PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about ROOKIE MISTAKES :)

CPST_Manda
08-24-2011, 09:34 AM
I'd love it if any of you would be willing to share your "rookie mistakes" so that I may avoid some (or all :woot:) of them!

I'm planning on taking 2 or 3 kids into my home in addition to my 3yo and 19mo DS and DD respectively.

lilac
08-24-2011, 11:57 AM
#1/Taking on kids w/o meeting them first.... my very first clients turned out to be friends, their daycare was closing by the time I'd be opening, so they dropped their kids off at their current daycare and then came to interview me in July, signed on basically right away, and I didnt bring the kids to meet me until the Friday before I was supposed to start with them.... NEVER AGAIN... one family, kids turned out to be a bully and when I terminated b/c of this, mom refused to pay me.

#2/taking a deposit.... so I dont get a repeat of the above! :)

Nifer
08-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Taking on any family you are remotely freinds with. Harder to keep business seperate from friendship.

Doing any special favor for any of the families-i.e. take early/stay late one day, or agree to take not on their reg scheduled day-on thst day.(perhaps only if they are willing to bring cash at the time of).

Def agree with never take on family if you don't meet the child first. Haven't done it, and never will :S

KingstonMom
08-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Read Judy Trickett's blong INSIDE AND OUT. Memorize her style and live by it :)

http://www.justthebabysitte r.com/2009/04/meet-babysitter.html

i wish i knew half this stuff before starting out, underpaid, under respected and stuck with a kid im not happy with.

Judy Trickett
08-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Read Judy Trickett's blong INSIDE AND OUT. Memorize her style and live by it :)

http://www.justthebabysitte r.com/2009/04/meet-babysitter.html

i wish i knew half this stuff before starting out, underpaid, under respected and stuck with a kid im not happy with.

Aw, shucks.....:o

CPST_Manda
08-24-2011, 02:57 PM
LOVE the blog! Just started reading but have to take a break to prepare dinner :)

Looking forward to reading more. Absolutely LOVED "in it for the money" LOL

mom-in-alberta
08-24-2011, 04:39 PM
- have clear cut policies in place, in writing, that your parents agree to, in writing!! especially about things like fees (when they are due, how much, what you will do if they aren't paid, etc) and hours of operation (when are you "open" and when are you "closed", what if a family requires care outside of those hours, what if someone is late)

- decide what YOU want out of your business and stick with it... don't conform to a families wants just to fill a spot. Unless you learn that your expectations are widely out of the norm for your area, don't change things just because someone says "well every other provider....." some people will say anything. And once you've taken a family on; it's not fun to be stuck in a position you despise or face terminating because you rushed into it

- if you can, decide what age groups you would prefer to care for and ONLY take kids that match up to that. Sometimes you need to work with an age group to figure that out, though! I needed to care for school age kids in order to realize that I don't actually do well with that age group and prefer not to work with them

- be direct with parents from the beginning. Don't sugarcoat things like your routine or the food you serve or your methods of discipline because you are getting the idea that they may not like it. Be 100% honest about the care you intend to provide, or it will cause problems later. And if you have questions for them, or think that they may be glossing over a possible issue, ASK THEM

- realize that no matter how much you prepare, you will probably still make "mistakes"!! But do your best, learn your lessons, adapt your policies as needed (lol) and move on

GOOD LUCK!!!! :)

Play and Learn
08-24-2011, 05:05 PM
* Have a non-refundable deposit, and use it for their first two weeks of care.

* Have a backbone - this is YOUR business

* Demand that parents and children alike treat you and your property (and family) with respect

* Payment is due at the beginning of the week at drop-off. OR there will be no care!

* Have a manual and contract ready (if you need help - PM me)

* Like an above poster stated, don't sugarcoat. BE HONEST, and hopefully they'll be honest and truthful back to ya!

* Don't have families push you around/walk over you (backbone). You set your hours, go by them!

* DON'T DO SPECIAL!!!!!

That's all I can think of for now....
Good luck! :D

Quinella
08-25-2011, 08:35 AM
* Have a non-refundable deposit, and use it for their first two weeks of care.

* Have a backbone - this is YOUR business

* Demand that parents and children alike treat you and your property (and family) with respect

* Payment is due at the beginning of the week at drop-off. OR there will be no care!

* Have a manual and contract ready (if you need help - PM me)

* Like an above poster stated, don't sugarcoat. BE HONEST, and hopefully they'll be honest and truthful back to ya!

* Don't have families push you around/walk over you (backbone). You set your hours, go by them!

* DON'T DO SPECIAL!!!!!

That's all I can think of for now....
Good luck! :D
That's an amazing post here. I agree with every single point of yours!