PDA

View Full Version : Winter Snack Ideas!

gravy_train
01-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone can share some easy, inexpensive and healthy snack options? I am in a snack rut!! We regularly eat: hummus, crackers and a veggie or two, fresh baked banana bread or muffins, fruit and cheese, yogurt. My group is under age 2.5 ad we don't eat processed food.
Thank you!

torontokids
01-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Those are my snack go to's as well. We also have pita chips (bake the pita in the toaster oven and cut up) with hummus, raisins, cheese and crackers. I have wanted to try and make homemade goldfish crackers however I am sick at the moment and don't have the energy.

torontokids
01-16-2014, 01:51 PM
apple sauce

torontokids
01-16-2014, 01:53 PM
we also have homemade trail mix (using different cereals, raisins, crasins), multi grain pretzels (processed)

gravy_train
01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
thank you for the suggestions! i was worried that raisins were a choking hazard - my youngest is 16 months - what do you think?

torontokids
01-16-2014, 02:01 PM
I give them to all the kids (I think recommended age is 2 yo)

Sassygirl
01-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Pomegranate seeds are the newest hit here with all my kiddos. They inhale them!

Raisins are big here as well, rice cakes, cheese strings, yogurt tubes (I freeze them for my kiddos since they are young and that way they don't make a huge mess).

I liked all the other ideas as well.

JennJubie
01-16-2014, 02:57 PM
I continue to make fruitsicles through the winter. I just throw fruit, (usually strawberries) in the food processor and freeze in popsicle molds.

ttremble88
01-16-2014, 05:41 PM
Snacks here are usually a fruit or veggie (depending on who is here and what is for lunch)
Popular Fruits: banana, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, apple, tangerines.
Popular Veggies: cucumber, broccoli (steamed) carrots (raw or steamed), avocado, sliced peppers, celery with peanut butter
Others: crackers, cheese, yogurts, crossiants

mimi
01-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Love the fruitsicle idea. Funny, many of my clients prefer I don't serve raisins because they tend to stick to the kids teeth. I would love to serve pom seeds but I don't think my crew would be thrilled with the seed(?). They are so texture sensitive!
Feel better Torontokids :)

5 Little Monkeys
01-16-2014, 06:34 PM
I give raisins and craisins to my kids, the youngest has been 15 months or so? The first time you give it to them(or anything new), be at the table and ready for any choking just in case! :) One of the moms told me her daughter loves the yogurt covered ones but I haven't given those ones yet.

One of their favourite snacks is fruit or veggie pizza. There are recipes online for it but I usually just serve it on tortilla wraps. You could make it yourself so it's not processed.

They also like tortilla wraps with pb or cream cheese. Sometimes I add a banana to it, roll it up and cut into slices. We call it "kid friendly sushi". I also freeze the yogurt tubes for the younger ones. Smoothies are a favourite too.

bright sparks
01-16-2014, 07:47 PM
I make pancakes with allsorts of different fillings like apple cinnamon, chocolate chips, blueberries etc and then once they have cooled layer them between parchment paper, put them in a freezer bag and freeze them. Pop them in the toaster straight from the freezer and hey presto there is a super quick filling and nutritious snack :)

bright sparks
01-16-2014, 07:48 PM
I also make pinwheels with w.w or raw tortillas 5 little monkeys....sweet and savoury...quick snack and always a big hit

5 Little Monkeys
01-16-2014, 08:05 PM
You actually inspired me to make pancakes this week bright sparks lol. I made apple cinnamon ones :)

What are pinwheels?

Spixie33
01-16-2014, 08:43 PM
You actually inspired me to make pancakes this week bright sparks lol. I made apple cinnamon ones :)

What are pinwheels?

Basically a tortilla wrap that you fill, roll, then cut..... = delicious
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/492649933233809/

I have never made them for the kids...I am worried they would just fall apart. I don't even have luck with any kind of wraps with the kids.... All the toppings seem to fall out

5 Little Monkeys
01-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Thanks spixie!! I actually googled it too haha. That is like the wraps I do with pb and banana or cream cheese and banana. They do okay with them, a few take them apart but they also take apart sandwiches lol. If I'm making sandwiches with wraps I just cut them into triangle pieces and they eat them that way.

Crayola kiddies
01-17-2014, 06:59 AM
My new fav fruit for the kids is dragon fruit ..... It's like kiwi but white inside ... Very mild tasting ..... I put them in smoothies too ..... I do yoghurt , apple sauce, yoghurt covered raisins and cranraisins, mini bagels, English muffins with pb or cream cheese or hummus .... My crew is very "bread " motivated .... Everyday no matter what we are eating two of them say can we have bread when we are done ? Yikes

monkeymama
01-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Muffins, homemade granola, trail mix, veggies and dip are favorites around here!

gravy_train
01-17-2014, 12:29 PM
awesome! thank you for the suggestions! do you think serving something like applesauce on its own is enough for a snack?

happy@home
01-17-2014, 12:51 PM
We have cinnamon crackers with fruit salsa a lot. Also as an activity the kids will make banana sushi by flattening a slice of whole wheat bread, spread with peanut butter, add half a banana.Roll and slice like a sushi roll. Add a cup of milk and you have a healthy 4 food group snack that entertained the kids for at least 15 minutes.

sunnydays
01-17-2014, 01:41 PM
I don't think I have anything else to add, but when I serve applesauce I often put it with some Greek yogurt or plain yogurt to add some protein. I don't find it fills them up enough otherwise. I don't serve raisins because they are very sweet and do stick in the teeth and can cause cavities. I do put them in muffins sometimes or cooked in oatmeal as they don't stick in the teeth as much when they are cooked...but I also limit them because dried fruit is usually sulphered which is not healthy.