PDA

View Full Version : Proud parent...bragging :)

bright sparks
02-10-2014, 08:56 AM
My family are all overseas and I obviously don't have colleagues I can share this amazing news with so I thought This and That was a great place to do a little bragging ;)

For those of you who may not know here is a little background, I'll try to be brief. My youngest is 11 and Twice Exceptional. He is Gifted and has an LD. There are no clear guidelines on how to deal with these types of kids and no two are the same so schooling for him is a serious cause of stress for me although I do keep a good handle on not showing it.

Well my son is on the 4th percentile for working memory so a lot of his teaching is similar to what would be used for a deaf child when dealing with basic concepts as his processing is very slow. He is also on the 17th percentile for writing comprehension. So language is his area of LD. His writing is almost illegible but this is a result of his gifted ness not an LD. I think it's quite funny that in the huge majority of gifted children, to have neat handwriting is a complete waste of energy when it can be directed towards their gifted area. LOL For non verbal reasoning and spacial awareness and complex reasoning he is on the 99.7th percentile with an iQ of 140. He is 2 1/2 years advanced in Math and 1 year advanced in Science but receives little to no enrichment in school which is a constant battle I am fighting/working with.

So here comes the brag.....;)

My son got no C's on his report card which is a first, and 6 A's, 3 of which were in language, 2 in English and 1 in French. I very nearly went into shock when I read his report card and am still bouncing off the walls with excitement as this is just amazing for him. His teacher has some similar traits as he does in the way he thinks outside of the norm and it just goes to show that a school is only as good as the teacher your child gets. I have a handwritten letter of gratitude and thanks ready to send in tomorrow and I am just so happy I am close to tears every time I think about this huge achievement. Anyone with a special needs child knows how great it is when their child makes little steps towards progressing but this is more than I could have ever dreamed of.

My daughter is nearly 13 and she did fantastic as well. I always make sure I give them equal enthusiasm and praise but I made sure he knew how exceptionally well he was doing and how hard work and perseverance can really pay off.

Thanks for letting me take the spot light and share this exciting news with you all :) A well needed dose of positive reinforcement for me that all MY hard work advocating for him is paying off!!

5 Little Monkeys
02-10-2014, 08:59 AM
YAYYY!!!!!!!! That is awesome Bright Sparks!! Congrats to both your children and also to you :)

2cuteboys
02-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Congratulations! That is very exciting news!

mimi
02-10-2014, 10:14 AM
Great parenting, an exceptional teacher and a very smart young man creates this amazing achievement. You all have every reason to shout his success from the roof tops. Congratulations!!!!

jammiesandtea
02-10-2014, 10:25 AM
That's awesome!! So happy for you, Bright Sparks! Congratulations to your young man on his hard work. And you deserve to bask in the spotlight of pride in this moment... Great parenting moments are to be celebrated by us all, whenever we witness them. :)

Crayola kiddies
02-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Big high 5 for your son .....keep bouncing bright sparks !!