PDA

View Full Version : Private Dayhome regulations in alberta

JHolkemama
08-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi Ladies, I am looking for a website or some basic information on privately run dayhomes in alberta (edmonton specifically). I have no problem finding licensed dayhome information, but I was wanting info on regulations for those of us not licensed. I just opened a couple of months ago and have been going by the standards of licensed dayhomes, but I was just wondering if things like ages, number of children in care, etc. Thanks :)

mom-in-alberta
08-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Funny you should ask... I just spoke with someone last week at the Alberta government in regards to the same things. I was getting very frustrated because I was trying to find some specific information and was getting very conflicting info. And I've been running my dayhome for over a year now!!
Basically; this is what I was told: there are no regulations when it comes to a PRIVATE dayhome in Alberta.
Crazy, no? That is why there is so much mis-information out there. The regulations changed in late 2009, to define the different types of childcare. People are still thinking of the old guidelines, or mingling the old and new. A licensed facility with 7 or more children in care is under one set of rules, a privately licensed facility with 6 or fewer children (that works with an agency) is under a separate set. A completely privately run dayhome is really under no umbrella of regulation whatsoever. I was a little surprised.
I believe that this is the governments way of "encouraging" parents to choose licensed childcare over non. IE: "Well, if you pick a private provider, you are on your own!!"
When I spoke with the woman at the government, I didn't give her an indication of whether I was a provider or a parent. She warned me that if I was looking for care for my kids, the onus was on me to make a judgment about the number of children being cared for and the ages, whether I felt the provider could give the proper care to them or react appropriately in an emergency (getting the kids out of the house, etc).
This was good news for me, because with 4 kids 10 and under of my own, I was quite worried about who counted for what in my ratios, etc. Apparently, I don't need to worry. That being said, I will continue to use the regulations for a licensed private dayhome as a guideline for myself, in addition to common sense. I won't take on 4 non-walking kids, because that would be madness should we ever need to evacuate the home. But I am not really going to include my 10 and 8 year old sons when I consider how many kids I take on, since they don't really require my "care" anymore, lol.
Anyway, I hope that helps. I don't have the name and number of the woman I spoke with handy, but I can see if I can track it down for you if you would like to talk to her as well.

mom-in-alberta
08-30-2011, 03:51 PM
If you are interested in accessing information about Child Care Programs in Alberta, you can go to:

www.child.alberta.ca (http://www.child.alberta.ca/)

FS2011
08-30-2011, 10:41 PM
I have been researching this a bit because my parents live in Edmonton (me in BC, and am licensed) and we considered moving to Edmonton. I liked that as a licensed centre I could have 7 not including my own, right? It's very confusing in Alberta tho! I must say! Plus I found the rules very slack compared to us in bc. Not licensed can be shut down if they run with more then 2 kids(plus own) how can you feed a family on that kind of income!?

mom-in-alberta
08-31-2011, 02:27 PM
I found it very difficult to get clear and concise information. I was looking online, and for every 5 websites I found, I found 5 different answers. I tried to search the government of Alberta website, to no avail. The information I did find was vague (I was trying to determine whether my kids count in the ratios and what the ages should be). I called our local family services, who run a licensed provider agency. All they wanted to talk about was getting me to be a part of their program. They wouldn't answer any questions about what the rules are as they apply to my situation as is.
I need to run privately, since (as I mentioned) if I was working with an agency, most if not all of my kids would "count" and I would not be able to take in the extra child necessary for this to provide the income I require.

MunchkinMinder
10-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Ok, so let me get this straight....I run a small private day home in Calgary...there are NO regulations on age/numbers/anything that I am to follow??? That just doesn't sound right!!!

mlc1982
10-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I am private in Calgary as well. I was told (through email) that I can have 6 kids in my care, not including my own and there are no real age restrictions. They recommend you follow the licensed agency age restrictions (2 under 2, 3 under 3) but it isn't necessary.

