PDA

View Full Version : Daycare and pets

Mike
01-23-2014, 12:03 PM
As some of you already know, I plan to open a daycare in a few months. I am currently doing final planning and preparation. One thing I'm thinking about is pets. My parents have had dogs and cats their entire life. Myself, I've had 2 cats and 2 dogs. Right now I have no pets, but I'm thinking about getting one, mostly because I know kids love pets.

For those of you with pets, what do you think? Should I get a dog, a cat, or something different like a rabbit or a gerbil? I've had both of them before too and the rabbit loved sitting on anyone's lap and just being pet. Or should I stick to a pet free zone?

torontokids
01-23-2014, 12:10 PM
I personally think you should wait. Not only are you in the midst of finding a place and clients, why add this to your list? I think it is important for the animal that you are able to commit to them. It sounds like things will be all over for the next while. If you get a dog say, you need to train this animal etc all while setting up your daycare. Also, you will again limit yourself in rental properties to people who will rent to someone that a) wants a daycare and b) has pets. Lastly, my dad is a vet so we had millions of animals (people would leave them on our doorstep all the time) and you need to have ample time to see if the animal is good with children because believe me, not all rabbits are nice etc

bright sparks
01-23-2014, 12:16 PM
I think if you don't have pets now then keep it pet free. Generally those with dogs and cats won't have a problem with pets but there are kids out there with allergies or parents who are warie from their own bad experiences. Allergies can also be to saliva, I've had 2 dck's with that type of allergy in which case getting a hypoallergenic dog won't help, also my husband is allergic to dogs even to those who claim that they are hypoallergenic breeds.

If you do get a caged pet such as a rabbit or gerbil, I definitely wouldn't let the kids hold them as they are notorious for nipping at you and it hurts enough for an adult let alone a little one. I used to have guinea pigs and I would get them out for the kids but I held them at all times to prevent nipping or if I had a huge cardboard box saved then I would set up a kind of run so the kids could get up close and interact with them that way.

Mike
01-23-2014, 12:30 PM
I'm pretty much leaning in the direction of just staying pet free for now. Mainly curious how much difference, if any, having pets makes.

bright sparks
01-23-2014, 12:36 PM
My kids are constantly asking for a dog. We had dogs until we moved to Canada and my husband grew up with them. It was when we moved here that he realized he was allergic. We would take the kids into the pet store to see the dogs and he would immediately have a flare up which just further confirmed this. He still wants dogs and says that he would rather the irritation than no dog, but I am the one who just thinks that it will be a reason for some parents not to go with me and I don't want to give them a reason. Likely in a year or two when I am no longer doing daycare, I will surprise everyone one day with a new pup. Until then, you know what want got?! :) lol

AmandaKDT
01-23-2014, 12:37 PM
I love animals, but I am pet free and have no plans to get them any time soon - just one more thing to worry about and take care of. It also means one less limitation in your appeal to potential clients.

Fun&care
01-23-2014, 12:53 PM
If I was in your position I would remain pet free. I think it is generally what parents prefer. I have a dog and have had people tell me after an interview that they just didn't feel comfortable with her so they got care elsewhere ( which is too bad because she is amazing with kids). Most of the time these are people who are not used to pets, the ones who are usually don't have a problem with her.

sunnydays
01-23-2014, 12:58 PM
I agree...stay pet free! Pet-free is usually a selling point for daycares. Even people who have pets at home are sometimes reluctant to put their child in a daycare with a pet they don't know. While it is true that the kids like pets...it's the [I]parents[I] who are choosing the daycare and paying for it ;)

5 Little Monkeys
01-23-2014, 01:24 PM
I would stay away from a pet, at least until you have a home you own. Not sure about where you live but here, pet friendly rentals are few and far between!

I am NOT a pet person. I have enough to clean with 4 dck's, I don't want to add kitty litter, fur removal, carpet cleaning(more often than I already do), dog walking etc to my list lol. I also would not want the risk of an animal and child incident as I would feel extremely guilty if something terrible happened like a bite! Even the most calm animals can be provoked.

I have been considering getting a goldfish....does that count?? haha ;)

superfun
01-23-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm also thinking about getting a fish. But then I think about cleaning the tank, and I change my mind. All of my daycare families have two dogs each, so I already clean dog hair all the time.

5 Little Monkeys
01-23-2014, 01:42 PM
superfun....I change my mind when I think of cleaning the tank too! I remember having fish as a child and I remember the tank being smelly and hard to clean and drain and keeping the fish alive when changing water. However, we had a huge tank and lots of fish and little sharks etc. (at least I think they were little sharks??)

