PDA

View Full Version : "Mexican family" scam

jennyrae57
12-29-2013, 08:09 PM
A few weeks ago I heard from an inquiring parent needing care immediately for his two sons. He confirmed that my day home was the one he would like for his sons to attend as soon as they returned to Calgary from Mexico. He sent a money order for far more than my deposit. He's now requesting that I deposit it and putting all kinds of pressure on me to issue him a new money order and send it to his address in Mexico; not allowing the time for it to clear in my account and even going so far as suggesting I deposit it in an ATM and withdraw the remainder to issue a new one. Alarm bells went off and I requested the teller at my bank to hold it for as long as it takes to fully clear and letting her know how sketchy I think it is. Has anyone else had this problem?

Lou
12-29-2013, 08:14 PM
100% scam, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this :( Do not under any circumstances send him any money.

Mama of 1
12-30-2013, 07:33 AM
So sorry your dealing with this. A LOT of us have gotten the same email. all across canada

http://www.daycarebear.ca/forum/showthread.php/5931-VERY-fishy-inquiry-into-my-daycare...-Thoughts

Do NOT send him money back or they will clear out your bank account

mickyc
12-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Do not ever book a child in your daycare without meeting with the family no matter what. If you follow that rule you will not put yourself in the position to be scammed.

This money order is no good and hopefully your bank doesn't have any charges to you for it bouncing. Do not send any money!

Fearlessbaby
12-30-2013, 08:40 AM
I recently had a similar situation- a Canadian family returning home from living in Mexico wanted to enroll their 2 sons,,, but I thought something was fishy when they wanted to wire money to me - I emailed them saying I'd need to meet them 1st- no reply--- thanks for posting about this, it is so important to avoid these scammers!

jennyrae57
12-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Thank you sooo much, lovely caregivers!!! I wasn't going to send him anything back but you've just confirmed all my suspicions. I really hope no one falls for this!

admin
01-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Indeed, never ever send or accept money from anyone on the Internet, without meeting with them and preferably signing a contract ! Unfortunately, scammers do look through online classified ads (on our site, and on many others), trying to lure unsuspecting people into their scheme.

Note that we are currently trying to identify the IPs that were used to access our website, so we can try to prevent these scammers from contacting our users again. ;)

apples and bananas
01-02-2014, 04:11 PM
My family owns another business in retail and we've had this there as well. They want to buy large quantities promising to have the shipping taken care of, they want to send a money order for the amount ect. It's the same scam across the board.

How much did was the discrepancy between what they paid and what they owed? I've always wondered how much money someone is looking for when they do this.

playfelt
01-02-2014, 07:16 PM
What they usually come back is with is something along the lines of there was a mistake and their relocation company accidentally sent their childcare deposit and ______ something important and could you please wire the excess amount back to them immediately and they will pay for the wire.

Being military and relocated frequently it never made sense but I can see how someone might do it in the sense that we care about kids and if the money was for the child's physical to leave the country or copies of child's documents or whatever we think of a child suffering if we don't do it. Even if they pay for the wire they will still get enough money from the scam. The urgency blamed on the child's needs is so it gets done before the bank catches on.

mamaof4
01-02-2014, 11:24 PM
This is so scary that this is happening. We all need to be very careful and cautious!

suzydominguez
01-05-2014, 07:19 PM
When I found out about this scam, I was terrified, but he had already mailed me the cheque for 2,880.00. After getting it in the mail I went to the same bank of his money order and had them check it for me. Sure enough the teller told me she that this was not their money orders and nothing was coming up. My advice is just have the bank check any and every money order, draft or cheque before depositing it into your account and never send out any money. I learned a big lesson with this guy !

godsgirl
01-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Scam! I used to work at a bank for several years and people do this all the time. They target older people and claim they are their grandchildren and need money, they purchase things through kijiji like cars and such and then 'change their minds' or 'accidentally' put too much money. Don't EVER forward them back the money. The bank can hold the draft/money order and all they have to do is contact the branch/institute the moneys were drawn from and most of the time they can determine that it is fraud. I had one client who was selling a car (they were only like 18 years old) and the people sent the money order through a courier so they came in with the draft to cash it and they were all ready to hand over the vehicle but we caught it before it went that far. Another client was selling his vehicle and took the draft and released the vehicle to the people. He cashed the draft and spent it (he didn't have a hold on his account) and then a few days late it came back fraud and the client was liable because he spent it and in turn had to pay back the bank and lost his car too boot. Craziness! Be Careful out there as these people are getting smart and like to pull at your heart string with sob stories about their starving children or dying parents and none of it's true.

NewCare4U
01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
I had the same email a few weeks ago as well. It was a Canada mother living in Mexico self employed there and wanted immediate care for her 2 sons when they arrived. I knew something was fishy about this situation so I wanted to make sure for myself. I asked them to call me (didnt give my # or home address) and her answer was that she couldnt because of long distance charges LOL. I then told her I needed to meet with her before hand and she sd that she couldnt because she was in Mexico, after all that I told her that all spaces were full and never heard back again!

Keep an eye out everyone never ever give any personal information out and if you ever have someone saying Ill send you a Money Order or Money Transfer or even cheque do not fall for it, as they would want you cash the money order or cheque then send them funds back. This is all fraudulent

MsFun
01-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Yes I heard from them too, scam scam scam

Didi
01-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Hello everyone. I am a new addition to this group. I was contacted during the holidays by a canadian family that wants to come back to Toronto from Mexico. They have two childrens and they also send me a photo of their family. I received the money order yesterday from a different person from Richmond VA. I did not deposit the money yet and he just emailed me today asking to cash the money order immediately. He also asked me to return some of the funds for his move.

I want to thank you all for giving me a heads up. That would have cost me a lot.
Didi

Didi
01-06-2014, 03:08 PM
They are contacting me for the past 2 weeks. I just received an email today from them. The cheque came in last friday.

