PDA

View Full Version : Air Mattress

madlibbs_auntie
10-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Hey! I'm just starting my HDC and have no crib mattresses and only one play pen but lots of air mattresses. Is this allowed? I've searched this forum(as much as I could) and "googled" it but could find no definite answer. I know for myself I'd much rather sleep on an air mattress than a sleeping mat or cot but I'm also not a 2-4 yr. old! Any ideas if this is safe? ppl take kids camping and they sleep on them there right? I am in Southwest Ontario if that matters. Eventually I would get proper sleeping gear but if this is allowed and I have an abundance why spend the moolah? How would parents react?
Thanks Anyone!
Loving this forum! So informative!!!

Fun&care
10-28-2013, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't do it. Air mattresses are a suffocation hazard. I wouldn't take the risk as a provider and I know I wouldn't want my children sleeping on them at daycare. Just my opinion.

mickyc
10-28-2013, 07:58 AM
I would just have the children sleep on the floor for now on blankets until you buy sleep cots/mats.

Dreamalittledream
10-28-2013, 08:09 AM
If you're near a border, I got these great sleep cots @ Walmart.com.
$22.99 each. Love them! I've been using them for a year now and they still look new.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Travel-Bed/4433186
They have some really cute nap mats (pillow attached) in all different patterns to go with them (range $12-$20 ea.).
I have my under 2's in playpens, the rest are on cots.

madlibbs_auntie
10-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys! Suffocation was my worry with this but wasnt sure if I was on the right track!! Thanks again!

pink
10-28-2013, 09:28 AM
You should ask the parents to supply you with their own playpen. It's in my contract, to date I have had no issues from parents bringing their own playpens.

mimi
10-28-2013, 09:57 AM
I supply the playpens. My husband installs terry cloth covered ply wood bases instead of the ones that come with the playpen as the plastic insides will crack and break over time. I then put on a crib sheet, thick comforter and an additional thin blanket on top for cushioning and then a blanket to go on the child for sleep.
I would not use the air mattresses as I would worry they might deflate and become a suffocation hazard.

Artsand crafts
10-28-2013, 11:13 AM
You could buy cots or playpens in some locations of Once Upon a child, Kijiji or craigslist. I just bought brand new good quality cots at $25 each from Kijiji from a providers that ended up not needing them.

kassiemom
01-14-2014, 07:37 AM
check out freecycle.org its like a free kijiji. also put it out there on Facebook and ask friends and family. I would def say no to an air mattress not safe in any way. I have one of those Rigalo cots and got it at toys r us for around $30 we bought it for my daughter for camping and now use it for daycare. it folds away so nicely like a chair in a bag

Sassygirl
01-14-2014, 07:42 AM
I have all my daycare parents supply their own playpens. I plan on keeping these kiddos in playpens for as long as possible safety wise.
When the time comes I may have them sleep on the pads from the playpens on the floor or look into purchasing some cots.

33 Daiseys
01-24-2017, 09:48 AM
i would not take the chance. I would start with the parents supplying their own , and each paycheck build your inventory. I would not buy new unless you have a chance to go over to the states. I bought three very good quality pack and play's for less then 100.00:) I try to get everything in the sates as I find even with the exchange rate, I save at least half.

Busy ECE mommy
01-24-2017, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't do it from a liability standpoint. Suffocation is a real concern, and not worth the risk.
I use pack n plays for the under 2's(or put them on cots sooner if they can climb out) Cots by 2 years here.