PDA

View Full Version : Chairries

torontokids
11-07-2013, 01:01 PM
I am looking to get ride of my highchairs as they take up too much space and I find the kids trip over them. I have a couple kids I would still like "strapped in" at the small children's table where the rest eat. Anyone know of chairs I can purchase with a lap belt and where? I have heard of "chairries" but cannot find them used or at a decent price in Canada. Thanks

5 Little Monkeys
11-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Might be tacky but I would just use a normal belt.

I have a coffee table from Ikea that is quite wide for a coffee table and that is the children's table. I then have the pink and green Ikea plastic chairs for them to sit on and a belt would work on those but not sure what kind of chairs you have

gravy_train
11-07-2013, 01:16 PM
I use a seat that sits on a dining room chair and has a harness strap. It was on sale at Toys R Us for about $20. It comes with a tray but I just took it off and the child eats off the table. I'll try to find a picture and post it for you.

gravy_train
11-07-2013, 01:19 PM
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId= 11985920

Check this one out ...

torontokids
11-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Yeah, the booster seats aren't suitable to attach a child sized chair unfortunately.

torontokids
11-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Might be tacky but I would just use a normal belt.

I have a coffee table from Ikea that is quite wide for a coffee table and that is the children's table. I then have the pink and green Ikea plastic chairs for them to sit on and a belt would work on those but not sure what kind of chairs you have

I have the Ikea Kritter chairs. I had thought about using something homemade but thought it would be a bit iffy

5 Little Monkeys
11-07-2013, 01:44 PM
I was wondering that too but I can't see what the difference would be? A belt would be easier to clean as well.

AmandaKDT
11-07-2013, 01:49 PM
I am looking to get ride of my highchairs as they take up too much space and I find the kids trip over them. I have a couple kids I would still like "strapped in" at the small children's table where the rest eat. Anyone know of chairs I can purchase with a lap belt and where? I have heard of "chairries" but cannot find them used or at a decent price in Canada. Thanks

Not sure if you have checked Scholar's Choice, but they have Chairries. They are also having a Family and Friends sale starting tomorrow -20% off for members and 10% off for non-members.

playfelt
11-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Part of the problem with having the children that low is that you do a lot of bending over to serve and help them eat and that is hard on the back which is why getting them up to adult level with highchairs was the norm.

For our special needs child we used the harnesses with the rein - used those for everything to stabilize her. Harness goes on child and rein goes through chair wound tightly. Prevents child from standing up and although they can still slide forward if they are tight enough that will be limited and the table in the way will help.

If space is an issue there are children's tables that fold like a cardtable you could use and then stack the chairs. The advantage of the harness is that it prevents the total slide which just a seat belt doesn't so is safer for the youngest.

You would do better to just use an adult chair and the booster with tray on that chair and have the littlest just sit near the group that is at the childsize table. There are some boosters that fold up for storage.

5 Little Monkeys
11-08-2013, 08:02 AM
I used to have the normal size table and booster seats on chairs and a highchair. I hated it!! Had to lift all the kids into their chairs and then out of, the highchair took up so much room and the booster seats were a pain to clean.

The table I have now is the perfect size! They can all get on their own chair, they are easy to clean after every meal and if I need to sit with them, I either sit on the floor or on one of the chairs I got from a school. It's a kid sized chair but with metal legs. It supports my plus sized butt just fine :)

It's all your own preference but I highly recommend child sized table and chairs. I have back issues and this has helped! I have thought about what happens if I take a young child again but I kept one of the booster seats just in case!