PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use cots?

Daycare123
02-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Hey everyone!

I have a new child starting and am wondering about naptime set up. I have to be honest the numerous play yards are getting cumbersome. I like to keep all daycare-related items in the daycare and I don't think I can easily fit another play yard - unless I put it in my personal living space :( So I am thinking about switching to cots atleast for the kiddos that are 2 1/2 +

Have any of you given it a go? Do the kids stay in bed?

Thanks so much!

superfun
02-10-2014, 01:24 PM
I have 2 on cots and 1 in a play yard. I have a two year old, and a 20 month old on the cots, and they're both good. They stay on them and sleep fine.

Busy ECE mommy
02-10-2014, 01:32 PM
I use cots as soon as they can jump out of the playpens, so anywhere from 16 months plus. I have no problem with it. It just requires more diligent supervision, as my little ones liked to jump on the cots when I first transitioned them LOL.

Daycare123
02-10-2014, 01:37 PM
I imagine, there is always a transition period where they are adjusting :) I jusy don't feel like jamming 1-2 more bulky play yards into the daycare space-plus they are expensive!

Samantha33
02-10-2014, 01:41 PM
I use cots from about 20 months and up depending on the child. They never get out of pack n play if they are a climber. Kids on cots stay on their cots for the full 2 or 2 1/2 hrs. until I tell them it's time to get up. I'm strict from day one. Do not get off the cot. I never give a consequence. I just say in a stern voice "do not get off the cot". If you need me call me ( I have a camera setup and can see and hear them if they are fooling around. Very rare problems. I use cots that were donated to me when I started up my daycare. They are old. 20 years or so. They are easy to clean. Steel frame and vinyl of some sort.

5 Little Monkeys
02-10-2014, 01:44 PM
I am in the same boat. I have playpens and foam mats. I have 4 playpens(only 3 set up right now) but with my new child I need all 4. (thankfully he is doing half days right now so hasn't needed to nap here yet) I don't have the room for 4 so I would have to put one back into my laundry room and don't really want to do that. The mats on the floor have worked for the kids who used them but I decided to buy a couple cots. We are going down to the States this weekend so I'm hoping to get this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Travel-Bed/4433186

Daycare123
02-10-2014, 02:34 PM
5 little monkeys-those look great! I think I am going to get mine from Sonsuh

Dreamalittledream
02-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Monkeys: Get them! I have the same cots. This is my 2nd year using them. I love that they fold right up (at first I would put each in the bag they came from and hang them; now I've abandoned the cover and bag and simply fold and put in a large tote out of the way). We just travelled with them and used it for my almost 5 year old to sleep on for 2 weeks...worked great. They are very sturdy.
I bought these nap mats (blanket/pillow combo) off of amazon (each has a different one) & they work great with them.
http://www.amazon.com/Lambs-Ivy-Nap-Mat-Train/dp/B005638E9U

Dreamalittledream
02-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Have any of you given it a go? Do the kids stay in bed?!
I held off getting cots for that very reason; I was concerned of them getting up/chatting/not sleeping. But not one has tried. In fact, when one got to 'graduate' to the cot this year it was such a badge of honor!
For me, I do still have 2 pack and plays (well one is a crib we just never took down in my son's bedroom) still being used. But as soon as they turn 2 I let them graduate to cots.
I love that they all get such joy out of getting their own cot and setting it up..then have such joy running and jumping on it to lay down at nap time. I have never seen such happy nappers as my group:)

Daycare123
02-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Dreamalittledream- I think I might get these cots, I love that they are foldable!!! Also I love hearing about your cot-loving-kiddies, very encouraging!

5 Little Monkeys
02-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Awesome, glad to know that they work well!! Do the children get them ready themselves? Right now, the one who uses a mat gets it out herself and it's so funny because she is a mover when she is getting to sleep but somehow never moves off the mat!! I don't think she will fall off the cot but I'll be watching on the monitor to see how she does. I have a spot opening in 2 weeks so if a young one starts my almost 2 year old will have to graduate to a cot as well.

I love playpens but I hate the amount of room they take up!

Dreamalittledream
02-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Monkeys: Yes, for sure they go and get them out of the big Rubbermaid tote they are stored in and set them up themselves. They got really frustrated with the cover that comes to put on top as well, so I don't even use the cover...just have them put their blankets right on the canvas cot.
It was one last shin bang on a pack n play in my bedroom that put me over the edge...haha...I immediately ordered those cots and so happy I did.