PDA

View Full Version : Mouth Injury...maybe.....

FSD
01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Hi ladies,

So, today I had a little one (22mths), get hurt in the playroom (of course while I was changing a diaper so I didn't see the incident). I didn't even hear a thump, but all of a sudden the little one started crying and came up to me with a bit of blood in his mouth! I clean him up and cuddle with him and then inspect his mouth, thinking he must have bit his lip or tongue. I notice that it's his gums that were bleeding. The bleeding stops within minutes and so does his crying. Anyways, I take him with me to the chair and we cuddle some more and I take a good look at his mouth and I notice his teeth, and I think that one of his front teeth has been pushed back into his gums!! I went to check on some pics I had of him to compare, but every pic I have of him I can't see his front teeth!!! By this time, he's cool, he ate lunch and is now down for a nap. My question is, should I have called his parents to inform them of what I think has happened, or just tell them when they come to pick him up? I've never experienced something like this before. My playroom is carpeted so I'm thinking that he must've fallen on a toy? Thoughts???

giraffe
01-24-2014, 12:16 PM
I think you should call the parents and let them know that he has injured his mouth. I always inform my parents right away of any I jury that involves blood or head/faces. Let them make the decision on what to do.

FSD
01-24-2014, 12:20 PM
OK....so I should call, mention the fall and the blood and that I think his tooth has been pushed in?

Busy ECE mommy
01-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Yes, call and give them a head's up in case they want to book a dr's appt. or dentist for followup.
Parents don't like those surprises at pickup.

FSD
01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks! I will do that now....

FSD
01-24-2014, 12:25 PM
....and of course I can't get a hold of either parent!

5 Little Monkeys
01-24-2014, 12:38 PM
I would call the parent and inform them of what happened. I would also take a pic and send it to the parents. They might be able to tell from the pic if it looks differently and if they can't, it will be up to them as to what to do now.

Taking pictures of any accident is usually a good idea anyways. At one daycare I worked at, we had a few families involved with CFS and we took pictures of anything that happened at daycare and we also took pictures of bumps and bruises they came to daycare with and documented it all. I know that isn't the case here but thought I'd mention it.

Spixie33
01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
I generally wait until pick up to tell the parent what happened and also write it in the child's daily report.

It totally sucks to have a child hurt on your watch. It bothers me whenever it happens and I agonize over it but I have to tell myself that it is also a normal part of being a kid. Parents understand.

I usually don't call the parents at work because I think the parent will feel guilty all day, imagine it worse than it is.

However...BusyECE made a good point that these parents may want a dental appt so they may like the heads up just in case they need to book.

FSD
01-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks ladies. I just spoke to the dad and he wasn't concerned at all, but appreciated the head's up.

I hate it when they get hurt here!! I feel like the parents are going to think that I'm not watching their kids at all, but stuff happens, right? Even under their watch! Luckily I have very understanding parents.

I usually don't call either, but I think in this case I'm glad I did ~ thanks for the advice!

5 Little Monkeys
01-24-2014, 12:53 PM
I don't normally call either unless it's a real emergency. The parents and I do almost all our of communication during the day via text/email. Everyone has a smartphone so emails go straight to their phone. If I do need to call, I try to call during their lunch break.

Glad dad wasn't overly concerned with it! It does suck knowing a child got hurt under our watch but like you said, it happens and I think most parents realize this :)