Didi

mickyc
01-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Never ever book a family into your daycare without meeting them first. This will keep you from being scammed

LoveKids
02-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Thank you all for posting about this scam. I received that email last week, and immediately knew something was wrong so I checked daycarebear in case it hapened before and I find this... So grateful you shared. They said they are Canadian abroad who want to come back, wire transfers, change of plans, too many questions, avoiding my registration questionnaire, a fake family picture... Oh they are so mean!!

DCMG
02-18-2014, 10:37 AM
I was also contacted and informed them that I would definitely send the money back once the funds had cleared my bank. Was told not to worry as they had found alternate care. :thumbsup:

bright sparks
02-18-2014, 10:45 AM
I received a similar email and just deleted it. It's not something I even gave a second thought to. An obvious scam and not worth my energy. There is always some form of scam/spam email going around and they are always just a slight variation of each other so they really are super obvious to spot.

Kelsey
02-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Hi I am a new day home provider just starting out so you can imagine that I was so excited to get my first child. Little did I know I would be in for a big let down. The scam is now under the name of Lax Moory and his associate is Mariya Anderson. He is claiming to have 2 boys and even sent me a very adorable picture. When I received the cheque it was for 1980.00$ so naturally I was confused because that was not how much the deposit was. When I asked him about it he said " oh there was a mistake and to just deposit what I needed and send him the remainder so I was worried. So I talked to my sister in law and we checked out scams and found out about it, so I'm going to be contacting the police and the news and go from there. Just be careful of people out there who want to take advantage of the people who do one of the hardest and most precious job.

tinyturtles
02-27-2014, 09:07 AM
I had my turn with this dummy! I have been in contact with him for about 3 weeks.

his "payment cheque" came yesterday and does it ever look real! It says its from CIBC and its in double the amount of what my rate is
If anyone need a copy of this cheque PLEASE contact me

I am in Ottawa Ont

It is now hanging on my wall to remind myself to ALWAYS be cautious

tinytotshomedaycare
02-27-2014, 02:33 PM
I had the same thing. Canadian family working in mexico looking to come back and need daycare for their 3 year old boy. We went through all the questions and they even sent me a picture. But when they sent the deposit it was $1980.00 my deposit is only $100. So I sent them an email saying I no longer had a spot for them and that I would be destroying the check. I haven't heard from them since.

tinytotshomedaycare
02-27-2014, 02:34 PM
exactly the same as me. I'm in Ottawa as well.

Renee
02-28-2014, 05:52 PM
I too received a money order from the same person I am sure, and sent him a message that the Bank of Montreal has posted on there web site. I too received a pic of the "family" and I am sure it is not his family.

ebhappydc
05-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Today, I got an inquiry from a man who says he and his wife have lived and worked in Mexico for the past 5 years but they are Canadian citizens and are returning to Canada in a few weeks to set up new business, along with their 3 yr old son. They wish to enrol their child in my daycare a.s.a.p. so they don't have to look for care when they get back to Canada. I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the child possibly not being of Canadian citizenship as they have been there for 5 years and son is 3 yrs. old. Also, it sounds like they may wish to register him before I meet him...does anyone register a child before they meet them? Finally, would I need to worry about different immunizations? I've never had this request before. Thanks.

CrazyEight
05-08-2014, 10:13 PM
This sounds like a scam that people have posted about before. I got a similar one with the same story, the couple was returning from another country and wanted to find care for their 2 sons. It was sent out to about a dozen providers on here at the same time it seems, because I went to post basically the same questions as you and realized that others had had the same enquiry. Maybe check the "scam" thread for their name? One thing I noticed about the email I got was that although the man told me his name and the children's names, he never actually said where I lived, he just said they are moving to "my area" and want to find daycare asap "in my area" I guess so they could send the same email to a bunch of different providers.

I'd be wary of going any further...

5 Little Monkeys
05-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Scam. Never register anyone or cash anything before meeting the family in person.

mickyc
05-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Agree - always meet a family before you commit to anything!

sunnydays
05-09-2014, 11:31 AM
This is a scam. Don't communicate with them anny further. They will want to pay a deposit and they will send you too much and then you will deposit the cheque and send them the difference. By the time you realize their cheque has bounced, they have disappeared with the money you sent. Many versions of this same email have been going around. Never accept a registration without meeting with the family, at least over Skype if not in person.

ebhappydc
05-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Great to get all the advice - thanks! I'm new to this forum and often felt alone with my daycare...this is great! eb

Artsand crafts
05-09-2014, 01:28 PM
I just got the exact same email. It's a scam

hayland
05-09-2014, 02:45 PM
I got the same email, been emailing him back and forth for a few days. Should have looked here first before I wasted my time lol. He hasn't said anything about sending a cheque tho he did ask if he needed to pay a deposit and I told him no. I guess I will see if he emails back again. Thankfully the first email made me suspicious so he has no info from me except my email address.

FYI the name he used is Jim Niber and his wife Rebecca and kids Brochu and Wayne. Even went as far as sending a family pic. email jimniber@icloud.com. Doubt they ever use the same names tho.

Scary!

kristar
05-09-2014, 04:41 PM
I had the same guy this week as well - Jim niber....I am in Surrey - thanked him for his interest, I realize your a scam and please stop emailing me - have not heard from him since....

Jazzy
05-13-2014, 02:10 PM
I've just been dealing with him as well. He goes by Pinet Niber with me. Same names for his wife and kids. Ugh. Thankfully I found this thread before he sent me the money order. Ugh.

daycaremom9
05-13-2014, 03:22 PM
I got the same email, been emailing him back and forth for a few days. Should have looked here first before I wasted my time lol. He hasn't said anything about sending a cheque tho he did ask if he needed to pay a deposit and I told him no. I guess I will see if he emails back again. Thankfully the first email made me suspicious so he has no info from me except my email address.

FYI the name he used is Jim Niber and his wife Rebecca and kids Brochu and Wayne. Even went as far as sending a family pic. email jimniber@icloud.com. Doubt they ever use the same names tho.

