PDA

View Full Version : Almost Friday time filler!!!!

Wonderwiper
11-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Thursdays always seem to drag a bit!!

So.... What is Santa bringing your for own kids???

Happy Thursday!

2cuteboys
11-28-2013, 10:56 AM
This Thursday is going to be exceptionally draggy... All my kids (especially my 4 year old, and he's the loudest) are acting up today. I've already canned our craft... It's not worth the extra whining today.

I always get the boys socks, underwear (for my older), pajamas, and books from Santa, and this year I think he's getting them each a couple of Melissa and Doug puzzles (I've been eyeing up the latches and skills boards for a while, but can't justify $20 per puzzle unless it's a special occasion). We're going to start them off with a bit of junior Lego (the Lego duplo blocks) from us.

We had planned on getting them bunk beds for Christmas and moving them into one room, but we decided against it.

I've kind of decided this year to skip getting them big or a lot of gifts. I really just don't want anymore toys since our toy room is crowded as it is. It'll make the few they get more special, and save us some cash.

Sassygirl
11-28-2013, 11:31 AM
This year is going to be an easy one!
We are taking all 4 kiddos on a family trip to the Bahamas! Baby #5 is due in March so we are combining Christmas and a Babymoon LOL... 4 days and 3 nights. We get back on the 23rd so Christmas morning will just be stockings and gifts from all the other relatives.

bright sparks
11-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Awesome Sassy...let me know how you find the resort and if it is a family friendly experience. I keep looking for somewhere in that region but am nervous about the suitability for the kids.

Anyway back on topic. I am so glad I don't work Fridays anymore and I am totally done with this week. Super high strung today due to moronic family members thousands of miles away causing me stress, so had to withdraw a little mentally today and just go with free play in order to be able to keep myself together. Also 2nd week of my newbie 9mth old dcb. Great kid but wants to be held constantly which I am not doing at all so there are episodes ongoing of crying. He is improving but by the end of my week I've had enough lol

Xmas...my son has minecraft stuff, Lego technics and each of my kids are getting a radio alarm clock with dock. My daughter is getting sewing and craft supplies, jewellery and a 3DS.

It's my sons birthday on the 24th and he has asked for a 3DS and books. I also got him a bunch of non fiction as with him being 2e he is obsessed with facts about the world.

nschildcare
11-28-2013, 12:00 PM
We had a huge storm here last night that kept all the dcks up. We had a rough morning but they are all sleeping well now.

My girls are getting Monster High Dolls. My oldest son is a paddler so he will be getting a skirt for his kayak. My other son is really into the outdoors and scouting so he'll be getting an outdoor kit.

That's pretty much it. We always say we're going to do a small exchange, and even small it seems too much. So instead of having lots of gifts under the tree we are spreading the love leading up to it. We bought the kids new fleece sheets for their beds a few weeks ago and told them it was from a gparent. They loved them and the sheets would totally have gone unnoticed on the big day. The other gparents are getting them new cozy pjs and a book and they will get those this weekend.

bright sparks
11-28-2013, 12:40 PM
We always say we're going to do a small exchange, and even small it seems too much. So instead of having lots of gifts under the tree we are spreading the love leading up to it. We bought the kids new fleece sheets for their beds a few weeks ago and told them it was from a gparent. They loved them and the sheets would totally have gone unnoticed on the big day. The other gparents are getting them new cozy pjs and a book and they will get those this weekend.

I love this. Our Xmas day is spent in pj's so we always buy Xmas fleecy pj's the week before. I actually thought about getting matching this year because we are a nerdy goofy bunch and I thought it would be a great gift to give the kids to use against us or even us against them in the future by way of "PHOTO MEMORIES" lmao

AmandaKDT
11-28-2013, 12:58 PM
I got an Elf on the Shelf that I will start with them on the second week of December, I am positive that my 4 year old will love it. Also got matching pajamas for my two girls, sleds, books, a couple small toys. We don't spend a lot at Christmas and we are trying to start bringing in the fact that it isn't all about getting presents and that you should be grateful for what you have. We want to take my older daughter to do some type of charity work this Christmas, like delivering Christmas hampers.

bright sparks
11-28-2013, 01:07 PM
The volunteering is great. My daughter is in Pathfinders and does lots of volunteering with them but has asked herself to volunteer which I am very proud of. I was told to do stuff as a kid so to have her volunteer off her own back is awesome. Last year she volunteered with the sorting of the Christmas Hampers with our local community care and both my kids volunteered helping out at Niagara Vegfest this year and I foresee this becoming a regular activity. As soon as she is a teen there will be lots more she can do. We have already discussed a mother/daughter annual volunteering tradition helping to serve Thanksgiving to the homeless. Really bring home how fortune she is to have everything she does and the importance of giving to those less fortunate than us. Once again though it's important that she truly understands and takes a strong role in the decisions she makes versus just doing as she is told.

2cuteboys
11-28-2013, 02:01 PM
We don't spend a lot at Christmas and we are trying to start bringing in the fact that it isn't all about getting presents and that you should be grateful for what you have. We want to take my older daughter to do some type of charity work this Christmas, like delivering Christmas hampers.

I love this idea. My kids are a bit young for it, but we started talking about giving. World vision (I think) does a program where you can purchase farm animals, medicine or school supplies to go to underdeveloped countries. We talked about giving gifts at Christmas (instead of just receiving) and how the animals we chose would help a family.

Secondtimearound
11-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Well for starters my husband dd and myself are in a Christmas Eve play lol !!! We have a huge family get together where dd will open from extended family !!! We bought her leapfrog leap pad ultra ! She will love it !!
She LOVES horses and we found a gorgeous huge stuffed one !!! She has adult siblings so she gets quite spoiled from them so we don't go overboard on her !!! I am sewing all the girls (4 of us ) matching pjs for Christmas Eve !! And we do gift exchange for the older kids !!!
We have all the family over for a gut splitting turkey dinner !!! Last year there was 25 around the table !! It's loud and crazy but I really enjoy it !!! ��

bright sparks
11-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Well for starters my husband dd and myself are in a Christmas Eve play lol !!! We have a huge family get together where dd will open from extended family !!! We bought her leapfrog leap pad ultra ! She will love it !!
She LOVES horses and we found a gorgeous huge stuffed one !!! She has adult siblings so she gets quite spoiled from them so we don't go overboard on her !!! I am sewing all the girls (4 of us ) matching pjs for Christmas Eve !! And we do gift exchange for the older kids !!!
We have all the family over for a gut splitting turkey dinner !!! Last year there was 25 around the table !! It's loud and crazy but I really enjoy it !!! ��

25 people around the table...that sounds awesome. I am from a very small family, one brother with no children and parents who are only children, whereas my husband has a much larger family being one of four and his mum having a brother and a sister with loads of kids. Add to that the fact that they all live in the UK so we don't have many of us round the table. I'd love it if my kids have huge families and we can have a big table to gather around :-D