I currenly have 2 of my own kids (2 1/2 and 14 mths) so I could techincally take care of 8 kids total every day. This seems a big extreme to be being that mine are still so young. I believe it's also about common sense and how much you can handle. As of November I will have my own two, a 4 yr old, 22 mth old, 19 mth old and two 15 mth olds. This would not be allowed through an agency but being that I'm a 'private babysitter' I can do it. As long as parents are on board and the children are being taken care of properly, apparently there are no real boundries.

mom-in-alberta
10-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Ok, so let me get this straight....I run a small private day home in Calgary...there are NO regulations on age/numbers/anything that I am to follow??? That just doesn't sound right!!!

Kinda scary, huh? :ohmy:
As I said, I was told that it is up to THE PARENT to determine whether a private childcare arrangement is suitable/safe, etc for their child. We are bound by basic law, however to provide kids in our care proper food, hygenic living situations, etc. Child protective services could be called if basic care is not being provided. But it's more the people that would get involved if your neighbor was abusive and you reported them, as opposed to Alberta's childcare regulators.
On the one hand, it's nice, because I may not be able to take in enough kids with an agency to make it worth my while. However, as a parent AND a caregiver, it causes me to hope that there aren't any untrustworthy individuals taking advantage of the regulations (or lack of!).

mom-in-alberta
10-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Forgot to mention; they do RECOMMEND that the provider follow the regulations regarding numbers and ratios that a licensed dayhome would be required to.

MunchkinMinder
10-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Wow...just WOW...I've always gone with the 2 under2 or 3 under 3 ratio but on occasion thought I was over numbers due to my older child (she's going to be 11 in a few months)...well I guess with good judgement on what I know I can handle as a caregiver everything should be fine. I have a clean and safe house with plenty of food, toys, etc. in it so nothing to worry about

Cocoon
10-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum and to this city in fact, to this country:)

I'm actually surprised to see how many kids you can look after in this province. I would be worried if a dayhome take cares of 7 children under the age of 2! God forbid, what happens if you need to evacuate the house? How will you carry 7 kids?

I think for one adult looking after 7 kids at the same time is too much and I personally, would not choose a day home with 7 kids.

I don't intent to upset anyone here but I think it is common sense. And I would be insane to take on 7 kids under the age of 2 or even 3.

I will be opening my day home care in couple of weeks and I was thinking on getting only two kids, maximum three at any giving time. Because, I don't think I can provide quality care for those kids and it's not fair on them and I need to enjoy what I'm doing so that, I can keep on providing my service.

I don't know but this is what I think and what I would do.

Regards,
Cocoon

FS2011
10-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Actually Cocoon, There is age restrictions you need to follow such as 3 under 3, 2 under 2 etc. Having 7 children under 3 would be insane, definitely not quality child care. I don't believe anyone here is saying otherwise.

FS2011
10-20-2011, 03:22 PM
I run a licensed daycare in BC and 7 children is very manageable because of the age limits. 4 under 4 yo and 3 between 4 and 12 years old. Once they hit 3 most do many tasks themselves and as long as you are organized and efficient there is no reason that the quality of care needs to be compromised.

Cocoon
10-20-2011, 03:46 PM
FS2011, agree with you. And I also wonder about the quality of care? Yes, some kids may do many tasks for themselves but how can you find the time to give them the attention they need? Don't parents pay us to give their child loving attention too rather then only feeding them and make sure they are safe? How can you give the attention with 7 kids under your care? And what happens if you need to attend 2 or more kids needs? I think with 7 kids with no help, I would go insane.
Oh god I'm not even thinking what happens when they snatch toys from each other or bite or smack :) You must be a super woman to manage all. I salute you :)

PS: What is quality care means to you all day home care providers, if you dont mind me asking?

Regards,
Cocoon

playfelt
10-20-2011, 04:19 PM
It actually works out that the more kids there are the less they need us. The children play with each other, make up their own games, etc. My role is to supervise, provide ideas to expand their play or interests etc. It isn't necessary for me to follow each child and personally be their by their side all day. That isn't a healthy environment either. While 7 under 2 is questionable, 7 under 3-4 is totally manageable and would be the same ratios if you went to a preschool.

