PDA

View Full Version : It may be just because I'm sick of winter...

AmandaKDT
01-31-2014, 02:02 PM
I am seriously considering moving. We live in Winnipeg and it has been *bleeping* cold for so long and it is a downer to think that it will be another few months before the snow is all gone. We have spent SO many days inside because it was impossible to go out - it is a windchill of -32 of worse pretty much everyday here for the last two months.

It would of course be a difficult decision if it actually happened, as all my family is here and we have two kids. But my husband is not from Canada and he isn't too fond of the cold either. I think I just had enough of these cold prairie winters and would like to try something new.

But where to go??? Yesterday I was pondering the idea of moving to BC because of the milder weather. The day before that it was Hawaii!

Any thoughts! Anyone feeling the same as me!!

Secondtimearound
01-31-2014, 02:10 PM
Hi !!! Moved from BC , and it's not snow it's rain !!!! Lol I remember just being so tired of the rain !! Of course that was the lower mainland !! I'm in AB , and I don't mind the snow but I know what you mean !!!! I'm finding with my dck , they act like they never go outside and play !!! I have 3 that will just lay and cry !!! We had shovels and pails and I thought it would be a blast !!! Lol yup not so much !!! My own dd hates coming in !!!

5 Little Monkeys
01-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Im in MB too and this weather is the pits. I get depressed every Jan/Feb due to the weather!! I don't mind a few inside days but it's been weeks!

I have brought snow in to play with in the water table, bring out the mini trampoline, do art daily(sometimes twice), have lots of wii dance parties. It's more exhausting keeping them busy inside than it is to get them dressed and go outside lol.

I keep telling myself spring and summer will be here soon!! If I could move to anywhere it would be Ireland...lol.

AcornsFalling
01-31-2014, 03:40 PM
I am in Victoria and we haven't had any snow this year! It is wonderful! And Victoria gets a lot less rain than the mainland, and warmer temps because we are so far south.
That said it is usually between 0-5 degrees here and you can really get a damp cold chill if you are out. But that is nothing compared to what the East has been dealing with.

Daisy123
01-31-2014, 03:52 PM
We actually got outside today!!!! First time since a week ago last Monday. Ontario winter's not so grand. And they told me that Toronto was better than Cornwall. Ha! Woke up last Sunday to a snow drift on my front porch higher than my waist. Windchill has been nasty here too but when it warms up slightly the dampness sets in. Then there was the ice storm... Yeah, south sounds pretty good right about now.

sunnydays
01-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Acorns...I am from the Victoria area. I've been in Ontario for many years now and usually prefer the winters here because it is sunny and bright with all the snow and I don't miss the rain of the West coast....but this winter is the first winter that I miss Victoria weather!!!!! We have barely been outside all winter it has been sooooooo cold!! However, today was great....nly -5 with the windchill and sunny and just wonderful like spring! When you say 0-5 degrees, I know most people here will laugh at you for saying it is chillly, but I understand. When I lived on the west coast I was always cold...it's so wet and you are always damp. I remember having wet feet all the time..LOL. But I have heard from family who still live there that this winter has been quite nice. Which are of Victoria are you in? I used to live in Saanich :)

daycaremom9
02-01-2014, 01:09 AM
I live on the lower mainland and I so love visiting Victoria, it's so beautiful!

daycaremom9
02-01-2014, 01:14 AM
That's funny, my hubby and I often joke about moving to Hawaii when we retire, like we could afford it!lol. But in all honesty I would dread moving away from the lower mainland, it really is beautiful(when it's not raining, that is).

AmandaKDT
02-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Talked about it with my husband and it may be a possibility in the future. We will have to wait for him to get a permanent position with the federal government (he has been in a continuous stream of term positions for the last couple of years) and maybe then he could get transferred somewhere. We'll just have to wait and see what the future holds. Something to look forward too!

Maybe we'll have to plan a vacation to Victoria and the surrounding area, it sounds so nice and I've never had to opportunity to go there.

playfelt
02-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Make sure he makes it known in his applications that he is willing to relocate - then they pay for part of the move I think. Might not end up where you want to be exactly but change is fun actually - speaking as a military family.

AcornsFalling
02-03-2014, 03:05 PM
I lived in the Lower Mainland for most of my life and Victoria is much less rainy. Sunnydays, I'm in the Gordon Head area. It has been a great winter. Today is just below zero but clear and sunny. One of our coldest days so far.