PDA

View Full Version : Selling your home

pink
11-04-2013, 08:34 AM
We might have to sell our home, in the past as soon as parents see a for sale sign they want to quit. What has been your experience in trying to sell your home?

dodge__driver11
11-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Honestly I would not put a sign out on the lawn. Its listed in several places and that is not needed. I would give your parents notice as soon as you have sold, and no sooner; I tried to take the "high road" and tell them what was happening, and dug a huge hole. Parents will always look out for them first.

Dreamalittledream
11-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Completely agree; unless you are planning to stay within the same neighborhood, I would opt out of a yard sign as well.

Wonderwiper
11-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Hmmm....guess we were lucky! We sold our house last year. I told all my families we were doing renos to get ready to sell (floors, paint, trims and 3 bathrooms). They all stayed until the bitter end...including 6 weeks of renovations where daycare was in my daughters bedroom! We had a sign on the lawn.

We moved too far so no one came with us. One mom kept sending me listings from her neighbourhood ha ha!

Best of luck with everything!

playfelt
11-04-2013, 11:54 AM
I think it depends too on the timeline you are looking at. We have moved based on military transfers but always knew the earliest it would happen was July so that was the time frame I used as in daycare will end when the school year ends so families knew in January when we found out they were planning for summer. Guess it depends too on your area and how scarce care is so you take it when you get it. Also the opposite as in how competitive if parents are goaded into taking a space earlier by a desperate caregiver.

I agree on no lawn sign and keep renos as quiet as you can doing the out of the limelight things first - ie painting could be just because. At the same time if a parent comes out and asks you be honest. In most cases there is 60-90 days before closing so three months is plenty of time for parents to find care. They just need to know that you are not going to quit early on them too.

godsgirl
11-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Great Question! Thank you for asking as my family is starting to think about this as well. Thank you play felt for your comment. I am a military family as well and we have a feeling that we will be moving next posting season.

bright sparks
11-07-2013, 02:14 PM
I think it would be beneficial if you could tell us if you are staying within the area? Would parents have the option to come to your new place? If so how long have the kiddies been with you as this effects the loyalty the parents feel towards you.

littlesun
02-17-2014, 10:17 AM
I totally agree with the second commenter. You need to post the advertising of your property at different websites like http://localmartca.com/ to make your chances bigger. Write a house description, don’t forget about the repair you have made, number of rooms, location, all amenities etc. Add professional photos of each room and the general photo of the house to attract more potential buyers. When I was selling our old house I did all these things. Study the market prices to know what is the objective price for your house. You know, when we are trying to sell our property sometimes emotions don’t let us be objective. Before advertising the house you need to clean it from top to bottom. A clean home will help an appraiser see your house in a better light. You can also have your home inspected , but in this case you might be required to make some repairs to appliances, electrical, plumbing or heating systems.

mickyc
02-17-2014, 04:44 PM
We listed our house a month ago. I let my families know our plans. I feel it is only fair to give them a head's up and hope they show me the same respect when they making changes in their lives as well. I assured them all I was going to continue daycare IF we move and that I hope they would all continue to send their child(ren) to me. I ended up having 1 family leave (not sure if that was the reason) but so be it. Everyone else said they will wait and see IF we sell and what end of the City we would move to. How do they know I won't move closer to them? Also if we don't get close to our asking price I won't move and I also need to find a house acceptable for running my daycare before I say I will move.

I ended up filling the spot quickly and the family is hoping that I move because it is out of their way to come here now.

daycaremom9
02-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Also perhaps do some purging so the house doesn't look like it's busting at the seams.lol