FS2011
10-20-2011, 04:38 PM
These kids are with us typically 8 hours a day, with 7 kids here 3 usually go to school during the day...even if they don't there is still plenty of time to show each child one on one attention. It's all about how you interact and spend your day. If they are free playing all day with you watching then no I don't see that as the best at meeting their emotional needs. If you can create activities, get involved, have helpers, create team work, reading and circle time etc etc and you are an active part of these processes then you are right there proving attention to each person as needed. Even in a group of 3 you will see biting, smacking etc. You use that experience as a learning opportunity, a cuddle for the "victim" and then carry on. I don't believe that just anyone can open their home to 7 children and provide quality care. It takes a special type of person. I myself have gone through school, dreamed about being a child care provider for many years, continue to take courses to stay current and gain knowledge of children's behavior. We choose this industry because we love children and have a passion for it. As far as what is quality child care...to me it's a safe, clean, happy, empowering environment with a care provider that's warm and loving. No one starts out with 7 children, it's a process to learn and build into. With a few more years under your belt, you should feel more then capable of caring for 7 children with a quality standard!

FS2011
10-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Perhaps you could connect and visit a dayhome in Alberta that operates with multiple children. This way you could see for yourself how "it's done"!

Cocoon
10-20-2011, 05:03 PM
FS2011, I do know and have the ability to manage/deal with 7 kids. I'm a qualified and experience child care provider. And I do update my skills thru attending courses. I just don't want to have the stress of having to look after 7 kids in my house. And it's not about I can't it's about I wouldn't.

Anyway, I gues your understanding of a quality child care is different then mine. Aggree to disagree.

"Perhaps you could connect and visit a dayhome in Alberta that operates with multiple children. This way you could see for yourself how "it's done"! " Maybe I should visit your dayhome as it seems you are doing perfectly well. Considering 7 kids under your belt and you giving them quality childcare while you are posting comments on here. As I've said before, you are a super woman! :)

FS2011
10-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Wow, you have no idea what's happening with me today. That's a pretty bold comment. This isn't how we treat eachother on this forum Cocoon.
For one I said I'm in BC so visiting my centre isn't an option, I'm also an hour behind you which means it would be quiet time here where my children nap. However I'm closed today, not that it's your concern when I post and when I don't. I'm done with this, you have already wasted to much of my time. Don't post looking for answers and assistance if your going to waste our time.

Cocoon
10-20-2011, 05:27 PM
FS2011, I couldn't help but defend myself when I see you posting this comment ""Perhaps you could connect and visit a dayhome in Alberta that operates with multiple children. This way you could see for yourself how "it's done"! "

I guess it wouldn't hurt you if you were a bit polite and welcoming. Nevermind, I'm just hoping other people on this forum are polite and welcoming.

Thank you for your precious time tho. You could have take another child instead of wasting your time here with me. Have a nice afternoon :)

Crayola kiddies
10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Meeoooowww :(

BestforKids
11-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I have been researching this a bit because my parents live in Edmonton (me in BC, and am licensed) and we considered moving to Edmonton. I liked that as a licensed centre I could have 7 not including my own, right? It's very confusing in Alberta tho! I must say! Plus I found the rules very slack compared to us in bc. Not licensed can be shut down if they run with more then 2 kids(plus own) how can you feed a family on that kind of income!?
----
Hello, Great thread here. I am with Best For Kids (Bestforkids.ca), we are a dayhome advocacy group in Alberta and are very up to speed on these regulations for both private and accredited. To say there are no regulations for private day homes is a bit misleading. For example, private dayhomes do have the ability for a caregiver not to count their children into the ratio, however, they also must count all children under the age of 16 (who are not theirs) into their 'children in care' ratio of 6 maximum unlike accredited programs who are allowed to include as many children as they live over the age of 12.

Therefore, a private dayhome is permitted have up to 6 children in care + the caregiver's own children, which do not count into the ratio. So, to clarify, the province does have regulations on private day homes, which are as follows:

1. No more than 6 children in care (no age restrictions, applies to both accredited and private dayhome programs. The only way you can have more than 6 children in care is if you are licensed with a 'Group Family Childcare' license or a 'Daycare' license. No regular dayhome, private or accredited, can have more than 6 children in care at any one time).

2. In a private dayhome program, the caregiver's own children DO NOT count into the 6 child ratio (unlike registered programs, where the caregiver's children do count into the ratio)

3. Private dayhomes DO NOT have age related ratios unlike registered dayhome programs. This is something that confuses many people because the Alberta Family services website only lists the regulations for accredited programs, and really does not make reference to regulations related to private programs. However, as mom-in-Alberta noted, if you call in the one of the Calgary offices, they will clear it up for you.