Scary!
Wow, you'd think he'd at least change the names. Sounds identical to the email I got. I didn't reply as I didn't want him to have my email addy. I don't entirely trust the internet to keep my info private.

kassiemom
05-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Yes i got an email and before it went any further i referred a friend as i didn't have space. She almost got scammed by them but western union caught it. that was in brampton. i would call fraud dept right away

horizonchildcareltd
05-27-2014, 05:27 PM
We had the same situation at our center. A Jim Niber wanted to register his 3 year old son at our center for when he returned with his family after working in Mexico for 5 years. He sent us a picture of his "family" and asked questions about our center. He sent us a CIBC money order for $2790.00 and said that his "associate" overpaid us. He wanted us to send money orders back to Mexico for his "properties shipment". I contacted the bank and they said the money order is a fraud and to take it to the police.

Momof4
05-27-2014, 06:50 PM
I've been in business 6 years and these scams have been going on ever since I started, so obviously longer than 6 years. Why hasn't somebody caught one of them by now? Ugh! I always just delete them, but I notice that I only get them when I advertise on daycarebear. I'm not going to stop advertising here because I find great clients on this site too, but it seems to be a popular site for spammers and scammers.

Garden Lover
05-28-2014, 10:24 PM
***** Beware ******

Looks like these scammer are at it again, so I want to share these emails.

____________________ ____________________ ____________________ _____
Greetings,

My name is Mr Niber and my wife name is Rebeca. We just searched for your contact on internet, when searching for a daycare in your area for our son. We are relocating to your area and we need a daycare to register our little boy as soon as possible ahead of our arrival in your area. His name is Brochu and he's almost 3 years old

I will like to know if you have open space to register our son because we want to register our son with you now before our arrival, so we can focus on setting up our business without any waste of time on searching for daycare once we get over there.

We will like to always drop our child at your daycare Monday to Friday every morning by 10 AM to 3 PM or 4 PM. Also i will like to know how much money do you charge per day?

Please get back to me on time if you have open Space for our son and let me know your daily fees as well, so we can continue on their registration process with you.

I will be waiting for your quick response.

Thanks

____________________ ____________________ ____________________ _______

Hello,

We are Canadians living and working in Mexico for the past 5 years, it is time to move back to Canada in less than 2 weeks , I would have loved to call you to talk better on the phone but our work schedule will not permit me and I'll need to buy a calling card to do so, that's why I chose emailing for registration process before we arrived.

Your fee is very affordable for us and it's perfect with our budget as planned, but before we go forward, the safety of our child is very important to us.

If you do not mind, we'd like to know about you? What should be our expectations on our child while attending your daycare? What about food , you will be the one that provides him food or He should always go with His food? You can also provide additional information as well .

Your prompt reply will be appreciated. I'll get back to you with all the necessary information you need to know about our child to continue the registration process and I'll send you our latest family photo.

Thanks
____________________ ____________________ ____________________ _______

I like to thank all who share their post regarding these scams in the past.

Queeta
06-03-2014, 06:54 PM
We had the same situation at our center. A Jim
Niber wanted to register his 3 year old son at our center for when he returned with his family after working in Mexico for 5 years. He sent us a picture of his "family" and asked questions about our center. He sent us a CIBC money order for $2790.00 and said that his "associate" overpaid us. He wanted us to send money orders back to Mexico for his "properties shipment". I contacted the bank and they said the money order is a fraud and to take it to the police.

I have been emailing with him for the past month back and fourth i should have checked here first. I just received a bank draft from him too so I guess i should take it to the police then. I'm in Langley same instructions same amount on bank draft. When I received it and it was to much I felt suspicious so decided to Google him wish I had sooner.

daisy
06-10-2014, 11:30 AM
I just got an e-mail today from Jimy Beebs - anyone else get it? Seems like a scam to me.

Greetings,

My name is Mr Beebs. We are relocating to your area and we need a daycare to register our little boy as soon as possible ahead of our arrival in your area. His name is James and he's almost 3 years old

I will like to know if you have open space to register our son because we want to register our son with you now before our arrival, so we can focus on setting up our business without any waste of time on searching for daycare once we get over there.

We will like to always drop our child at your daycare Monday to Friday every morning by 10 AM to 3 PM or 4 PM. Also i will like to know how much money do you charges per day?

Please get back to me on time if you have open for our son and let me know your daily fees as well, so we can continue on their registration process with you.

Thanks

cfred
06-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Yep, got it this morning. Told them to bugger off until they could come up with something more creative.

Crayola kiddies
06-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Same scam just changed the name

MonkeyPrincess
06-10-2014, 11:49 AM
got this one too! this morning

Jules
06-16-2014, 12:25 PM
oh my goodness. I received this too. I kept replying with the fact that I would need to meet your family before proceeding. Scary isn't it??

sandylynn
06-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Where did this Mexican family get your name from?

Noble beginnings
06-18-2014, 10:09 AM
I have had 3 emails ( back and forth) from a couple from Canada who have been living in Mexico for 6 years. They are looking for a daycare for their son. they have offered to register and sign a contract and send the registration fee up front. I have informed them that I will have to meet them first and any forms, contracts and payment can be made then. I will let you know in a few days if I get a reply.

Noble beginnings
06-18-2014, 10:16 AM
That Mr. Beebs was the exact email for me too. Now I know for sure, the name was my first alarm bell!

sabmac
06-18-2014, 10:50 AM
I also got this email and have conversed back and forth with him for a few emails. Set up cost, start date, how they heard about me and whatnot. No personal info (address, phone number) has been passed on and I keep insisting on a meeting before the child starts. One: how do you know its a scam and two: what do they hope to accomplish with it?

Noble beginnings
06-18-2014, 10:57 AM
I got the same emails, they used the name Johnson Beebs.

Gloucestermom
08-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Got this today:
Brown Mikel (brownmikel@icloud.c om) Add to contacts 12:13 PM Keep this message at the top of your inbox
To: brownmikel@icloud.co m
brownmikel@icloud.co m
Greetings,

My name is Mr Mikel and my wife name is Angel Mikel. I just got your contact while searching for a home daycare in your area. We are relocating to your area and we need a daycare to register our little boy. His name is Jepta and he's 3 years old

I will like to know if you have open space for our son now or in September because we want to register our son with you now before our arrival, so we can focus on settling down once we arrive without any waste of time on searching for daycare when we get over there.

