PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions???

Katskids
08-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I have looked through other threads but haven't seen an answer so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them! I have a 3 year old dck who seriously won't eat anything but hot dogs, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, smiley face fries and broccoli!!! I make my own nuggets so know they are healthy as is broccoli obviously, but the other items are pretty limited in nutritious value. I know they won't hurt him but seem like empty calories to me. Hiding veggies won't work.... He would never touch a casserole and even with pizza he wants everything scrapped off, even the cheese!!! His parents are happy as long as he eats something but I would feel better if he ate something more than cardboard!! Thanks for any tips!

abc123
08-26-2011, 11:52 AM
If you make grilled cheese with whole grain bread and real cheese (I also don't add butter,etc.) then it's actually quite good for them. Would he maybe eat sweet potatoe fries? If you make them homemade and bake them, they would a good choice, but I'm guessing the colour would throw him off right away! No suggestions really for the hot dogs!

Play and Learn
08-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Have you tried having him eat a casserole? My hubby makes some really yummy ones (Campbells is great for recipes), and ALL my dcks eat the casseroles, and sometimes asks for more!

I only make one thing. I don't give options as it's my choice and my business. If they don't like it they can starve. They can always have healthies at snack time.

Same thing goes at more daycare centers (as I have worked at a few - about 4 different ones - in the past).

mom-in-alberta
08-26-2011, 03:23 PM
I freely admit that I am a bit of a hard-nose about food around here.
I make what I make and you either eat it or you don't, it's your choice. I try to include something fairly kid-friendly and "neutral" at each meal. Even at that, I have kids that won't touch the stuff you would normally think of as a fan-favourite! LoL. I also have a policy that you eat all of your first serving of a meal or snack before seconds of anything else. I found this necessary, as I have a couple of kids that would exist on french fries if I let them. That being said, I will evaluate the food I make. If it seems to be 2 thumbs down all around a few times in a row, I will shelf that idea for lunch/snack for a little while. No sense in wasting food (and my money!).
The way I see it is; really and truly if they are hungry they will eat. I am responsible for one meal a day, 5 days a week (plus snacks, if you want to include them). Mom and dad are responsible for the other 2 during the week and all of the food intake when the kiddos aren't with me! It's really them that will set the expectation. You can do all that you feel like you can, but if McDonalds is a daily staple at home.... hard to beat that.
Maybe if you do feel like he's wasting away, you can offer what you have made for the meal and if he refuses, have a fruit or veggie tray ready for him to choose from? Of course, be prepared to be doling that out to everyone. You can't very well say "no, you eat your whole plate first" but give this little guy his way.

mamaof4
08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
i like mom in alberta's solution

Skysue
08-26-2011, 09:36 PM
That sounds great I have a 3 year old who only eats nutella, mac n cheese and cereal, the odd time melon if it's a good day. The Mom told me no nutella for 2 weeks as she wanted me to be a hard a$$, I was pretty upset when I found out he was getting it for breakfast at home. Not cool.

I used to get pretty stressed out about this but seriously it's not my problem, fussy kids are fussy because they are allowed to be. Your lucky as you dck sound like the eat a ton! LOL I know you can buy nitrate free hot dogs for a kosher food store just a thought!