PDA

View Full Version : Big kid area?

2cuteboys
11-27-2013, 04:56 PM
So I have a 4 year old, 3.5 year old, and 2 year old (though he's pretty advanced) who love love love to play with blocks and build things. The 12 month old loves to smash their things and take all the pieces away.

I'm thinking about purchasing one of those giant gates to separate a portion of my playroom (we have a "punch out area" as I call it, that could be separated into a different room by adding one wall) to make a big kid area. The older kids could go in when they asked but the little one wouldn't have access to those toys. I was thinking I could move all our puzzles into storage in there too so that the little ones didn't just carry them around and lose pieces. I also intend to get my son some Lego for Christmas (the duplo, not the tiny Lego pieces), so I thought if that could go in there too he'd get more use from it than if it was just an evenings and weekends thing.

Has anyone done this?
I think I've already talked myself out of this point, but would you feel bad excluding the younger ones?
Any gate/separator suggestions (I was thinking one with a mesh side would be better to keep the little pieces in)?

5 Little Monkeys
11-27-2013, 05:35 PM
I think that is a great idea! I'm sure the big kids will love it.

I wouldn't feel bad about excluding the younger ones. There are age appropriate toys for a reason and it's not fair for the older kids to always play with the younger children and toys. In daycare centres they are separated by age so it's really no different.

I don't have a separate area but I have separate toys for older children. They get brought out during nap time or when the little kids aren't here.

playfelt
11-27-2013, 07:23 PM
The other option is to set up the other area as a giant playpen area and put the little ones in there to do their own thing leaving the older kids with the freedom to play. If the little ones are just in the dumping stage they don't need a large space to do it in. It also means you wouldn't be opening and closing the other area for the big kids as they wanted in and out.

nschildcare
11-28-2013, 04:01 AM
I like it and have my playroom set up similarly. I have two rooms for daycare and between the two I have shelving with doorway-sized opening. The bigger kids have access to both areas, the younger ones are easily contained if need be, and it also helps to keep the toys organized.

Crayola kiddies
11-28-2013, 07:24 AM
I have a super yard and when I have one in that stage I use it to either put the wee one in with some toys or the older ones can go in to do a puzzle or build Lego without being disturbed.

Sassygirl
11-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Great idea!
Although, be prepared for the 12 month old to get upset about being discluded.
I have a 13 month old "dumper" in my care who is also like a bull in a china shop sometimes when the older older ones are playing nicely with the blocks or puzzles. I give him warning then he is confined in the playpen with toys and he gets really upset.

bright sparks
11-28-2013, 08:05 AM
I shadow the younger ones who trash the older kids masterpieces. Depending how young they are it works fairly quickly if just as they are about to go into destructive mode, I sternly remind them not to touch the big kids toys. My 9mth old dcb is obviously a different matter all together but the 14mth old no longer bothers my 2 1/2 yr old dcb.

I have a much smaller daycare space now so don't want everything separated. Also they have to learn. I may put them in the playpen if I REALLY have to have a break from a child who is particularly bad at doing this but I also don't want the kiddies to associate the playpen as a place to play, only for sleeping, otherwise it could backfire if they are regularly put in one to play.

Crayola kiddies
11-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Great idea!
Although, be prepared for the 12 month old to get upset about being discluded.
I have a 13 month old "dumper" in my care who is also like a bull in a china shop sometimes when the older older ones are playing nicely with the blocks or puzzles. I give him warning then he is confined in the playpen with toys and he gets really upset.

Oh absolutely ... They totally lose their noodle .... That's why sometimes its easier and more peaceful to put the older kid in it and they actually really like it.

2cuteboys
11-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Yes, I'm sure she won't like it, but that's also why I'm leaning towards separating the older kids and letting her still have the run of the rest of the room and her choice of toys.

I'd also like it to be more permanent, where we wouldn't have to completely remove the Legos and puzzles once the younger one was 'let out.'

mom-in-alberta
11-28-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't see an issue with this at all. The little guys will just need some redirection if they get mad that they can't play in there. Could be a great chance for the big kids to practice independent play, while you spend some more one-on-one time with the babies.

Secondtimearound
11-28-2013, 03:52 PM
I have used a super yard gate ( I think they are called this )!to section off my entry . It is 7 ft wide by about 10 ft long so I regularly let the older dck and my own play !!!! It works great !! I still have constant supervision and projects or puzzles do not get destroyed !! Sometimes the little dck stand watching at the gate and clapping for the tall towers and such being built !!!
My older dck do not get so frustrated at the little ones and the little ones have room to use the ride on toys !!!!
I think it will make your life a little easier !!!