We will like to always drop our child at your daycare Monday to Thursday every morning by 10 AM to 3 PM or 4 PM. Also i will like to know how much money do you charges per day?

Please get back to me on time if you have open for our son and let me know your daily fees as well, so we can continue on their registration process with you.

Just a heads up to everyone, they're at it again!

Melesha
08-22-2014, 12:14 PM
I was also contacted by this person. He demanded my personal information and I told him to find a different day care provider wanted to send a money order as well.

Rachael
08-25-2014, 06:22 AM
Glad I read this thread over the weekend as I had this e-mail in my in-box when I woke up today. I don't have any vacancies at the moment anyway so would have likely dismissed it but thanks to you guys, I recognized the names immediately..

"Kadi Mikel <kadimikel@icloud.com>
1:01 AM (7 hours ago)

to kadimikel
Greetings,

My name is Mr Mikel and my wife name is Angel Mikel. I just got your contact while searching for a home daycare in your area. We are relocating to your area and we need a daycare to register our little boy. His name is Jepta and he's 3 years old

I will like to know if you have open space for our son now or in September because we want to register our son with you now before our arrival, so we can focus on settling down once we arrive without any waste of time on searching for daycare when we get over there.

We will like to always drop our child at your daycare Monday to Thursday every morning by 10 AM to 3 PM or 4 PM. Also i will like to know how much money do you charges per day?

Thanks"

D76
08-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Yep happened to my wife and I as well. Got my money order for $2750.00 yesterday and i knew it was a scam but i am going to lead him along and have some fun with it..lol

Rachael
08-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Well, I published mine in a private FB group for local day care providers. One of those then tewwted it to our regional police and in turn, Global News picked it up. As I walked in the door from a walk with my day care children, the phone was ringing.
They wanted to come out and do a TV interview but 1) I was working! and 2) I keep my surname off any on-line interaction because I have other people's children in my house. They did ask my some questions on-line and as a result, ran this story so at least other providers locally will now be aware.

It's around the 5 mins mark...http://globalnews.ca/video/1530599/halifax-evening-news-aug-27-2

clairebear1888
09-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Hello Gloucetermom :) I just had this same "supposed family" email me back in early Aug :( and my inner feelings/ gut feeling was telling me something did not feel right but my husband read there email also and said I was being a wee bit paranoid as they sent a picture also advise of what they look like :(... But all long I did not trust them but my husband being the good hearted soul he is and my self also but mostly my gut feeling will advise me when something or someone is not good but this time I choose to not listen to it and almost got burned for it... This was what was sent to me...Brown Mikel <brownmikel@icloud.co m>
Aug 13

to brownmikel
Greetings,

Thanks

they sent me this also Greetings,

My associate (Sally Oric) has confirmed to me today that the deposit payment has been mailed to you yesterday (Saturday), you will receive the payment before the end of this week.

Please confirm you receive this message and you're waiting for the payment, also let me know the moment you receive the payment, to be sure things are going as planned.

Important: I'm very sorry to inform you that we went to buy our flight tickets yesterday for my wife and kids but the earliest seats we got was September 14th. i know you won't be happy hearing this but we're as sad as you can be for not been able to make it over there on time as planned, but the most important is we got the tickets yesterday and September 14th.

Thanks

I have had a few emails back and forth and then this was last after receiving the money order for 2750 which I refused to put into my account or cash it after I emailed them back and advised my bank said it will take 30 days to clear as this was process to be on safe side and they never replied back to me after I told them I would send there money order back!!!! I have never and would never take someone without meeting them first but my husband felt so sorry for them and I did a bit at first also but still had this nagging feeling from inside saying something was not right.:(Sad that some evil mean people have to be this way.

This was last email they sent me...
Brown Mikel <brownmikel@icloud.co m>
Aug 29 (5 days ago)

to me
Hi,

Thanks so much, i understand, but if possible you can try to transfer the money today as well. You will need to transfer the balance by Ria Money Transfer to my name. Send money by Ria Money Transfer is fast, secure and easy. You will need to go with your debit card or cash at one of the places I looked for you below Ria Money Transfer agents in your area:

Cash Store Inc (Instaloans)
1942 Weston Rd
Toronto ON

Cash Store Inc (Instaloans)
376 Yonge Street
Toronto ON

Cash Store Inc (The Cash Store)
521 Yonge Street
Toronto ON

Cash Store Inc (The Cash Store)
3026 Danforth Avenue
Toronto ON

Below is the information you will transfer the money to. You will need to split the money into two, send half to my name and half to my wife's name because huge tax will be charged on the money here Mexico if I receive more than $ 1,500 Canadian dollars:

My Name: BROWN, Last Name: MIKEL
Her Name: ANGEL. Last Name: MIKEL
ADDRESS: 47 chiquitrines abedules, Distrito Federal, Mexico City, Mexico 07450

IMPORTANT: Just in case you were asked by Ria Money Transfer Agent about who you're transferring the money to, tell the agent that you're sending the money to a family member because the transfer fees will be lower when sending money to a family member. That's if you were ask by the Ria Money Transfer agent.

There will be a transfer fee to send money through Ria Money Transfer, so just tell the Ria Money Transfer agent to deduct the transfer fees from the money you're transferring. Please try to send the money as soon as possible and send me the order number of the receipt of a transfer after the transfer.

Thank you

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203 628179762965&set=a.2528884219336. 2127619.1170379620&type=1&theater

I HAVE ADDED A PICTURE FOR ALL TO SEE THIS IS WHAT THEY HAVE SENT TO US OF WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE WHICH IS NOT REALLY THEM....*HOPE THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE* Take care Claire

clairebear1888
09-03-2014, 07:33 PM
I hope this helps anyone out there they might try to get to also...I have posted it on my FB page as I was guided to try and make sure they do not fraud anyone else.... Cheers, Claire :)https://www.facebook.com/clairebearsonenessda ycare/photos/a.924842147532361.10 73741831.92422447426 0795/928724113810831/?type=1&theater

hunneybear
09-03-2014, 11:57 PM
so glad i read this , as i was just contacted by mexican family looking for care for one boy wants to send money to hold spot....ughh why do people need to try to scam us so sad

hunneybear
09-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Thank you for posting that, i got this email also and something was sending signals to me, many emails back and forth with him. I am so glad i have caught this and will be warning all in my area
exact same date this was sent to me also

daycaremom9
09-04-2014, 05:25 PM
My hubby thought I should try replying to the same email that I received from this person. I find that he is much too trusting and generally believes whatever people tell him as long as it's reasonable.

