PDA

View Full Version : Crafts for all ages??

KingstonMom
08-29-2011, 06:48 AM
I have one 4 year old, one 3 year old and three 16 month olds.

I have a really hard time setting up a craft time for the older ones and also trying to 'include' the younger ones. The little ones 'eat' pom-poms, crayone, play-doh, paper, pipe-cleaners, anything i can think of to let them touch, feel etc.

I find myself skipping the craft activity as it is just too much watching the little ones play on their own and helping the older one complete a craft.
If I don't include the younger ones, they just reach onto the table, pulling off the table cloth, grabbing supplies they shouldn't touch etc.

Apart from feeding the little ones a snack during craft time, can anybody think of something they can somehow participate in without choking or poking their eyes out! lol thanks!!

playfelt
08-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Change the activity to make it simpler such as a picture to colour - only give the 16 month olds one crayon at a time and watch them reminding them not to put it in their mouth as they start to do that. Switch out the colour every few minutes if they seem to want to - at least offer. Then the little ones will usually lose interest after a bit of scribbling and be ready to leave the table to go play. At which point you can then let the older ones add the extra things.

If you are having to "help" the older ones to do the craft then maybe it is time to reconsider if they are actually ready for it either. While it looks nice to send home I bet they would be just as happy with the picture they coloured - cheaper too and safer when there is a mixed group.

The 3 and 4 year olds will not be doomed for life if they don't get to glue pipecleaners on paper for a few more months. That way the 16 month olds will be old enough to participate properly. In the meantime include lots of sensory type play you can control such as putting paint in a zip bag for no mess fingerpainting - tape the bag to the table for the little ones. The older ones should be able to do playdough while you supervise the little ones nearby.

waterloo day mom
08-29-2011, 11:34 AM
I do crafts for the older ones while the little ones are still sleeping. I also don`t do any crafts that require more prep and/or more clean up than the amound of time that they spend actually doing to craft.

mom-in-alberta
08-29-2011, 12:07 PM
We tend to do our "crafts" while the small ones are still sleeping. They don't miss out, since as you said, they don't seem to get much out of the activity anyway. They get to color, build with blocks, etc and that is where they show their creativity, and I provide some control over that, ie:one piece of paper, one crayon at a time, each.
I agree that if you are having to do a lot of hands on assistance, then maybe it's too much even for them? Crafts are great, but if it's making you crazy.... not worth it!

Skysue
08-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Thumbs up I do this too!

I do crafts for the older ones while the little ones are still sleeping. I also don`t do any crafts that require more prep and/or more clean up than the amound of time that they spend actually doing to craft.