4. In a private dayhome, all 'children in care' under the age of 16 count into the ratio, as opposed to an accredited program where children 12 and over do not count into the 6 'childcare in care' ratio, hence why many accredited programs earn additional revenue by running an after school program without ratio concerns. This is one of the give and takes of a private program. Whilst the caregivers children do not count in to the program ratios, a private program cannot have any more than 6 children in care regardless of age). The kicker on this is that the city bylaw does not allow more than 6 'children in care' (not including the caregiver's children because the city's concern is over residential traffic vs childcare concerns). So, if an accredited program does accept after school care kids that cause them to exceed the 6 'children in care' ratio, they are technically in contravention of the city's bylaws. However, this does not seem to stop them as this is quite a common operational policy for providers, and does help alleviate the after school bottleneck in the city.

Conclusion: Private programs are a very good way for a mother with children to stay home and run a dayhome program while they care for their own children. This was a really good move by the province and does allow these programs to be both safe and lucrative for the program provider. Parents should always do their due diligence (we have noted MANY accredited and private programs in the city that are run, in our opinion, sub standard - so using accreditation as your measure might not be the best. Parents should judge a program based on a combination of their personal visit, program references, etc... rather than a reliance on a provincial designation).

There are also a few other considerations with regard to age related ratios. The other side of the coin is that if a program is trying to care for a multi-age group of children, then there may be safety concerns related to the developmentally appropriateness of toys (for example, a 4 year old can play with small toys that might be a choking hazard for an infant). Also, even if a program has 6 children under the age of 2, a good provider will ensure that 2 children are likely napping at any one time during the day meaning that, aside from mealtime, drop off and pick up, they would really only be actively caring for 4 children. I have seen this in action and it works well. Also, a having children of the same developmental level means they can engage in age appropriate group activities together. This is much more challenging in a care environment with age diversity ranging from infant to 4 years old. So there is a bit of another perspective on all this for you all to consider.

mom-in-alberta
11-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Thank you VERY much, BestForKids. I have been looking all over to find this spelled out. I hope there is a way to get this info out so that a private provider can do the best job possible, in all ways.
I am still confused as to why the government office told me that there was essentially no regulations? That did not sit right with me. What you have said makes more sense, for sure.

dodge__driver11
11-29-2011, 05:33 PM
@FS2011 don't ya hate it when someone says something rude and then posts a smiley after it that makes it all beeeettter LOL --geez

Jb174
08-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Hi everyone! So sorry to bring up an old post, but I wanted to ask how privately run unlicensed day homes are protected? I.e. if something bad happens (God forbid), a parent can't sue you or accuse you of negligence (assuming you weren't negligent?).

This hasn't happened to me, I'm just thinking of opening a small time before and after school care kind of thing while I am home with my kids and wondering how I am protected legally.

Any info would be great!

playfelt
08-23-2012, 09:09 AM
You need to carry liabilty insurance that covers this scenerio. You can often arrange something with the same firm that handles your house/auto/daycare rider.

Inspired by Reggio
08-23-2012, 01:00 PM
You need to carry liabilty insurance that covers this scenerio. You can often arrange something with the same firm that handles your house/auto/daycare rider.

Agreed ~ here in Ontario it is called a 'home childcare ryder' and it typically covers up to 5 children as per our regulations and adds an additional 1 million/child on top of your 'regular home owners insurance policy' plus will cover things like 'theft and fire' on your business materials and mine also has a 'relocation amount' that they would pay up to X amount to allow me to run my business in a rental property if my home because uninhabitable for some reason ~ although to be honest if something happened to make my home uninhabitable I am thinking 'relocating my work' would be the last thing on my mind and dealing with whatever issue had arisen would take precedent for me but who knows better safe than sorry I guess with insurance ;)

Jb174
08-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh thanks so much! I honestly would have never thought of that! I will call my insurance agency in the morning!

Single-Mama
12-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Mom-in-Alberta, and FS2011, reading your posts and comments have helped me soo much, thank you for posting on and being apart or this forum, i am sure you have helped a lot of other mom and day home providers :) :)

Cocoon, some of the things you have posted make me question your ability to provide care as a day home, i would not send my kids to your day home. Sorry for the harsh statements.