GWallace
09-10-2014, 02:16 PM
A few weeks ago I heard from an inquiring parent needing care immediately for his two sons. He confirmed that my day home was the one he would like for his sons to attend as soon as they returned to Calgary from Mexico. He sent a money order for far more than my deposit. He's now requesting that I deposit it and putting all kinds of pressure on me to issue him a new money order and send it to his address in Mexico; not allowing the time for it to clear in my account and even going so far as suggesting I deposit it in an ATM and withdraw the remainder to issue a new one. Alarm bells went off and I requested the teller at my bank to hold it for as long as it takes to fully clear and letting her know how sketchy I think it is. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to add this to the scam as it may help others....

I received an email from "Ben Mikel" using email: benmikel@icloud.com
He is apparently in Mexico... I was unsure so I played along and his emails smelt fishy to me as my mum had been scammed similarly 6 yrs ago for $5,000 and the bank almost pressed charges because it was a high amount. Anyway, here is his emails:
On Aug 13, 2014, at 12:07 PM, Ben Mikel <benmikel@icloud.com> wrote:

Greetings,

Thanks

Next one:
On Aug 18, 2014, at 2:30 PM, Ben Mikel <benmikel@icloud.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am very happy to receive your detailed response to my questions. We are happy and comfortable to put our child in your daycare.

Our son is toilet trained. Our son don't have allergies or dietary restrictions and don't need any special care. He's just a normal loving kid, very active with good behavior and no temperament. Our son walk smartly on his own without stroller. His already potty trained. Our son can start by 10th of September, but if 10th of September is not available, you can give us any other start date according to your opens.

I will like to know if their will be a registration fee or any additional charges before starting? I have attached our family picture with this message, so you can know what we all look like, the picture include all of us including our second child Dave, his just 3 months old.

Jepta date of birth is: August 23rd 2011. Don’t forget we are registering only Jepta with you.

Please get back to me on my question on if their will be any additional charges for registration as soon as you can.

Thanks

Last one:
Hello,

Alright, everything is perfectly understood. We are okay with any start date you choose. I will not arrive in Canada until 29th of September because i have to stay back in Mexico to put everything in order before leaving Mexico. My wife and the children will arrive in Canada on the 9th of September and meet you the next day or any day you like, so she can fill and sign all papers/forms or contract needed to be signed with you in person.

I need your name and address or PO box address, to mail 1 month deposit of money order to you as soon as possible by express mail to secure our place with you.

Waiting for your response soon.

Thanks so much.

Here is the picture being sent out: <Family.jpg> I hope you all can see it.

After I refused the money he did not email me back. PLEASE do NOT fall trap to money orders from strangers without letting them fully clear at the bank etc.. and tell your bank teller your wary about the money order so they know what to expect.

Here is further reported scams: http://globalnews.ca/news/1187433/online-scam-targets-child-care-operators/

Thanks and hoping to hep others :)

Vbrumsey@hotmail.com
09-10-2014, 05:10 PM
I recently got an email from BrownMikel@icloud.co m. Luckily my husband knew it was a scam right from the get go as no one in their right mind would be comfortable enough to leave their child with someone they never met. However I did entertain the fact that he could scam me lol

I received this email :

Greetings,

Thanks

And after a few emails asking his questions he stated that he was more than comfortable leaving his child with me. I also received a money order in the mail for $2750.00 that was clearly fake.

I wanted to make all the other daycare providers aware of this but then found this thread which shows that you are

I wanted to take to the Police but was told that there is not much they can do about this as it would be hard for them to track the IP address, so the next best thing was to warn you ladies

Mellybean21
09-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to add this to the scam as it may help others....

I received an email from "Ben Mikel" using email: benmikel@icloud.com
He is apparently in Mexico... I was unsure so I played along and his emails smelt fishy to me as my mum had been scammed similarly 6 yrs ago for $5,000 and the bank almost pressed charges because it was a high amount. Anyway, here is his emails:
On Aug 13, 2014, at 12:07 PM, Ben Mikel <benmikel@icloud.com> wrote:

Greetings,

Thanks

Next one:
On Aug 18, 2014, at 2:30 PM, Ben Mikel <benmikel@icloud.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am very happy to receive your detailed response to my questions. We are happy and comfortable to put our child in your daycare.

Our son is toilet trained. Our son don't have allergies or dietary restrictions and don't need any special care. He's just a normal loving kid, very active with good behavior and no temperament. Our son walk smartly on his own without stroller. His already potty trained. Our son can start by 10th of September, but if 10th of September is not available, you can give us any other start date according to your opens.

I will like to know if their will be a registration fee or any additional charges before starting? I have attached our family picture with this message, so you can know what we all look like, the picture include all of us including our second child Dave, his just 3 months old.

Jepta date of birth is: August 23rd 2011. Don’t forget we are registering only Jepta with you.

Please get back to me on my question on if their will be any additional charges for registration as soon as you can.

Thanks

Last one:
Hello,

Alright, everything is perfectly understood. We are okay with any start date you choose. I will not arrive in Canada until 29th of September because i have to stay back in Mexico to put everything in order before leaving Mexico. My wife and the children will arrive in Canada on the 9th of September and meet you the next day or any day you like, so she can fill and sign all papers/forms or contract needed to be signed with you in person.

I need your name and address or PO box address, to mail 1 month deposit of money order to you as soon as possible by express mail to secure our place with you.

Waiting for your response soon.

Thanks so much.

Here is the picture being sent out: <Family.jpg> I hope you all can see it.

