PDA

View Full Version : OY! Really?

FunnyFarm
02-12-2014, 07:05 AM
You know when you get those little red flags before you even meet people? Yeah, I got that with a family already. It makes me laugh really. A potential client contacts me inquiring about care for their child. Fine, I respond in email that it is a possibility and please call to set up a time. I get a response, "we want to come over today at xxx time". :blink: This is during business hours people! um, NO! I respond no, please call. after a talk they seem ok, set up an interview and then, after I send an email confirming the date and time, she argues that it was not the day we agreed on!!! Can I back out of the interview now?:p LOL.... needless to say, it may be a very quick one. As much as I need another kiddie in this house, some are just not worth it! I really can't help but laugh about some people. I'm quickly learning to stand my ground. You will not push me! :D

MonkeyPrincess
02-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Ugh! I don't know about you but if that happened to me I would get bad vibes.... Not sure that I would want to continue after that....but hey I guess everyone needs a chance.

FunnyFarm
02-12-2014, 07:17 AM
oh, and the child has anxiety issues to boot! seriously questioning if I want to keep going down this road....:no:

Sassygirl
02-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Think that you need to go with your gut on this one and its already giving you your answer.

Cancel the interview. This family is going to cause you nothing but problems IMO.

JennJubie
02-12-2014, 07:43 AM
As Sassygirl said - go with your gut! You have instincts for a reason.

When I was brand new I had a family book an interview with me, and then call me 20 min after they were supposed to be here saying they forgot, and they were really sorry, could they rebook? So I was nice and rebooked. They were 30 minutes late for the second interview, and when we got to talking about personal days and what happens when I need them, the Mom says to me "Well that won't work for us. You can't do this stuff on the week ends?" And I said "Nice to meet you".

mimi
02-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I'm getting a bad vibe here. They sound really pushing and seem to be the kind of people that tell/demand and not ask. I would cancel as well.

Dreamalittledream
02-12-2014, 08:06 AM
I have to say I have this one daycare family; Mom's inquiries were short, not rude but to the point. When she came for interview she was very cold, not many questions again...really quick interview. I was sure that I was just one of many tours she had made and that I would never hear from this lady again. Well, she emailed me the next day saying how happy she was to have found me, brought back a signed contract the following week as promised and for the past 2 years this has been the most generous and reliable family I have (with a sweet sweet boy as well). However, sounds a like in your case child's anxiety issues don't fall far from the tree. It's a tough decision, for sure. The beauty of our business is that it's ours. If it's just not working out we can decide to terminate:)

ttremble88
02-12-2014, 08:18 AM
I have had something similar happen. We talked a bit via emails and then got onto the phone. I just got a weird vibe. Lots of strange questions and weird comments. A lots of demands. I set up an interview and after a day or two, I could just not get the 'strange' feeling to leave me. I followed my gut and cancelled the interview. Ended up filling the spot the same week with a really sweet family.

Judy Trickett
02-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Well, I am gonna give you my famous line. Ready for it?

.................... ............NEXT!

5 Little Monkeys
02-12-2014, 08:42 AM
If you're really not feeling good about the interview than I would just cancel.

However, I have had parents who are like dreamalittledream's. They are very to the point when it comes to emails and texts but fantastic in person. Some people just don't communicate well via email/text.

I am sorta like that when I am making an appointment too. I have xxx time on this day to meet, would that work for you? Sometimes I don't realize how pushy that probably sounds haha

Busy ECE mommy
02-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Trust your instincts. I had a family come late for the first interview and then late again for the 2nd interview where I review my contract. Both times there was no phone call to let me know they were running behind. I took them on as clients, and to this day they are my biggest headache for dropping off as I'm headed down the street for my school dropoff, and arrive on the stroke of closing time, and then staying another 10mins to hear about the child's day. Lesson learned. If the red flags are there now, truly consider what it may bring in the future.

Judy Trickett
02-12-2014, 09:10 AM
However, I have had parents who are like dreamalittledream's. They are very to the point when it comes to emails and texts but fantastic in person. Some people just don't communicate well via email/text.

I am sorta like that when I am making an appointment too. I have xxx time on this day to meet, would that work for you? Sometimes I don't realize how pushy that probably sounds haha

VERY true! I also try to consider this when communicating via text as opposed to orally because I, too, (surprise, surprise!) come off as much harsher in the written word than I do in person. :unsure:

Dreamalittledream
02-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Well, I am gonna give you my famous line. Ready for it?

.................... ............NEXT!. Judy...haven't seen you on in awhile. You make me smile:)

FunnyFarm
02-12-2014, 09:55 AM
You're awesome Judy! I agree, but I will actually go through with the interview to give them the benefit of the doubt. Who knows... Thankfully I have two interviews in a row that morn, so it could be interesting!

5 Little Monkeys
02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
VERY true! I also try to consider this when communicating via text as opposed to orally because I, too, (surprise, surprise!) come off as much harsher in the written word than I do in person. :unsure:

Judy, I'm not gonna lie....I creeped your fb page yesterday and read a few of your blogs and thought "whoa, this lady is too harsh and jaded for me" LOL I'm sure you are a very nice person though and I even agreed with some of what you said :) I can be very sarcastic and I will admit, judgmental at times but thankfully my BFF and my fiance don't mind when I vent my thoughts to them LOL. Mickyc gets to hear a few of my rants as well haha.