PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Sunflower
02-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I am the mother of 2 young boys and also a daycare provider(subsidized ) in the province of quebec.
I care for a total of 6 kids ages 2-5 and have been doing this for 2 years now
I am so thrilled this forum is here! It is a great place to learn from each other, and grow !

Looking forward to meeting others :)

admin
02-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Hello Sunflower !

First of all, welcome on our new forum; we hope you'll have a great time here! We're just a few users right now but it shouldn't be too long before we're submerged by hundreds of messages :D.

Out of curiosity, did you manage to fill all your daycare openings ? Did being subsidized help ? And, do you find it more stressful or restrictive to operate as a subsidized daycare provider (if you weren't before) ? :confused: I know, I'm asking too much questions :p

Sunflower
02-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Thank you for your kind welcome!
To answer your questions, yes , being subsidized had definitely made it easier to fill spot.
I know because I started out as a private daycare and it took months to fill all my spots. After becoming subsidized ,I had a waiting list (very big demand in my area) .
to be honest , nothing has really changed in my daycare since I became subsidized. Nothing except the paper work. now I have to fill out an extra 2 pieces of paper every 2 weeks lol.
And the fact that I have to do a 45 hr course soon, But they give us 2 years to get that out of the way.
Admin, Do you have a daycare?

admin
02-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks for your answers Sunflower ! It seems a lot of parents in Quebec don't know about or don't use the dedicated tax return that can (in certain circumstances) reduce a non-subsidized rate to the level of a subsidized one. Otherwise, I don't know how to explain the surge in demand when non-subsidized daycare providers become subsidized. :confused: Anyways, I'm glad your daycare is now full !

To answer your question, no, unfortunately, I do not have a daycare :( But, to talk a little bit about me, I'm currently a med student and I'm interested to go into pediatrics (*fingers crossed*) :D. Uh oh, I now foresee a lot of medical questions being asked on the forum... Please, keep in mind the "student" part in the last sentence :rolleyes:.

daycaremom
02-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Hello Sunflower,

I am also a mother and daycare provider in Ontario. I am also excited about networking with other providers on this forum.

Sunflower
02-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks for your answers Sunflower ! It seems a lot of parents in Quebec don't know about or don't use the dedicated tax return that can (in certain circumstances) reduce a non-subsidized rate to the level of a subsidized one. Otherwise, I don't know how to explain the surge in demand when non-subsidized daycare providers become subsidized. :confused: Anyways, I'm glad your daycare is now full !

To answer your question, no, unfortunately, I do not have a daycare :( But, to talk a little bit about me, I'm currently a med student and I'm interested to go into pediatrics (*fingers crossed*) :D. Uh oh, I now foresee a lot of medical questions being asked on the forum... Please, keep in mind the "student" part in the last sentence :rolleyes:.

oh, you are correct. you are going to be bombarded with questions lol many from me! Good luck with your studies : )
I completely agree that many parents are not informed when it comes to the dedicated tax return . Many don;t know about it, others think it is too much work and most don't know that it can reduce a non-subsidized rate to the level of a subsidized one. Parents are also now refunded on a monthly basis vs 3 months .
When I was still a private daycare I tried to inform interested parents .But as soon as they found out my $25 /day fee they lost interest . ( there are many in my area that charge 15 or 20$ a day !!!)
A few were also concerned that no one " checked in " on private day cares. I also tried to educate them when it came to this issue. There are wonderful day cares out there, private and subsidized. a parent must do their homework.
But over all, I think looking for a daycare can be a very overwhelming ordeal for new parents !