momofnerds
02-24-2014, 01:28 PM
I have some questions.

Lee-Bee
02-24-2014, 01:33 PM
I have my BEd in primary/Junior level.

AmandaKDT
02-24-2014, 01:58 PM
I have a BEd too, for kindergarten to grade 8. What are you wondering?

momofnerds
02-24-2014, 02:18 PM
ok, my dd is going into grade 11 and has always wanted to be a teacher. Well we need to choose her courses for grade 11 and we are kinda stuck as to what would help her get into the university.

you see, its grade 11 and grade 12 gpa that will get you into the university (of windsor) and with a gpa of 70%. Well my dd is an honor student (always has been) but the university site isn't helping me with what exactly are they looking for. She can take alot of dumb classes to get a high gpa but that would be pointless kwim.

she wants to be a primary teacher, but to be able to teach french. So she is taking french. Should she take biology, chem or physics, or there is now sociology or what. And the school guidence counclor said to me "she should take what she likes" ya, well that would be the whole art department lol!

I hate that they have now changed all this university and college stuff, and to make matters worse, my other dd wants to be a highschool teacher--she thinks she's going to save every kid out there lol!

2cuteboys
02-24-2014, 02:28 PM
If she's thinking primary, she should take a variety of courses to cover all of the areas covered in the curriculum. Everything from art to science and math, to social and English (and French), and PE. Though she doesn't necessarily need the highest level available - why take AP chem and calculus to teach fifth graders? Primary ed students have a generalized degree, so their university courses will reflect the same, with child development and ed specific courses as well.

Your secondary dd should take the highest level of courses she can, but her degree will be specialized so she'll choose a major and a minor and can choose her high school courses to reflect that. So if she wants to teach science and math she should take the highest level of those courses, but may not have a need for art, or vice versa.

I'd suggest taking the upper level English classes for both though. They'll need to write papers regardless.

AmandaKDT
02-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Focus on Math and Science, as well as French. Also, when she is in university have her focus on these areas as well. I wish someone had given me this advice when I was getting my degree. These areas are also what principals are looking for their teachers to be skilled in. For sure she can take a couple of fun classes, but if she wants to have an appealing transcript when she is looking for a job then Math, French and Science is the way to go. So in high school she should be taking courses that will make her eligible for university level courses in biology, pre-calculus, etc.

Even if she is going to be a kindergarten teacher, the market is so flooded with new teachers that she is going to need to do what she can to stand out.

momofnerds
02-24-2014, 02:35 PM
ok, well she's taking math (its university math at a college level) and she is taking biology now, and chemistry in grade 12. The school doesn't help much kwim, but thats like alot of schools. She can always fall back on dance too as she already has 13 yrs of it. I hate that we have to look so far in advance for these things.

nschildcare
02-24-2014, 03:06 PM
I don't have my BEd but had wanted to teach. Still do. But with a BA in Soci.... I couldn't afford to take my chances on getting a teaching job after 2 years tuition of an education program (in Nova Scotia).

If I had to do it all over again, I would stick with sciences and math. French is a HUGE bonus. Even if she doesn't end up doing her BEd, these disciplines will give her more options, as far as university programs. You can do an arts degree with pretty much any background but an arts degree is not an 'in-demand' teachable.

Also, get some experience with school-aged kids. Volunteer at local schools, tutoring, etc.

momofnerds
02-24-2014, 04:24 PM
what exactly do they classify sciences because I know it can mean so many things. Does working in my daycare work as experience lol!

nschildcare
02-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Is she in high school still? Or uni?

Sciences: bio, chem, physics I would think that if she decided not to get into teaching, that would offer her more opportunity than an arts degree. Just my experience, anyways. Advice I'm giving my teen (who also wants to teach). And all just my own opinion. I just *finally* graduated 2 years ago with my BA and math, science and french were the biggies that they were looking for here in NS. My soci (for primary level, which I wanted) was low on the priority list so I never went on.

If she has a solid french background that's a huge bonus.

And here, you complete a BA and then apply to your BEd, which is 2 years, compared to ON of 10 months (I think, last time I checked).

When I was checking for requirements, daycare wasn't considered the best volunteer experience as it isn't the age group she would be working with. They wanted something in the schools. I taught yoga at lunchtimes. If she has dance experience, they would probably love to have her do an afterschool program or something. That would look fantastic on her application.

nschildcare
02-24-2014, 04:54 PM
As another idea: she should contact the university's dept of education and ask them directly. What are they looking for in applicants? That would give her more info than I could :)

Lee-Bee
02-24-2014, 07:43 PM
As many others have said Primary-Junior does not require a specialization like high school level. Here in Ontario the focus remains Math and Language in the school boards so having courses in those could be helpful.

What program is she trying to get into most teaching programs require a university degree before entering a teaching degree. If this is the case then she needs to think about what degree she plans to take. I took Psychology which is quite helpful in teaching elementary school. But, a degree in Art or anything can get you into the teaching program. I did find most students in my program came with random degrees and many quite very quickly because their degree was not related to teaching, they had no experience with children but rather had a random degree and no job lined up and many people suggested becoming a teacher to get their summer's off. They soon realized that yes the summers are off but the other 10months of the year are hard work and quit before finishing their degree.

If she is on a concurrent education program then she may need to have certain courses to aid in that.

I would choose a course that is of interest (higher grades) but is not a complete fluff course and something that can be built upon later (general math or language). In Ontario there are AQ courses (additional qualification) courses teacher take through the university's once you are a teacher that help teachers broaden their skills and become more 'hirable'. She can use those AQ courses to expand her 'arts' interests and it will help her move up in the pay scale and be attractive to certain principals. But, it's really a crap shoot...some principals want the artsy teachers some want strong math and language some what special needs etc. It's hard to know which basket to put your eggs into.

momofnerds
02-24-2014, 08:15 PM
thanks, I knew you guys would help out. Way better than the guidence counsler at school. Who the heck tells kids to take whatever you want. She also says that dd should take co op, but we live in the country where there are no busses. As for volunteer works, my dd is involved in girl guides, she's a lifeguard this summer, she makes baby hats for a organization and who knows what else she does.

gravy_train
02-25-2014, 08:46 AM
In addition to the courses mentioned above, it is very important that she start volunteering in childcare/teaching environments now! I have a BA with a GPA which was the equivalent of an A. I received a scholarship to do my MA but did not get into teacher's college. As a single mother who had three jobs while going to school, I had no time to work if I wasn't getting paid for it.
Primary education is very competitive so anything she can do to increase her chances is essential.