PDA

View Full Version : Hello from b.c but moving to markham ont

Chiyo
01-24-2014, 12:06 AM
Hello everyone I'm Chiyo. I'm 32 mother of 2 children. A boy who is 3.5 and a daughter who is 2 but act like she's 16 :)

I am moving to markham Ontario for May and looking to open a home daycare with excepting clients June or July.

I will get licenced and have contacted the proper people as I have taken the proper experience to have a daycare.

What I'm asking is some advice on what parent are looking for, what makes one daycare centre stick out over another, and any other advice anyone could give would be great.

I'm a personal trainer and do massage as well but looking to finish my eve in Ontario.

I have my c.p.r and first aid.

Thanks

Chiyo

5 Little Monkeys
01-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Some things I look for in a parent...

*Do they bring their child to the meeting....if not, I wonder why??? lol
*Do they ask questions that a concerned parent would ask or an overprotective one would ask? (I once had a parent question a space between our fence and our garage. It is only like an inch or two and has to be their due to our downspout on the garage. There is a bush in front of it. The parent asked if I thought a child could get threw there...I said no, my yard is small and I would see a child doing that if they even did. IMO, that was overprotective. They asked a few more questions that I thought were more overprotective than just concerned)
*Do they have a back up if I'm sick or take holidays
*Do they plan on this being a long term dc placement if everything works out?
*What are their hours of employment, will it fit into my dc?
*How do they interact with their child while in the meeting (this can be hard to gauge because some parents will put on a show)
*How do they deal with misbehaviours at home, if any yet
*How do we interact? Does it feel right?

Things I look for in a child...

*How do they interact with the other children
*How is their temperament (watch for the way they play with the children and with the toys)
*How do they interact with the parent? with me?
*Do they listen to the parent when it is time to go
*Again, does it feel right?

However, there have been times I have taken on children because I needed the spot filled and wasn't quite sure on the family and have been surprised to see that it worked out great.....and times I thought I chose a great family and I was wrong! Never completely judge a book by it's cover...but it's a good start! :)

Chiyo
01-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Some things I look for in a parent...

*Do they bring their child to the meeting....if not, I wonder why??? lol
*Do they ask questions that a concerned parent would ask or an overprotective one would ask? (I once had a parent question a space between our fence and our garage. It is only like an inch or two and has to be their due to our downspout on the garage. There is a bush in front of it. The parent asked if I thought a child could get threw there...I said no, my yard is small and I would see a child doing that if they even did. IMO, that was overprotective. They asked a few more questions that I thought were more overprotective than just concerned)
*Do they have a back up if I'm sick or take holidays
*Do they plan on this being a long term dc placement if everything works out?
*What are their hours of employment, will it fit into my dc?
*How do they interact with their child while in the meeting (this can be hard to gauge because some parents will put on a show)
*How do they deal with misbehaviours at home, if any yet
*How do we interact? Does it feel right?

Things I look for in a child...

*How do they interact with the other children
*How is their temperament (watch for the way they play with the children and with the toys)
*How do they interact with the parent? with me?
*Do they listen to the parent when it is time to go
*Again, does it feel right?

However, there have been times I have taken on children because I needed the spot filled and wasn't quite sure on the family and have been surprised to see that it worked out great.....and times I thought I chose a great family and I was wrong! Never completely judge a book by it's cover...but it's a good start! :)

Thank you for your advice and info.