for a while.
Just wondering... could he be tired? My own son and another dcb both get quite defiant and hit when its approaching nap time.

JennJubie
10-25-2013, 11:18 AM
He does it all day long. And he naps well! He seems to think it's funny.

Sassygirl
10-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Uggghhh, well hopefully its stopped soon.
One of my dcb would smack his mom first thing when she came to get him every day. He would laugh too. It lasted about a month after I got on his mom about being very firm with him about doing it.
All these wonderful phases, the hitting phase, the biting phase... Grrr.

5 Little Monkeys
10-25-2013, 12:57 PM
I agree with the playpen idea. Be consistent and put him in that every time he hits. If you are outside or somewhere where the playpen isn't accessible, make him sit with you for so long. Eventually he will learn to not hit!! Good luck!