PDA

View Full Version : Caring for kids when I am in a cast

mamaof4
09-01-2011, 09:50 AM
This is part vent part question.

I have my left arm in a full cast from my hand to just below my shoulder. It is really cramping my style.

Changing diapers 1 handed? huge challenge. Wresting a kid into a car seat? Impossible.

6 weeks more.

Any advice?

mlc1982
09-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Yikes, that doesn't sound like fun at all. Sorry to hear you're in a cast. Did you hurt yourself or have a planned surgery? Have parents seemed concerned about this?
That's a tough one as I'm sure you can't just take the next 6 weeks off. Are you able hire someone to help you out, even part time while you have the cast on?

mom-in-alberta
09-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Oh, noooo!! I wish I could be more help, other than to say; I am sure it will get better as you adjust? :(
I would also wonder about maybe hiring someone to come in, even a couple hours a day? That way you can get them to do some of the more "hands on" stuff, so to speak? Or just to allow you to catch up on some of the stuff that may be falling behind while you are a little impaired.
If it's not really in the budget, perhaps you can find someone to barter services with. IE; you help me out now, and in 6 weeks I can give some free childcare or house cleaning, etc.
TAKE IT EASY!!!