After I refused the money he did not email me back. PLEASE do NOT fall trap to money orders from strangers without letting them fully clear at the bank etc.. and tell your bank teller your wary about the money order so they know what to expect.

Here is further reported scams: http://globalnews.ca/news/1187433/online-scam-targets-child-care-operators/

Thanks and hoping to hep others :)

Hi everyone!
I have just recently gotten an email from this same guy "Ben Mikel" same email account at icloud at the beginning of the month for his son to start September 10 then all of a sudden he couldn't get tickets so the trip was postponed it to be September 19 and then i get this chq in the mail for $2750.00 and him saying my associate made a mistake and sent me the money meant for his furniture.

His emails start off with very bad English and as soon as you tell him i have the chq his English improves

I played along from the beginning and as soon as he doesn't get his way he gets really testy to send him the money ASAP so his family can "travel".
this is his last email to me

Hi,
As I have said, the rest of the money to send our furniture from Mexico to Canada.
It is important to ship our furniture before my family travel to Canada because our new home in Canada is currently empty, there is no reason for my family to live in an empty house when they arrive in Canada.
That is why the furniture must be shipped as soon as possible before my family travel to Canada
I want you to please understand our situation. Yes deduct you monthly fee and transfer the balance through western Union as soon as possible.
thank you.

this is the family picture he sent me
hopefully you can see it

I have the info of his western union and supposedly Mexican address so hopefully the police department can track this too.

HOPE THIS HELPS MORE DAYCARE OPERATORS.

SevenwatersDaughter
09-25-2014, 09:18 AM
This happened to me too -- well, they e-mailed me, but I refused to hold the spot until we had a face-to-face interview.

Gloucestermom
09-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Got another email address to watch out for:
davidandvanessa01@gm ail.com
Same scam, different email!

dodge__driver11
09-30-2014, 12:10 PM
I got one from david and Vanessa too

clairebear1888
10-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Hello all I just wanted to give a heads up its happening again this time they seen my daycare AD on kijiji :unsure and it sent red lights off again!!!!
I'm interested in your service for my 3 years old Child. Please let me know your daily and weekly charges, so i can get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks
You can respond to "aril2000@icloud.com" by replying to this email.

This person Aril2000 also took a few days to reply back as even though I knew it was a fraud I wanted to see if they would respond back to me seeing they tried to hook me before!!! They responded back yesterday and here is reply....Aril Dawkins <aril2000@icloud.com>
Sep 30 (1 day ago)

to me
Hi,

I apologize for my late response, its because my internet connection was down. I would have loved to call you but we are presently on vacation and will not be convenient for me, that's why i chose to email you.

Your charges is very affordable for me. I will be happy if you can tell me a little about your self and more about your general service.

I will get back to you with all the necessary information you need to know about my son as soon as i hear from you.

Thanks.

VERY MUCH WISH THEY CAN BE STOPPED FROM TRYING SCAM DAY CARES AND INNOCENT GOOD HARD WORKING TRUSTING PEOPLE :)

HOPE THIS INFO IS HELPFUL AGAIN AND GOOD LUCK ALL.....

Take care with peace and hugs from Toronto Ontario Claire

Sandbox Sally
10-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Hoo boy. Some people have no sense of human decency.

monkeys
10-03-2014, 01:10 PM
I received the exact same emails as Clairebear, but it was from bah31@icoud.com. Again they were responding to my kijiji ad. The first email seemed odd, but I replied with a few questions. The second email did not answer my questions:no:, so I deleted them.

I am in Alberta, so everyone watch out.

FunnyFarm
10-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Watch out for a smithdawkins@icloud. com too! not as detailed as some of the previous emails, but very suspicious as well. I have elected to not respond. ;)

FunnyFarm
10-04-2014, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=clairebear1888 ;69382]
I'm interested in your service for my 3 years old Child. Please let me know your daily and weekly charges, so i can get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks
You can respond to "aril2000@icloud.com" by replying to this email.

This person Aril2000 also took a few days to reply back as even though I knew it was a fraud I wanted to see if they would respond back to me seeing they tried to hook me before!!! They responded back yesterday and here is reply....Aril Dawkins <aril2000@icloud.com>
Sep 30 (1 day ago)

to me
Hi,

I apologize for my late response, its because my internet connection was down. I would have loved to call you but we are presently on vacation and will not be convenient for me, that's why i chose to email you.

Your charges is very affordable for me. I will be happy if you can tell me a little about your self and more about your general service.

I will get back to you with all the necessary information you need to know about my son as soon as i hear from you.

Thanks.

Mine was exactly the same! I did exactly as you. What got me is I never mentioned my fee! Wow. Crazy.

crazy_lady28
10-06-2014, 07:14 PM
I just got emailed by these ppl, and damn near fell for it. She claimed to have a 3 yr old son named Brian and needed care for him when she returned from vacation in Mexico. They also told me that unless I gave them my information so that they could send me a deposit, they would have to find another daycare. Kept saying she couldn't call because of long distance charges bla bla bla. I googled her iCloud email address and found this site.
I am new to home daycare and cannot thank everyone enough for posting their experience! I refused to give her any information and I have you guys (and gals) to thank for it! I emailed them that I know it's a scam and if they ever contact me again, I will call the cops. Although I'm sure that wouldn't do anything anyways.
I'm glad that I can still rely on the honesty of strangers posting their experiences and warnings.

Small Adventures
10-08-2014, 02:28 PM
This just happened to me. The person posed as a mother of a 3 year old boy and needed daycare but was in Mexico for the next two weeks. I had a few adds up and she sent the same email to all the adds, which was the first red flag. We corresponded a few times and she sent me a picture of her and her son. I kept reminding her that daycare doesn't open until January but she wouldn't commit to a date and kept saying that she would agree to whatever date I gave her...second red flag. Then, she asked for my address twice to mail a deposit , which was way more than I had asked and when I refused to take a deposit by mail (since she was supposed to be returning to Canada next week), she gave me an ultimatum that if I didn't take her deposit, she would go somewhere else...last red flag. So I sent her a kind message asking her to look elsewhere. Her email address was edisdawkins@icloud.c om. Just in case you come across it. I had a bad feeling about it and then found this thread, so I am very happy I followed my gut feeling!

