PDA

View Full Version : SPINNY: Do Vaccinations Come Up?

CPST_Manda
08-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Do parents ask about the status of children in your care? OR YOURS?

I didn't really give it much thought but my own kids are not vaccinated. We don't tell people that they are vax-free since most people can't understand why we would make that choice and see me as a child abusing zealot (that last one was mostly the online mommies I know LOL)

How do you handle this?

Play and Learn
08-24-2011, 10:19 AM
I believe there is a thread started on this as well.

Personally, I didn't ask, and I don't really care.

Sandbox Sally
08-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I have interviewed with nine families since opening my home daycare, and it hasn't come up once. As a parent, I would not ask either. I also think it is ridiculous that such rules are in place in public schools and public daycares.

CPST_Manda
08-24-2011, 10:31 AM
I believe there is a thread started on this as well.

Personally, I didn't ask, and I don't really care.

I did do a search on vaccinations/vaccines and the only one that came up was the one that is currently being posted in. Would you mind linking me to the thread you are talking about so busy dcp's aren't repeating themselves? TIA :)

Judy Trickett
08-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Do parents ask about the status of children in your care? OR YOURS?

I didn't really give it much thought but my own kids are not vaccinated. We don't tell people that they are vax-free since most people can't understand why we would make that choice and see me as a child abusing zealot (that last one was mostly the online mommies I know LOL)

How do you handle this?

Well, I'll stand with you in the "fire at will at the Zealots" line up.:D

We are non-vaxers. And to be honest, I don't go around with a sign on my forehead that says, "ask me if I vax my kids". But I am also soooooooooooo over trying not to make waves or save everyone else their audible *gasp* that now if it comes up I just tell them straight up. I just don't plain old care anymore.

And yes, I DO tell them (if it NATURALLY comes up in convo during an interview) that I have non-vaxed kids in care - mine and some of my dckids. But I don't offer names; that is non of anyone else's business. If they don't like it then ...............NEXT!

I don't sit there and judge THEM and refuse THEM care because their kids ARE vaxed so if they can't offer me the same consideration I don't want them part of my daycare.

If I could FILL my daycare with non-vaxed kids I would be in HEAVEN!:D

mom-in-alberta
08-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Hehehe.... there have been a couple of discussions on here re: vaccinations and I have noticed that it tends to be a hot button for some!! :P
Personally, I have 3 kids that ARE vaxed and one on the way that I have not yet decided about. I have a number of kids in care right now, and I honestly don't care if they have had them or not. It has never come up in an interview, and if it did, I would tell them my kids' situation but not the d/c kids. If they were concerned, I may tell them either "yes, they all have the up to date" or "no, some of them do not". Or flat out that I don't know. I would not reveal WHO does not have the vaxes done. That's a privacy thing for me. Then it is their decision as to what they are comfortable with.