PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start!?

Cassandra2013
11-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Hello, I am an ece and I currently work in a licenced child care. I would love to open my own home private child care. I understand I can only have 5 children and I will need insurance but I don't know where or how to start? In a private child care how do u make the children food or even go to the washroom yourself? I know in licenced child care they can't be left alone is this the same for private home child care? Any advice would be great I live in York region so how much do I charge per child? Thanks!

mickyc
11-18-2013, 12:54 PM
I had my husband put a kitchenette in my basement. I do everything in my basement so I am with the kids all the time. I do sometimes go upstairs to put something in the oven or when I go to the bathroom myself. I can hear the kids from where I am and my parents sign a "sight and sound policy" in my contract - that means if I can't see the kids that I can hear them and they are ok with that. I obviously try my best to be fast while upstairs and I always double check that the baby gate is securely locked before I go up.

As for how many kids and how much to charge - check local advertisements to see what others are charging and check online for numbers.

cfred
11-18-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm in a townhouse, so I just dedicated my main floor to the daycare. This way I have a powder room, access to outside, coats and all that stuff, as well as a kitchen all in the same space. I'm an ECE too and chose home care over licensed facilities too. I hope you enjoy the switch as much as I have. Sooooo much nicer working on your own and having your own vision. Also, the pay is significantly better....and the commute to the coffee pot is pretty fabulous :)

For insurance, I've gone with Wawanessa. I've heard from others that it's becoming more difficult to find companies willing to insure unlicensed providers. I had no problem getting coverage with them and I pay about $87/mo including my home insurance.

Where are you in York Region? I'm in Newmarket. The general rate has been $40 for years. I moved here a year ago and have raised my rates to $45 and haven't had a problem.

5 Little Monkeys
11-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I have the same policy as mickyc (I borrowed it from her lol) and all the parents are okay with this. My daycare is completely in the basement, including a kitchen and a bathroom. I can hear them when I am in the bathroom and many times I have to yell "I can hear you, give that toy back" while I am doing my business LOL

If you can, do as much prep work as you can on weekends or evenings. I like to cook most of the food ahead of time so that I am just warming it up for lunch. I do this more because we usually come in close to lunch and I don't always have time to cook before a couple of the kids get picked up. My kitchen is like 6 steps from my play room though so it's not an issue if I have to be in there cooking though. At the beginning of the week I cut and peel the fruit and slice the cheese and have it in containers ready for snacks. During the morning free play I will prep stuff for art in the playroom.

Good Luck!! :) I used to work in centres too and now can't imagine going back. Being your own boss, setting your own hours and pay, doing things they way you want and not having to work with clueless and lazy coworkers is amazing lol I am sure you will love it!