PDA

View Full Version : Dck sick at school

mattsmom
01-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Ok, so has anyone had to deal with dcp wanting you to pick their sick child up from school?
Had a dcm call today saying that the school called her at work (works about an hour away) and said that her son is sick and needed to be picked up. She says that there is no use of her coming because she is an hour away and asks if I would walk down to the school and get him!!!
I told her that I had little ones sleeping(naptime) and that no, I would not. So all she says is that she will call the school and let them know. So I figured that she would leave work to get him. Well, I get to the school and stopped to ask the teacher if he had been picked up and he hadn't....plus she didn't even call the school back!!! She just figured that I would just take him home and keep him until she got here after work, which is between 4:30 and 4:45!!
Well, I took him and quarantined him as soon as we got home. I called her on her cell and asked where she was. She says to me that "Oh, I had to take a coworker to the hospital, so I couldn't get there in time", which was a total lie. I told her that she was lucky that I talked to the teacher because I don't take sick kids home with for the fact that I don't want to get sick and I don't want anyone else to either. I also politely mentioned that if kids do come sick, then it is very possible that I would get sick and that means I would be taking days off, therefore she would have to be home with him. She didn't like that thought, lol.
So have any of you had to deal with this and how did you handle it?

Crayola kiddies
01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
You deal with it with a termination ... Her sick child is her problem and sick kids are not allowed at daycare (I'm assuming you have this in your contract). Did you have other kids to pick up at the school? I guess she is lucky you spoke to the teacher because what if you hadn't? In my daycare she would get her walking papers cause that is just irresponsible parenting

Just reread your post ... You mean a co worker was more important then her child ..... Next .....

mattsmom
01-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Lol, I know what you mean! These people are on their last legs. To top it off, the dad comes after supper and say that the boy is staying home for the rest of the week and hands me the money. Stupid me, I didn't count it until he was pulling out of the driveway and he only paid for the 3 days and skimped me on the rest of the weeks pay!!
I called and left a message...he finally calls me back and starts giving me the sob story that they live paycheque to paycheque and shouldn't have to pay for the days that he is off sick...even though it states in the contract that they have to!! Needless to say, he says he's coming on Friday to pay the rest, but we'll see. Definitely putting my ad up again!

5 Little Monkeys
01-22-2014, 06:33 PM
I have this in my contract...

If one payment is missed or late your child will not be able to attend until it is paid in full.
If two payments are missed or late you will be asked to find alternate care for your child.
You do not beg for your paycheque...please do not make me beg for mine.

AmandaKDT
01-22-2014, 07:31 PM
And charge a daily late fee on top it, starting at closing time on the day it is due. The full fees and the late fees must be paid before the child can attend care again.

Busy ECE mommy
01-23-2014, 08:04 AM
My policy states any b/a kids who get sick at school will not be returning to my care that day. I had one child vomit as we walked to school one day, so I marched him into the front office of the school, told them he had vomited, and told them to call Mom to pick up. I certainly wasn't taking him back home with me for the rest of the day, or after school either. I called Mom when we got home and told her he was excluded for the next day as well due to vomiting and a 24 hr exclusion policy.
As for the lack of payment-definitely a late fee per day as well as not able to return to care until all outstanding fees and late fees are paid in full.

mimi
01-23-2014, 08:17 AM
OMG Mom needed to be a mother and pick up her child. Her not picking up sick child and not even calling the school is abandonment in my books. The she lies about why and then they short change you because you obviously don't need the income and you need to help support them.

I would be tempted to terminate, however, if not, then I would give them a warning, charge them a late fee (no care until fees paid in full) and would not ever forget that when they need to, they will lie to you. Such disrespect is appalling.

Sassygirl
01-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Thats unbelieveable! How could someone in good conscience leave their poor sick child at school. I wonder how that poor little one felt? What is the schools policy on this kind of thing if a child is sick and is not picked up? I would think they would have called the other emergency contact. I think I would have called the emergency contact myself when I picked the sick child up from the school.

Mike
01-23-2014, 09:56 AM
The emergency contact is what I would do. All parents will be required to provide an emergency contact and if the parent get can't the child, the emergency contact would be called.

mattsmom
01-23-2014, 02:18 PM
The thing is, when I leave that child at school, he is their responsibility. If that child becomes sick during the day, at school, then it is the school's job to contact the parent or any other emergency contact to come and pick him up, not mine. I am responsible for him until he goes in that school in the morning and after school when I pick him up, not during the day.

Crayola kiddies
01-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Yes we know that .... Now you need to tell the parent that