PDA

View Full Version : Daycare year end receipts

FunnyFarm
11-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Does anyone mind sharing what info you need to give your clients on their year end receipts for taxes? I'm in Ontario. Is it just the total that they have paid you? do you include your business name/address etc? First year that I'm doing this :) Thanks

mimi
11-11-2013, 05:07 PM
I include my full name, what charges pertain to full time and part time care and that total and the name of the parents and the dc child. I do not give out my sin # or address. If the parent has an issue with Revenue Canada, then I will speak to that representative. As a victim of identity theft a few years ago, no one gets more personal info than necessary.

Daisy123
11-11-2013, 06:31 PM
I agree with mimi. Never give out your SIN. What I did was to register as a small business with the govt of Ont. They'll issue you a business number. That's what I put on my receipts along with what mimi mentioned.

someone
01-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Never, never, never give your SIN to anyone who is not your employer (a company you work for). And since you are self employed, this also includes your daycare parents. If Revenue Canada contacts any of my families, then I ask them for a copy of their letter with the contact information for Revenue Canada, then you can deal with Revenue Canada directly with a call, or a sealed letter if required. Do not let them fool you into saying they need it for their income taxes. I have been doing personal income tax for over 20+ years and I never put in a sin number for their daycare provider....includin g my own. Hope this helps.

sandylynn
01-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Am very curious...why do daycare providers advertise that they provide receipts...is that not the norm? Or are therea large percentage that DO NOT GIVE RECEIPTS..?

MonkeyPrincess
01-17-2014, 12:40 PM
some providers don't give receipts thinking that if they don't, they don't have to claim the income. Perhaps those providers want to differentiate themselves from the ones that don't necessarily follows the 'rules'.

happy@home
01-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Here is a link to the receipt I use. I have included my SIN # but felt very nervous doing so. Next year I will leave it out.
http://solutionone.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Child-Care-Expense-Receipt-for-Income-Tax-Purposes-Tem._distributed.pdf

Sassygirl
01-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Uh oh. I have put my SIN on all of the reciepts I handed out. I would write down the amount paid to me each week and just tallied it up by month then added that all up. I gave out the little slips from the dollar store receipt books with "Childcare services for xxx from xxx to xxx 2013 $xxx" with my signature and SIN. It says it on the Revenue Canada page so that it what I have done but am not feeling very paranoid.

playfelt
01-17-2014, 04:10 PM
I have always given my SIN because that is what the revenue Canada website says is required and because when I first started daycare the SIN was used by many places as ID rather than a driver's license. That of course has changed and the SIN is no longer acceptable ID in most cases as in they aren't allowed to ask to see it. Another one of those cases where the rules makes no sense since you can't protect something which it says to do on one page if you have to start tossing it around to 10 people a year according to another page.

I do have a disclaimer on my page saying the parent is responsible for keeping number safe or shredding document when no longer needed and that they will be held liable for any damages I suffer due to their negligence. Not going to protect me fully in identity fraud case but at least a start.

Polkaroo
02-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Here are the guidelines from CRA.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/dycr/rcpts-eng.html

This has all the information you need. Cheers!