Daisy123
01-23-2014, 03:24 PM
I've had families actually tell me that my super friendly Golden Retriever was a selling point. I do know that other families weren't comfortable with her. Every potential client has things that appeal and don't appeal to them... I don't think that I would add new pet though- those ones I have have already proven themselves kid friendly. My Golden is really just an overgrown stuffie.:) As for the fish? They're my husbands responsibility.:laug h:

Mike
01-23-2014, 05:29 PM
While it is true that the kids like pets...it's the [I]parents[I] who are choosing the daycare and paying for it ;)

Good point. :)

Mike
01-23-2014, 05:31 PM
I have an aquarium. Honestly, ALL of the children LOVE it! Every day they go up to it and look at the fish swimming around! Starting from infants to toddlers, preschool and up! Safe for the children to be around and not a lot of work! :)

I think I'll go that way.

Mike
01-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm not going to bother with a dog or cat, but will get fish or some other small animal they can have fun watching but not play with.

mimi
01-23-2014, 06:22 PM
I agree with the others. I am recently pet free (2 cats) and the house smells better, no cat hair, I didn't dare let the cats around the kids for fear of a scratch or bite and I had lost potential clients due to cat allergy. Parents are quite pleased when I mention I am pet free.
(They went to a good home together and I do miss them though)

mickyc
01-23-2014, 06:54 PM
When I started daycare my house was pet free. We do have outside dogs but they have a dog pen and are not around the children. This past year we ended up getting 2 cats for inside. One thing about my daycare being in my basement and separate from our living space is the cats have somewhere to go if they don't want to be around the kids. They do come down off and on throughout the day and then leave when they have had enough. They are very gentle with the kids and that is something I do not tolerate. If they would bite or scratch they would be gone! I did get soft paws for their claws for the furniture. I haven't had any issues with parents not being happy I have pets.

Secondtimearound
01-24-2014, 06:10 PM
I too say pet free !!! We rescued animals before opening our dayhome and we would rehome them ! We kept Winston Theodore , he's a rescued chihuahua lol thinks he is high class but rescued from a gross farm !!!
I keep him totally away from dayhome children as being rescued I'm not totally able to trust him ! He is a wonderful pet for our family !! And we love him but when the kids are here he is upstairs and if we go upstairs he goes to kennel .
Sometimes during nap he will bark lol and I'm running him out so the kids do not wake up !!!
Pets are great !!! But personally I think easier, safer without them !!
Love you though Winnie !!!

5 Little Monkeys
01-24-2014, 06:34 PM
secondtimearound, that is awesome that you rescued and rehomed animals. Even though I am not an animal person, I respect those that do what you did!

Our theme this month was animals and one of the dc gramma's brought in her cat for the kids to play with. The kids LOVED it, the poor kitty did not LOL. They also have a dog that was rescued and she was going to bring him one day too but her daughter (the dcm) said no, she didn't trust him. They only have one child at home and 2 elderly gramma's so the dog is used to being around quietness and she wasn't sure how he would react. I was glad mom said that!! haha

I think we are going to get a goldfish...I would love to have an aquarium but I know I wouldn't want to clean it and I don't really have the room for a large tank.

Secondtimearound
01-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Thank you !!! My husband not as impressed !! Lol but in his defence he works nights and has come home and been surprised by a new face !!! Lol
We brought a kitty in once to visit the dck and it was traumatic for the kitty and my own 5 yr old who was sure the poor kitty was having a heart attack lol !! Being chased by 3 -2 yr olds screaming "kitty !!!" Might not of been the best for the poor thing !!

sunnydays
01-25-2014, 04:05 PM
I like the fish idea :) I think I would like an aquarium...though right now it sounds like extra work to clean the tank...LOL. Those of you who have fish, do you find the kids want to tap on the tank and bother the fish all the time? Do you have it where they can touch the tank?

Samantha33
01-25-2014, 08:16 PM
I have three dogs. My husband has a service dog (Lab), I have a Goldendoodle, and my son who is still at home has a Basset Hound. My parents don't mind the dogs. They know the quality of care I provide is wonderful and put that above dogs in the house. They are mostly separated. We are downstairs and the dogs are upstairs so it's not a huge issue. For someone who has no dog though it would probably seem intimidating. I've been lucky so far. I think it also depends on the parent and child. Allergies are bigger now than 20 years ago so I imagine it does limit a person somewhat when they have animals.