PDA

View Full Version : Food and liability if kids get sick

Jenny
01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
What are everyone 'rules' about other families bringing food from home to share with the other DC kids. For example bringing in a cake to share on their son/daughters birthday.
In schools food can only be brought and shared if it is store bought, no home-made.

As well, what about food you make and serve to your DC kids. What if a child got sick.

Technically they could sue you unless you had it covered in your contract.

Does anyone have it covered in their contract, if so, what did you say?

Jenny
01-29-2014, 04:28 PM
i will look into that thanks so so much

5 Little Monkeys
01-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Sue for what?

What do you mean by "get sick"....allergy reaction? food poisoning?

I allow parents to bring in treats. Some have brought store or restaurant bought and others have sent homemade. I have no allergies in my daycare other than milk sensitivities(soon to be one that has a dairy allergy). The one with a sensitivity is allowed a small amount (like in a cupcake for example) and the one with a dairy allergy will be bringing his own food at the parents request and they said they will send treats he can have if the other kids get treats so I would not allow him to eat something that was brought in.

As for my own cooking, I am very careful and anal about cross contamination when cooking so I would hope food poisoning wouldn't happen.

Jenny
01-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Yes, due to contamination not allergies. When speaking to a lawyer friend she asked about it, and said I should make sure that I have a clause in my contract or that my insurance covers it. She said things happen and we can never predict how people will react, that prevention is always better.
I am going to look into my insurance.

AmandaKDT
01-30-2014, 12:05 PM
You could always go another route and have parents provide the food. I know I'm in the minority on this forum for it, but I don't provide any food at all.

But it is an interesting thought, with all the stuff I had to do to get my license nothing specifically about food poisoning came up - other than making sure counters and table tops are sanitized to prevent food borne illness in that regard. I but I would think it is part of the liability insurance coverage.

SLD
02-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Honestly I've never given it a second thought. Food is rarely brought in here but I've never turned it away. I serve store bought and home made. Parents are putting their kids in someone else's care -- they could get sick anywhere including at home from something mom made.

daycaremom9
02-01-2014, 09:31 PM
I don't provide food except for a special treat. I have a boy that may have a possible nut allergy, we're not really sure as his mom is deathly allergic so he's never had nuts before. One of the daycare kids have brought a treat (for herself) that has had nuts. So I've held it back. But she brought a yoghurt covered almond that I didn't originally recognize as a nut. It's like this parent isn't taking it seriously. Her daughter's birthday was this month, luckily she brought in store bought cupcakes. Now I don't feel like I can trust her.