PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up after an interview

kh1214
08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Hello Ladies,

I am new to running a daycare and have only just started looking for children. I have had quite a few interviews over the last two weeks and when the parents leave they say they will let me know asap. Some parents said they would let me know by the end of the week because they are meeting with other providers, yet a week and a half has passed and I have heard nothing! Some parents have been great and let me know one way or the other very soon afterwards.

Basically I am wondering how you guys handle a follow-up interview. Do you call them/e-mail them asking them or just let them respond in their own time? I am really unsure of how to handle this. I have met with parents who seem very interested and happy with my home and we make no agreement so I don't feel like I have to hold a spot for them yet on the other hand I don't want them to be upset if they do choose to go with me and I have filled all my spots! I just don't know what to do!

Any advice?

Play and Learn
08-25-2011, 03:07 PM
If I want a certain family, I will send them an email or call to let them know that I am interested in having their child in my care, and to let me know by "set" date as the spot might be taken. After getting this email, they tend to respond back.

But don't feel bad if they don't. I find that people in general this day and age don't have the common courtesy to call back just to say yay or nay.

Spixie33
08-25-2011, 04:46 PM
If I want a certain family, I will send them an email or call to let them know that I am interested in having their child in my care, and to let me know by "set" date as the spot might be taken. After getting this email, they tend to respond back.

But don't feel bad if they don't. find that people in general this day and age don't have the common courtesy to call back just to say yay or nay I.

I usually haven't ever contacted anyone back but I really agree with the last part.

Parents often say they are happy and will let you know but chances are that usually means no. You can usually tell the ones that are really interested.

I do try to nail it down to a specific time frame by asking families I think could work "So when do you plan to make your decision by?"

Then I wait that week or two weeks or whatever they say and leave it at that.

Some parents say they will let you know either way - but you hear nothing. It just seems to be the name of the game. I guess they figure no answer is an answer but it is hard when you see a family and hope they will contact you because they seem nice and then wait and hope and check the machine every day and hear nothing back. It is disheartening. :(

That said...I have probably done the same thing when I was interviewing as a parent. I think parents don't realize that there really is a provider wondering and waiting to hear something back;)

Judy Trickett
08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't chase people. If you want care here then YOU need to get back to me or the spot will likely be gone to someone else who WAS on the ball.

If I REALLY like an interviewing family (and I mean I have to REALLY like them) then I will shoot off a thanks for meeting with me email a few hours after they leave the interview. Otherwise I move on and keep interviewing the next family.

90% of families you interview, unless they want the spot, will NOT get back to you.

FS2011
08-25-2011, 11:45 PM
If I really like a certain family, I always send an email inviting them to register and sign up. After all, the choice is mine...it's my business. I may think it's not going to work. I'm not waiting around. If I haven't heard back with in 48 hours, I move on.

Sandbox Sally
08-26-2011, 10:06 AM
I do send out emails after a good interview telling the parents what a pleasure it was to meet them and their little one. I close it by saying, 'hope to hear from you soon'.

I also have a stipulation in my contract that if the parent wants the space, they must return the deposit and signed contract to me within seven days of the interview. I also bring this up when they are with me so they don't skim over. I make sure the parents realize that I will not hold a spot if I don't hear from them in a timely manner.

mom-in-alberta
08-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I most definitely do not hold a spot for a family that I've interviewed until I hear a for sure yes, and they come and get my paperwork, etc. I will continue to interview for that space.
Unfortunately, people tend to think now-a-days that not giving you an answer is giving you an answer! Grrrr. I have had one family, I think, call to say "thanks, but no thanks".
Usually, though, if they are interested you will hear back right away. Even if it means them calling/emailing to say "we have 2 more interviews, but you are our first choice right now". If you really liked a family and think that they would be a good fit, by all means I would contact them to say "Great to meet you! I feel like we hit it off, and would like to give you first dibs on a spot if you feel the same. Please contact me within (timeframe), and if I don't hear from you, I will assume that you have found another provider. Thanks, looking forward to speaking to you later!"