PDA

View Full Version : Finding your passion

torontokids
01-08-2014, 11:13 AM
So I am doing daycare until September. I have been enjoying it but I know I won't do this long term. The idea of going back to my old job is not all that appealing and nothing I can think of really excites me. I really like working for myself and I am really good at the business side of things. I guess I would need to figure out what to go into the business of...

My background is as a therapist (child and family). All my experience is working with children however I have a knack for getting things donated or for free (many of my agencies have discovered and used this), I am a good salesperson, I am super organized, energetic...just need some guidance. any thoughts?

bright sparks
01-08-2014, 11:41 AM
What about working as an events fundraiser?? That requires excellent communication and organization skills. You could work for a charity or your healthcare service. I'm sure there are many other companies who require this kind of thing. Team Leaders and coordinators run events such as Pride for example which to my understanding is a year round job so not just seasonal which wouldn't be ideal. How about OEYC/ROCK?? They too I imagine would require someone in a management position to organize many activities and events throughout the year and with your background in childcare I am sure they would see your experience and areas of strength as a great asset to their organization. Hope those ideas help :)

gravy_train
01-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Torontokids - I love this post! I am in the same situation as you in that daycare is short term for me and I will likely be closing in 2014. I love being my own boss but really miss the interaction with the outside world and intellectual stimulation that comes from doing something you are passionate about. Have you thought about starting a business as an independent therapist?

torontokids
01-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Gravy_train- I have practiced independently but never really committed to it as I did it on the side in addition to my full time job at an agency as a therapist. As much as I enjoy the work, I think I have lost interest/passion for it.

I know there are lot's of things I am good at it is just finding something I am passionate about I guess.

Brightsparks- I had thought along those lines or even as a wedding coordinator/events coordinator. I think I am kind of in a place that I want to start something that I can do the hard work in the beginning then hire people to do the dirty jobs later. I think I am just in a rut and don't know what I want in a few aspects of my life e.g. another kid, work, should we move closer to my family etc etc

Fun&care
01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
I am glad you posted about this. I have been thinking a lot about my future in daycare lately too,and what my plans are. Truth is, when I opened my daycare I saw everything through rose colored glasses and thought I would do this for a very long time (10-15 years?) . It's been about 2 years now and I'm done. My daughter still has 11/2 years to go before she starts school so I am really debating if I should stick it out until then or just put her in preschool/ daycare and find a job. But I have nothing to go back to...I have no post secondary education and never had a job I liked. In fact I quit a few jobs within a few weeks/ months. I am pretty picky I guess. I also REALLY like working for myself, actually I know I am meant to be self employed but I feel like I need to find a passion like you said. So I know how you feel!

playfelt
01-08-2014, 12:33 PM
There are some career counselling services that will also give you an aptitude type test that identifies strengths and weaknesses and may point you in a direction you never thought of.

To be your own boss you could look at something like Usborne books, discovery toys, etc that would allow you to run it as you want, put your childcare/therapy skills to use and eventually have a downline to oversee. If you are undecided on the things at the end of your post this might be a good option in that you can move it with you, slack off with a new baby, etc.

Are there other things you had an interest in when younger that your own children might be getting into that you could get involved in but from a work standpoint not just volunteer - skating, a craft, etc.

Is there the option to open a therapy business but be the administrator rather than one of the workers - or something related - always a need for respite workers.

Many charities need people who can help with fundraising especially.

bright sparks
01-08-2014, 01:04 PM
I paid for the aptitude testing and I'm glad I did but I wouldn't recommend it. It is a generalization and some of the answers are just completely wrong. It is a standardized test where they imply that they can tailor it to a particular individual but really I don't think it is that useful and that is why I am glad I did it, because it reinforced that I am the only one who can discover my passion and in order to do so I have to experience as much as possible.

Torontokids....I am anal when it comes to research and organization lol. My husband on many occasions has recommended I go into events organizing or a tour company or something like that. I research extensively for the best prices, I strive for impeccable customer service and I love to meet new people and interact. The wedding planner idea would also be a great venture also. I am very excited for you and wish you the best of luck.

espresso33
01-08-2014, 01:07 PM
You mentioned you are super organized. Why not look into becoming a professional home/commercial organizer? I hired one last spring...my first time doing so, and they were great! Organized and rearranged my mud room and all my bedrooms, including closets. I suppose it could be a tiring task, but you mentioned you are energetic, so thought I'd put the suggestion out there.

Jenny
01-08-2014, 05:22 PM
What a good post, one of the reasons I a going into home daycare is I am burnt out and tired of my teaching job (grade 5/6 high needs)
Like most teachers and you, I am obsessed with organizing, paperwork, ..... I am hoping this for fills some of that and my desire to be my own boss.
I'd like to eventually run a community preschool and that this will give me tools and experience for that.

I am wondering what skills it takes to run a home daycare and if I will get enough satisfaction from it.