PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to open a day home but have alot of questions

kylamarie
02-11-2014, 03:13 PM
so I am wanting to open my own day home but I have a few questions

-what kind of certificates do I need?
-do I need to have children to open a dayhome?
-about how much does it cost to start one up? considering ill need to buy toys, suitable furniture, plastic cups, ect
-how many children could I care for?
-how much should I charge?
-can I have a small dog or cat?

sorry for all the questions just thought here would be a good place to ask them

Judy Trickett
02-11-2014, 03:38 PM
What province are you in?

5 Little Monkeys
02-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Knowing what Province you are in will help answer some of your questions. I am in MB and am a private home daycare so my answers are based on that...

Certificates aren't needed but some parents like to know that you have a criminal record and child abuse check and CPR/First Aid. Being in MB, I can only have 4 children. I have no children of my own so yes, you can have a daycare without your own children. How many children you can care for will depend where you live. I would suggest filling 1-2 less than you're allowed first and than adding children if you want and think you can handle it. The fee you charge will also depend where you live. In my area it's between $25 and $35/day usually. Pick a fee that will allow you to make a living and still be competitive with other hdc's in the area. Animals are allowed here but make sure that the parents know what you have and how much they will be around the children. The cost to start up will vary. I bought a lot of things used from the local classifieds and fb swap and shop pages and yard sales.