PDA

View Full Version : Why don't parents actually read the contract!!

mickyc
01-24-2014, 10:11 AM
I am so frustrated today! I had 2 issues with parents this morning just because they didn't read my contract! At the beginning of the year I updated my contract, sent it home telling all parents to please read it over as there were changes. The one issue didn't even have anything to do with a change, it was a policy in place when they signed on a few months ago. I stood my ground in both instances and I know I have 2 families who aren't very happy with me right now. But good grief people - read your contract you have agreed to all these terms!

anyways, rant over LOL

AmandaKDT
01-24-2014, 10:33 AM
That is why I sit down and read through it with the parents, avoids the whole "I didn't know about that." It is a bit tedious, but I find it worth doing. You could also have it so they must initial each section as they review the contract.

cfred
01-24-2014, 10:49 AM
I don't typically go through the whole contract with parents, but we touch on everything during the interview. I tell them to go home, read it, check references and print it off to be signed here. I, too, have the parents and myself initial each page of the policies/procedures, information package and sign the enrolment contract. Don't forget to ask for their mailing address....so you know where the collection agency or process server can find them in the case of a dispute ;) Upon signing, I always have them assure me verbally that they've read the document, understand it and are fully prepared to commit. The enrolment contract also states that " I __________ have read the policy/procedures agreement, information package and enrolment contract in their entirety. I fully understand that failure to comply with these documents, as outlined, may result in action by (me) including (but not limited to) immediate termination of services. The decision to waive any actions is at the sole discretion of (me)." Something to that affect. I've had a couple parents say that they didn't know something and I just remind them that it's in the contract they signed and initialed. It stops dead there and no-one ever challenges it. I mean really, how can they?

mickyc
01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
this isn't a matter of new parents and going through the interview process, yes I go through it with them at the interview. This is a matter of I changed my policy a bit for the new year and gave it to my families. I am not going to go through it all with people who have been here for months up towards 3 years. I told them ALL there were changes and to make sure and read through it. I said if they have any questions to let me know. Not one question. Like I said the one issue was something that was in the contract right from the beginning. So we'll see how they are come pick up time.

playfelt
01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
I started putting a bubble beside each section and I ask the parent to read and initial each part and then return a copy to me and suggest they make a copy for themselves. That way you know they read and agree with each section.

superfun
01-24-2014, 04:37 PM
I had to send my updated policy to my parents last week. The changes don't take effect until I receive my license. But just like you, I asked them to read it and let me know if there was any questions. I was worried that they didn't read it thoroughly, and after reading this, I'm even more concerned.

On a bit of an unrelated topic, did anyone have any idea why this thread didn't show up when I clicked on the "what's new" tab?

5 Little Monkeys
01-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Each family signs and returns a copy of the contract to me and I give them a signed copy from me for them to keep for their records. This way we each have a contract with all of our signatures on it. I like the initialing of each section though.

However, this was a case of a parent signing the contract stating they read it but clearly they didn't! There's not much we can do about that except be firm with our policies and carry them through. Hopefully they have learned their lesson Mickyc!!