Small Adventures
10-08-2014, 02:30 PM
I got the same person! I am so glad that I didn't respond either! I posted her email address on here just in case! It was very disappointing, but I still have faith in mankind LOL

FunnyFarm
10-08-2014, 07:10 PM
I swear, we need to make a collection of all the email addressess, create a fake "government of Canada" email account and tell these people in an email that "We" (ie Canada) is onto them and are in the process of tracking them down.

See how they would like it!

farnaz64
10-15-2014, 08:13 PM
I received an email from Smith, Dawkins <smithdawkins@icloud .com> a few weeks a go that she is in Mexico and didn't fund daycare for her 3 years old boy. after a week she send me a photo from family. I told her when come back Canada we can meet together and see her son. after two weeks she told my son is sick and have to stay in Mexico till 28 OCT so I send you a money order by my associate (Sally E. Oric) and I was surprise how can she trust me. It was red flag for me and search in internet and see this forum. I know this email is scam and didn't receive this money order till now. Do you think it's better that I will write the envelop of mail (if I received it) word of return and do not accepted this mail? thanks for your help.

Gynsmom
10-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Hi there, so sad my very first thread is to help warn other people:( However, the fact that there are so many of us willing to warn and help out shows there are still a lot of good people out there. SO I am just starting up my daycare and got an email from a Douglas Long, stating he was on vacation in Mexico and needs daycare for his 2 year old Jamy. I thought he was odd at first, but thought I should at least reply. By the second email he was saying he was comfortable to leave his son in my care (without meeting me or even seeing my home!). Massive red flag. I questioned it and he has just sent emails trying to get my information to send me a deposit ever since. Total scam. Please beware.

Mdxchick
10-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Yep happened to my wife and I as well. Got my money order for $2750.00 yesterday and i knew it was a scam but i am going to lead him along and have some fun with it..lol

I hope we can find this bitch or asshole.....

Elly
10-23-2014, 03:15 PM
I got an email from jankeandrew2@icloud. He apologized for his late response because he didn't have internet. He claimed he was on vacation and wanted his son Reek, to start as soon as possible. He said he would get back to me with all the necessary information and a picture of the family. After reading all the messages, I don't think I will respond to this email. Very frustrating...I just want to fill a spot.

momma2two
10-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Got one too. :cursing::cursing:

Shula
10-31-2014, 04:17 PM
This just surfaced in Airdrie and Calgary...

cssmith
10-31-2014, 04:31 PM
I received this same email and he refused to tell me how he got my email. I have not sent any other info but I am very upset with him. Scuz bag.

cssmith
10-31-2014, 04:35 PM
This is the email conversations between this gentleman and I

Greetings,

I'm Mr Young. We are relocating to your area and we need a daycare to register our soon as possible.

I will like to know if you have open space now on in November for our son and i will like to know your rates as well. We will always drop our son at your location by 9 AM to 3 PM or 4 PM from Monday to Friday.

Please get back to me on time if you have open for our son and let me know your rates, so i can get back to you on tome

Thanks

Hi there. Thanks for your inquiry. I am a private dayhome. I charge $700 per month for full time care. You can call me to set up an interview time. 403 541 0720. How old is your son, what is his name and does he have any allergies/food restrictions? Those times/days work for me.
Let me know what works for you to come by for an interview.

Also I was just wondering how you found out about my dayhome?
(End of first email)

Hello,

Thanks for your quick response and sorry for my late response we have been very busy. We are Canadian working and living in Mexico City, Mexico for the past 6 years, it's time to relocate back to Canada on 15th of November 2014. I would have loved to call you but our work timing will not allow me to and i will need a calling card to do so, that's why i chose emailing for proper registration process ahead our arrival.

Our son's name is Daly, he's date of birth is: September 3rd 2011.

We want our son to start soon. I will be happy if you can tell me about how save, clean and comfortable is your place for children? Please tell me about your daily routine, meals and your experience.

I will get back to you with all the necessary information you need to know about my son and our picture as soon as i hear from you.

Thanks

Hi there.
I have had a dayhome since January 2003 and have my own kids

Yes my home is clean and safe.I don't follow a schedule but have activities for the kids- lots of toys,play dough, coloring, painting crafts and outside time too. What does your son like to do or play with?

I am a chef by trade and serve healthy snacks and lunches everyday. If you have food restrictions please let me know.

Will you have a job right away when you arrive?

How did you find out about my dayhome? I need to know that please. I don't advertise so I need to know how you know about me.
Thanks Crystal
( end of email #2)
Hi,

Our son is toilet trained. Our son don't have allergies or dietary restrictions and don't need any special care. He's just a normal loving kid, very active with good behavior and no temperament. Our son walk smartly on his own without stroller. His already potty trained. Our son can start by 17th of November, but if 17th of November is not available, you can give us any other start date according to your opens.

I will like to know if their will be a registration fee or any additional charges before starting? I have attached our family picture with this message, so you can know what we all look like, the picture include all of us including our second child Jason, his just 3 months old. Please don't forget we are registering only Daly for now.

Thanks

I still did not get a response on how you found out about my dayhome. If you cannot answer me on this I unfortunately cannot accept your son. I do not advertise so I really need to know how you got my info. It is a safety issue for not only my family but my dayhome kids as well.
Thanks for understanding.
Crystal
(End of email #3)

AmandaKDT
11-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Got that exact same email earlier this week. I am quite positive they got my email address from Daycare Bear. I got the email only 2 days after creating a profile and posting a vacancy on this website.

torontokids
11-01-2014, 09:43 AM
csmith- remove your phone number from this posting! You don't want that floating around

torontokids
11-01-2014, 09:44 AM
I noticed their responses are getting more specific and they have covered a lot of the areas we generally ask about. They are definitely getting more sophisticated.

