PDA

View Full Version : Child Dressing Themselves

ttremble88
01-24-2014, 12:36 PM
At what age do parents no longer get involved in what their child chooses to wear? I do not mean silly, mismatching clothes, but I mean no hat or sweater. My oldest daycare child just turned 9 on Monday and he needs to be walked to and from school. The entire walk today he gave me attitude and complained that he was freezing. It was very cold outside, -30 with windchill I believe. But I had my own 2 and 4 year old and another 4 year old that were fine with it. Come to find out that he was just wearing a sweater under his jacket and the hood had been removed off of his jacket. I have messaged my dcp about this before, I do not know what else to do?

AmandaKDT
01-24-2014, 01:49 PM
I have an 8 year old dcg that gives her parents attitude about wearing her outdoor clothing, they let her leave at pick up without even wearing a coat when it is -20 if she whines about it. But for me I don't give the option and she wears full winter wear always when we go outside. I taught 8 and 9 year olds for a few years and many of them will try to pull not dressing properly, but I never let it slide - they are still young children that enjoy active play outside and they need to dress for it.

But it is part of my contract agreement that they have full winter wear, though this girl is always forgetting stuff at school. She definitely seems to have the responsibility put on her to having all the appropriate winter gear in her bag. We always have outdoor playtime after we pick her up off the bus, and if she isn't dressed properly she has to just sit and watch the fun - with a reminder from me of "I guess next time you'll wear your mitts!" I think this has an effect on her, she seems to have gotten the hint.

I would bring it up face to face to the parents, mentioning how he was so cold because he wasn't dressed for the weather and how it affects your ability to run your program properly. I'm sure his teachers at school feel the same frustration of having him come not properly dressed.

I think older dck's are hard in this aspect, they are gaining responsibility for self care, which is a good thing, but they don't always make the best choices.

Lou
01-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Just a sweater underneath? I'm confused, was it long sleeve? What else should he be wearing?

ttremble88
01-24-2014, 02:48 PM
No Lou, he had a t-shirt (short sleeve) underneath his winter jacket. No sweater. I dress all of my other daycare children with a longsleeve shirt, hoodie and then their jacket. It is was -33 this morning. A t-shirt is just not cutting it

5 Little Monkeys
01-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I think at 9 if he just wants to wear a tshirt under his winter jacket than that is up to him and his parents. I wouldn't worry about it. Most winter jackets are warm enough...or at least they should be! Also at 9, he will be more active outside than toddlers so he is likely warm enough. If not, he will learn!

ttremble88
01-24-2014, 04:29 PM
I mentioned it to his mom again today and she said that she would tell her husband to make sure that he is dressed properly.

I would not even mention it, but he was obviously freezing cold and whining about it.

Crayola kiddies
01-24-2014, 07:48 PM
I have a 9 yr old son and it is all out war when we leave the house cause he wears t shirts year round (but so do I) and then he wants to go out with just a hoodie and a wind breaker .... So I have told him that if its minus 10 or colder he has to wear his winter jacket and -9 or warmer and he can wear his hoodie/wind breaker.... Thankfully it has been frigid for most of the winter so its been a non issue.

mattsmom
01-25-2014, 03:38 PM
With me, I don't care how old the child is, they are to be dressed properly for the winter weather. They can give their parents attitude about it all they want, but when they're with me, they will wear it. I always think that it is a reflection of me and the care I give these children. If they are not dressed appropriately in my care, then I am not doing my job properly.

ttremble88
01-25-2014, 03:54 PM
With me, I don't care how old the child is, they are to be dressed properly for the winter weather. They can give their parents attitude about it all they want, but when they're with me, they will wear it. I always think that it is a reflection of me and the care I give these children. If they are not dressed appropriately in my care, then I am not doing my job properly.

Yes, I completely agree. But the problem is, that if the child is not coming with the sweater, I cant enforce him to wear it. I can not do my job properly because the parents are not supplying the correct clothing.

sunnydays
01-25-2014, 04:20 PM
The fact that the child was obviously cold definitely warrants talking to the parents and ensuring that he at least packs an extra sweater that can be put on when he is with you. My 5 year old complains every day about the layers I put on him to go out to school, but for me it is not something I will compromise on. The kids have to play outside at recess unless it is colder than
-25 at my son's school....so they can be out for half an hour in -20....they need to be dressed warmly.

Secondtimearound
01-27-2014, 01:56 PM
This is so annoying !!! At 9 they still need to have a parent making sure they have the proper clothing for the season !!! I drive a dcg to school and at -20 she is getting out of my vehicle without hat or gloves !! I'm continually asking dcm to check that she has gloves and hat and it's so frustrating to send her off like that !!!