Mama Pajama
04-07-2014, 03:50 AM
Hmmm. As a former day care worker (I've been away from the field for a while, raising my own kids), I think that Cocoon is the only person I'd consider sending my child to! 3 children per adult (when the adult is on his/her own) was the rule back in my day. I wouldn't even consider taking any more...not without a co-worker. You can't possibly provide quality care with a ratio of 7-to-1. What has happened to Alberta's regulations? Yikes!

playfelt
04-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Hmmm. As a former day care worker (I've been away from the field for a while, raising my own kids), I think that Cocoon is the only person I'd consider sending my child to! 3 children per adult (when the adult is on his/her own) was the rule back in my day. I wouldn't even consider taking any more...not without a co-worker. You can't possibly provide quality care with a ratio of 7-to-1. What has happened to Alberta's regulations? Yikes!

I had four kids of my own - guess that means I couldn't be a good mom if what you are saying is true. Just because you couldn't do it there are many woman that thrive caring for many children.

concernedmama
02-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Hi Ladies, I am looking for a website or some basic information on privately run dayhomes in alberta (edmonton specifically). I have no problem finding licensed dayhome information, but I was wanting info on regulations for those of us not licensed. I just opened a couple of months ago and have been going by the standards of licensed dayhomes, but I was just wondering if things like ages, number of children in care, etc. Thanks :)

http://humanservices.albert a.ca/family-community/child-care-providers-licensing.html

there is the link.
I was wondering about it too, being an approved day home operator I wanted to double check what the private child care workers are obligated to

mum06
08-02-2015, 09:14 AM
All great information, I am starting my own private childcare in my home and its very confusing on child ratio, as I now understand ( I think and hope) that running private I can have 6 kids ( not including my 1 child), I am going to run by the licenced regulation and guidelines act, its nice to know I am not limited to how many kids I can but how many I can handle with most of the kids being in school. Been searching for months on what I am allowed to have so much mis information out there.

mum06
08-02-2015, 09:26 AM
hi again,
I would really love to name my day home, do I need to get licenced to do that? in the end if I get to busy setting up a business ( and paying myself from business) is going to be option but since I am starting out just wondering if anyone knew about this by chance??
thanks

Dcoole
01-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Ok so here's a scenario. Private day home in Alberta had two care takers full time in home. Does that mean the 1:6 ratio applies to bothe providers? Say there are 10 kids and two providers and 2 kids are only part time. Being that it's private is that ratio ok?

MommaL
01-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Ok so here's a scenario. Private day home in Alberta had two care takers full time in home. Does that mean the 1:6 ratio applies to bothe providers? Say there are 10 kids and two providers and 2 kids are only part time. Being that it's private is that ratio ok?

What you are describing sounds like a group family daycare (where there are more than 6 children and more than one provider), which would require a license. Otherwise (from my understanding), it doesn't matter how many caregivers you have, you still can only have 6 kids in a private day home. I believe this is same no matter what province you reside in (i.e. you can't have more kids in a private daycare just because there is more than one caregiver).

etl75
04-27-2016, 12:25 PM
hi Im a newbie here, thinking of opening a private dayhome, can I issue receipts and do I need to register those receipts, thanks in advance!

babydom
04-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Yes. You are suppose to provide your clients with receipts. Otherwise ur getting paid under the table and that's against the law. U give out receipts yearly, at the end of every yr. u claim the amount on ur taxes and the client claims it also. I just pick up a receipt booklet at the local dollar store. It gives them a copy and me a copy to keep. U don't need to register the receipts just claim the amount on ur taxes

Tinkerbell2016
05-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Hi ladies!
I have master's degree in education and my friend has bachelor's plus montessori course. she's got over 20 years of experience in child care and I have 8 years. Would you recommend licensed or not? I have a 14 months old son and am seriously thinking of opening a day home. And, honestly, how many children do you have to have to make it worth your while? Because, we all do it to be able to stay home with our own child(ren) and also make a living. Plus, I just love kids and I would have a program, it wouldn't be just like babysitting. I want them involved in all kinds of activities. Thank you!