PDA

View Full Version : Need dcp opinions - hammock in daycare

Marie999
02-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Hi All,
If a parent told you their baby slept in a hammock for naps and asked you to use one with him/her (all equipment provided by the parent). Would you or would you have a problem with it?
This is the hammock:
http://dirtydiaperlaundry.c om/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/kanoe.jpg

It's rated safe for up to 2 years old and hangs from the ceiling but can be put on a stand if someone didn't want to put a hook in the ceiling. It allows a child to bounce and self sooth easily down to sleep.

More info here:
http://www.kanoe.us/14.html

TIA!

ttremble88
02-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Personally, no. I think that something like this will cause a large risk factor for someone getting hurt. Plus, if it is in the same sleep room as the other children, I foresee it causing a lot of problems.

5 Little Monkeys
02-02-2014, 09:34 AM
I would consider it on the stand (my fiance would not want it hanging from the ceiling) but only until the child couldn't climb out of it. I don't want the added risk of a child getting hurt.

Busy ECE mommy
02-02-2014, 09:38 AM
I'd be terrified of the injury potential. No thanks.

Samantha33
02-02-2014, 10:17 AM
On a stand only till 4 or 5 months of age, in a room by itself. I don't take children that young but if I did these would be my criteria.

playfelt
02-02-2014, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't do it because the sides are not high enough for a child able to pull up and we don't start them into care till that age. As in I would assume child had outgrown it by the time they would be starting daycare.

mimi
02-02-2014, 12:09 PM
I am not comfortable with the idea either. I prefer to have the kids in playpens where they are safe.

CrazyEight
02-02-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry, I wouldn't. The little ones I have talk and babble before they fall asleep, and sometimes wake up for a few minutes during naptime, like most kids. Unless they are actually screaming, I leave them and let them put themselves back to sleep. I wouldn't be able to do that if I had a child in this, I'd be too worried that they'd manage to climb out or fall out. Even a baby that could sit up would, I'm guessing, be able to rock it too much and possibly fall out. Never mind a baby that's 12 months or more, who can sit and pull up. I'd be terrified they could pull on one of the corner straps hard enough to tip themselves over-and if they stood up in it? No way! Just too much of a safety/liability issue for me. Kids can get used to sleeping in a crib or playpen even if they never have before, it just takes effort, time, and patience. I'd be wary of taking on a child who sleeps exclusively in something like this at home, because I would imagine it would be much harder to get them to sleep in a playpen if the parents aren't making them do it at home too.

Marie999
02-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Hmmm, good to know what the gut reactions are....thanks for the opinions. My Lo is 6 months and LOVES her hammock and has been such a good sleeper in it....but I figured it would be a problem for daycare as it's not the usual thing people do. My cousin used hers with twins until they were both 2 years old. She just removed the spring around 8 months and hung it very close to the ground, her toddlers eventually learned to climb in and out. They were both great sleepers in it too despite having reflux and other issues from being preemies.
I guess I will start to try a playpen for naps during the day as we prepare for daycare, but I'm not looking forward to it :(....

KingstonMom
02-02-2014, 06:47 PM
I thought the safest place for a baby was on a firm, flat surface such as a crib with no surrounding bedding etc. Ive never seen this before!
For my daycare no, I would not allow it. Seems too problematic imo.

mickyc
02-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Definitely No. I can totally see the other kids trying to push it or trying to get in it. There is the danger of the child falling out as well.

5 Little Monkeys
02-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Just a friendly reminder...playpens are safe but they do have dangers as well. I had a child (2 years old) who somehow pulled herself up and over the playpen and fell out. She was fine but scared and has never done it again. She is now 2.5 and still in the playpen here and still in a crib at home so it wasn't a matter of her being too big/tall for the playpen.

Just don't want playpens to give you a false sense of security either. As with most things and children, anything can happen!! :)

gravy_train
02-03-2014, 11:09 AM
No way! I have seen these online - love the concept but not for my daycare and definitely not with someone else's child in it.

sunnydays
02-03-2014, 11:55 AM
I agree with the others. These look really neat for young babies at home, but I would not be comfortable using one for the daycare. By the time they start daycare at a year old, they can easily sit up and fall out and even if you put it close to the ground with padding underneath, I wouldn't want to have to deal with a 1 year old getting out and roaming around at naptime. I like that the playpen keeps a one year old contained and they cannot get into anything.

kassiemom
02-21-2014, 06:44 AM
what scares me is the lack of airflow. It honestly looks like a high risk factor for SIDS sorry to say. its the same reason they say not to use bumper pads because it restricts airflow and they can breath in their own CO2 and suffocate. I just wouldn't personally take the risk of anything happening with someone else's child in my care.

Polkaroo
03-06-2014, 06:59 AM
I love it. I wish I would have found these when my little ones were small. My husband is from central America and that's what kids sleep in from birth. My son slept in a regular hammock when traveling and he slept so well. BUT as a daycare provider I wouldn't just because it's not my little one.

Montessori-Mom
08-01-2014, 10:52 AM
This would not even be approved for use in Alberta dayhomes. We cant even use a pack and play unless the directions for use indicate it is for sleeping (read the lable of your pack and play as I was surprised to learn most of them have a warning lable that indicates it is not ok for sleeping and not to leave the child unattended)