PDA

View Full Version : How much notice do you require

mickyc
02-20-2014, 10:53 AM
I was thinking of changing the amount of notice a family is required to give me. Right now I ask for 2 weeks notice if they are leaving. I just find it not long enough. As soon as a family gives notice it is a mad rush to try and fill the spot as I can't afford to keep the spot open. I think most around my area ask for 2 weeks as well.

How much notice do you require that a family give you when leaving your daycare?

bright sparks
02-20-2014, 11:05 AM
2 weeks notice is my norm but a couple of years ago I changed my policy to 4 weeks for families with siblings in my care. I need that extra time to both try and fill the spots but also budget and prepare for the financial loss of 2 spots coming available at the same time. It has happened a number of times and stings to lose that much income so the extra two weeks just gives me a little more breathing space.

nschildcare
02-20-2014, 11:05 AM
3 weeks. I will give 3 weeks also. I haven't had a parent question it.

I am thinking of switching to 4 weeks, though, and have seen a few places require that, as well.

Busy ECE mommy
02-20-2014, 11:18 AM
I require the parents to give me 4 weeks notice if they are leaving. I give parents a two week notice if I am terminating them. No one has questioned my policies yet.

jammiesandtea
02-20-2014, 11:56 AM
I used to do the standard 2 weeks, but I have switched to 4 weeks notice. This way, their 2 week deposit covers their LAST 2 weeks, provided they give the 4 weeks notice and pay for the first 2 weeks of it.

I hated the way it was before, where parents could just show up on payday and give their notice rather than any money on that day. No time to juggle the budget if necessary. I like a bit more time to plan and prepare.

torontokids
02-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Same as jammiesandtea

mickyc
02-20-2014, 01:28 PM
So when you ask for your deposit you hold onto it for their last 2 weeks? Right now I apply my $150 deposit towards the first 2 weeks of pay.

So when you get a family to start they give you 4 weeks of pay - 2 for the first 2 weeks and 2 for the last 2 weeks? Do you have issues with parents being able to pay that much up front?

torontokids
02-20-2014, 01:34 PM
They give me their deposit when they sign on (could be 1-2 mos before care starts) and then they pay me 2 weeks when they start care. Always reserve this deposit and then you are covered if they leave. I had one family only give me 2 wks notice because a spot opened in her employer's daycare. They had to pay me for the month (paid 2 wks and then their deposit).

mickyc
02-20-2014, 01:39 PM
ok excellent. Thanks everyone. I rarely have a spot open months beforehand so usually people just pay for their first 2 weeks and then start. But I will be changing it to incorporate 4 weeks notice and a deposit to be used towards the last week of care.

Thanks!!!

5 Little Monkeys
02-20-2014, 01:46 PM
I used to do 2 weeks as well but found it's not enough time. I just recently switched it to 4 weeks and I ask for a one week deposit to be used towards the last week of care. I know for myself that I would never hold onto their deposit until they left(that could be 3-4 years in some cases lol) so I find charging one week works better for me financially.

mamaof4
02-20-2014, 03:09 PM
When my kids were in day care- we were required to give them 4 weeks. I think that is standard.

Judy Trickett
02-24-2014, 08:36 AM
I do four weeks of notice. But, I also take the deposit and use it at the onset of care. Here is my reasoning........one , as you said, that deposit is usually well gone and spent by the time any child is on their last weeks of care a year or two later. And, two, the ONLY reason I would not give four weeks notice to a parent (as I ask them to do for me) is because I want them terminated and GONE. And if I want them gone today (and it has to have been pretty bad, in some way, for me to want an immediate termination) I don't want them hanging around or making a stink over two weeks of fees. This way there is no money left on the table and they just go away quietly.

Now, I have never been screwed over by a parent not giving adequate notice. But, if they DID just up and leave I WOULD take them to small claims for four weeks fees.