tammy hickey
11-06-2014, 11:44 AM
My name is Tammy and i run a private day care in my home and i have been a part of this scam of this mexican man…His add was a single dad of a three year old boy named Reek,the dads name is Denis Jake Andrew. At first i was excited to hear from something and then when i told one of my moms about this guy she said it was a scam!!! I was so mad and upset that people are now even going after day cares. I have spoken to him threw emails and then i got the email about his son was sick and couldn't meet me in november 15.. i got his fake deposit cheque today which i had decided that i wasn't gonna cash it before i knew it was a scam cause i had this gutt feeling that something wasn't right. The total is $2771.30 which i think is crazy to hold a spot. I am wondering if i should go to the police over this. He emailed me today wanting to know if i got the cheque.i am not sure if i should respond.

torontokids
11-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Ignore him. Don't respond and bring the cheque to the police with a print out of his emails. You weren't scammed! You never cashed the cheque so you are fine.

bigmexicanscams
10-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Contacted in January 2015, advertisement online for house boat worth about $50k for sale for $9k in San Diego due to family medical emergency. Family from Mexico City with sick daughter with cancer, must sell fast.

Sent $9k, said daughter died and we never heard from again. TOTAL scam and out of the country. Couldn't do anything except stay upset trying to do something because out of country and always paid third part courier cash.

Don't fall for the scam

clairebear1888
11-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Just wish to share with all another scam that came through to me a day ago .... I did not at first feel it to be a scam I guess I let my guard down because they family said they were from Liverpool England and I have friends living there..Anyways it is a Scam *BEWARE PROVIDERS OUT THERE* ...Tim Lords <timlords@yahoo.com>
Nov 10 (1 day ago) :cursing:

to me
Hello,

I'm Nancy and my husband is Tim Lords from Liverpool, United Kingdom ,we will be coming to your area in ON, for 3weeks Vacation / Missionary trip from 9th Dec 24th Dec 2015.we will be coming with our 2year old baby boy (Paul) and your service will be needed to babysit Paul on a daily basis for 2weeks just for 5hours daily ,between 10am-2pm from Monday - Friday of every week 2weeks which will make it 15days service and we may extend depending on how our vacation goes .

We have read through your profile and we see you are the perfect match for the kind of baby sitter we want to take care of my baby for us .Paul is our only child and we will need you to take proper care of him for us because he is all we've got and we are proud of him and always grateful to God for giving us such bundle of joy,he is a baby you would always want to be with even after your service as the sitter expires because he is friendly and always happy whenever he is among his peer groups.

We will like to know if you will be able to offer this service, If yes kindly get back with your quote for the service ,duration as specified.

Regards,
Nancy Lords

And after I replied back this was sent.... Greetings In the name of the lord,

Thanks so much for your response, we are so pleased to read from you and hopefully you will be the great care giver we seek for our son. Your charges is so much flexible and very okay by us , we would so much appreciate it if you could get back with the quote for the 15 days service. We understand your reason for willing to speak over the phone and that is not a problem to
us in anyway . Kindly get back with the full quote and also your direct cell number number so that we can call you later tonight .

Till we read from you again .
Remain blessed in the Lord
Tim and Nancy

Tim Lords
7:00 AM (10 hours ago)

to me
Also you can give us a call at around 4pm your time ..

+447031910561

Thanks

*HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS SO YOU DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SHIT AGAIN* SO FRUSTRATING GETTING THESE .....GRRR..

Warm regards,

Claire

clairebear1888
11-21-2016, 07:36 AM
Hello everyone :) I am not sure how to post a new link so I am adding to these posts...I received Nov 19th another *SCAM FROM THESE GUYS ... * BEWARE ALL DAYCARE PROVIDERS * ... Get back to me as soon as possible!!!!
Inbox
x

Peggy Hopkins
7:21 AM (54 minutes ago)

to me
Hello ,
Good to hear from you...and thanks for the interest you showed...About my daughter Grace, She is the only child I have, I will be coming over to your area by next weeks from the state for a workshop which will last for 3 weeks but will be there in Canada for a year so, the job is a year job okay. you will work for me for a year. I will be Lodging in an hotel around your area for my stay and later after the workshop move to an apt which i will rent...i will need your service for my daughter once am in the hotel and after i leave there for my apt which i will stay after the workshop. i will let you know the hotel once am through with my traveling arrangement... Well, the Job is $500 weekly all for 8:30am to 1:30pm or 2:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Possibly additional day. You can get back with a most convenient time for yourself... Regards to your payment, my mode of payment will be by check and you will be receiving it before my arrival. i will contact you with the exact date of arrival so you can start NANNY immediately without any delay. I will like to inform you that the payment will be in "EXCESS" so you can deduct a week payment upfront from it; and a compensation fee of $50 for your run around from your home to the hotel i will be...(i.e for your transportation). So, when you get the payment and deduct your a week upfront payment from it, the excess payment will have to be sent to my travel agent so that he can make necessary arrangements for my travel documents to get ready. I will disclose his information to you once payment is made to you. I will get back to you once i hear from him. so you will have to provide me with the below information if you are interested so I can forward it to my secretary to issue out the payment to you:

FULL CONTACT NAME:
ADDRESS:
CITY:
STATE:
Postal Code:
Cell NUMBER:
pls, let me know if you accept this offer or not...if not, so i can get someone who will work for me before my arrival...pls, reply is very urgent.I will wait to hear from you soon...
Best Regards

clairebear1888
11-21-2016, 07:37 AM
This was first email I received and did not have good feeling but replied and then this morning they sent above email ... :cursing:
Peggy Hopkins <peggyhopkin0101@gmai l.com>
Nov 19 (2 days ago)

to me
Hi, i'm in need of a babysitter/nanny for my 3 yrs old daughter. I need a caring and a baby lover to take this position for my daughter

Peacefulbird
11-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Hi. It is so sad that this kind of criminals have access to our homes through their emails. Please, please. Do not send any money if you can and you're responding to them tell then that you're already filing a report with the police. You'll see how that will scare them. Now with all the technology they can be tracked. They do not have heart they belon to crime organized groups. And most likely they do not work alone. They also know, how to use technology.

Van
11-21-2016, 03:07 PM
This is a spam, and it is better if you don't reply