PDA

View Full Version : Throw Up Bros

ttremble88
03-03-2014, 11:10 AM
I have a set of brothers (4&6) that have not been exposed to a wide variety of healthy foods. They are told by their parents that they must eat whatever I give them without complaints, because what I serve them is healthy and good for them.

And they listen. They never complain and eat what they are given. Sometimes it takes them MUCH to long. Sometimes they sit and look at their plate with a frown. But way to often, they end up throwing up their lunch.

The thing is, they will eat things in order of familiar (best) to unfamiliar (worst). So after they finished most of their meal, they will try the 'new' food, get grossed out and as a result, throw up the entire lunch.

When I say 'new' food, I am not referring to strange and exotic foods! The last three incidents happened with: pears, grape tomatos and today, with tortillas with peanut butter.

I enjoy the fact that they are trying new things, but I am really tired of having to clean up thrown up lunches.

Any suggestions?

5 Little Monkeys
03-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Are they throwing up because they don't like it or is it a texture thing? If it's a texture thing than I'm not sure what you can do for it. To this day there are still foods/textures that will make me gag. It's not pleasant when it happens, especially in restaurants!!

If they are doing it because they don't like it and think this will allow them to not have to finish than I would make sure they know this is unacceptable and when it's all cleaned up they would have to try one more bite. (of fresh food!! lol)

ttremble88
03-03-2014, 11:40 AM
I am not to sure. I want to say it is a texture thing, but today, for example, he finished his full lunch and was down to literally, he last bite. Chewed it. Swallowed it. Threw it all up. I think a lot of it has to do with psychology.

Fun&care
03-03-2014, 12:15 PM
I can't imagine having to clean up throw up on a regular basis...that really sucks for you. I do have a daughter who is kinda picky, not too bad but when she doesn't like something she will just chew on it and keep it in her cheeks like a squirrel. She will keep it in so long that I have to force her to spit it out. She just can't swallow it if she doesn't like it. I don't think there is much we can do. I continue to serve healthy food in the hopes that with repeated exposure she will get over it. Which does work I think. But puking I would find very difficult to deal with.

ttremble88
03-03-2014, 12:27 PM
I, too, just keep serving it. However, if I notice that a number of children are not fond of a particular item, I will take it off of my menu for a bit. But peanut butter?! What kid does not like PB? And he finished the whole thing without a complaint, until the last bite was swallowed, and then all over my table

DCMG
03-03-2014, 12:59 PM
I would probably speak with the parent's again and suggest that they send meals for the boys...this is one of the reasons that I have my families send meals from home (among other reasons). I would also give a time limit spent at the table for lunch, I am going to assume with their ages that they are in school so this wouldn't be any different than when they are in school. I think puke is my least favorite thing to deal with!

ttremble88
03-03-2014, 01:06 PM
My main thrower upper is not yet in school and will be starting in Sept. I have talked to his mom and we have agreed to slowly shorten his eating period, for the reason that in school, he is not going to be nearly done his lunch.

torontokids
03-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Are they told they also had to finish everything or just try it? Maybe these guys are just full if it is happening their last bite. Try feeding them less and see what happens. Give them very little of the stuff they like and a taste of the stuff they don't. Once they try the new stuff they can have seconds of the stuff they like. My daughters are also barfers. They had acid reflux as babies and it seems to be linked with this. If they eat too much at a time (big bites) or eat too much they throw up.

Daisy123
03-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Picky eaters... not fun. I'd try giving them only the new thing first. Not a lot the first time, maybe just a couple of bites. Then give them what they are familiar with. Gradually increase the serving size/ give 2 items at a time etc. Then they aren't full of other stuff if the gagging starts. :blink:

ttremble88
03-03-2014, 01:34 PM
I do not think it is because he is full, as 1/2 after lunch, he is constantly asking for snacks. And then shortly after snack, it is home time and the first thing that he says to his father at the door is "Dad, when I go home can I have a snack".

My only rule is that you need to try a bit of everything on your plate. But he tries to eat everything because he mom tells him to. On a side note, I do not give them much, I give them less then I do my 2 year old.

5 Little Monkeys
03-03-2014, 01:41 PM
side note....don't you hate it when the kids ask their parents for a drink or snack as soon as they get in the door?? I feel like it makes me look like I'm starving them LOL. They all leave within 15-45 minutes after our last snack tho so I KNOW they aren't hungry or thirsty!!

Secondtimearound
03-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Yes !!!! I had a dcm who sent junkie snacks because dcg didn't like my healthy ones , I explained how it wasn't food I wanted in my house and dcm says well she has to eat !!
I've started serving my lunches and snacks and if they eat they eat . I do the same with my own , I usually tell dcp they didn't eat much , to give them a heads up but I am feeding interesting nutritious meals so I try not to let it get to me if they don't eat .
It's weird to me they eat then throw up ! I am not sure I would be so nice ! I think I would insist they brought their own food !!! I can't imagine dealing with that daily x 2 !!!!

5 Little Monkeys
03-03-2014, 02:31 PM
I have started coming upstairs with the last couple kids and I know the reason they are asking is because they love to get a drink from my water cooler up here...but still LOL

ttremble88
03-03-2014, 03:48 PM
side note....don't you hate it when the kids ask their parents for a drink or snack as soon as they get in the door?? I feel like it makes me look like I'm starving them LOL. They all leave within 15-45 minutes after our last snack tho so I KNOW they aren't hungry or thirsty!!

OMG! Yes! He does it all of the time. It has come to the point that the father and I will silently mouth the words to one another while the dcb days them. As it is THAT predictable. They say that he will eat them out of house and home, but I guess that is only the case with junk food and foods that he actually likes.

ttremble88
03-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Yes !!!! I had a dcm who sent junkie snacks because dcg didn't like my healthy ones , I explained how it wasn't food I wanted in my house and dcm says well she has to eat !!
I've started serving my lunches and snacks and if they eat they eat . I do the same with my own , I usually tell dcp they didn't eat much , to give them a heads up but I am feeding interesting nutritious meals so I try not to let it get to me if they don't eat .
It's weird to me they eat then throw up ! I am not sure I would be so nice ! I think I would insist they brought their own food !!! I can't imagine dealing with that daily x 2 !!!!

Luckily, they don't throw up every meal, so I DO get breaks during the week. However, I think that the older one is more picky then the younger one, so it will be interesting to see what happens come the summer when I have him for more lunches. Joyous!

bright sparks
03-03-2014, 05:18 PM
As this isn't a normal situation I wouldn't treat their eating style/habits as normal either. They could very well be full and then be hungry again 30 minutes later. Perhaps they have a sensitive stomach which causes the vomiting after too much food but they still digest at the same rate and if they have only eaten a little bit then of course that would be through their system quicker than others and they will be hungry again sooner. Some people can only cope with eating very small amounts but more frequently. I wouldn't worry to much on the why it happens and concentrate just on finding a solution but don't have an expectation of them that is comparative to any of your other children regardless of age. The goal is to stop the vomiting and if they complain they are hungry shortly after a meal then you need to tell them to stop asking and that when it is snack time they will get more food. if you absolutely must then just give them half a piece of fruit that they can eat easily without disrupting the group or current activity. They are 4 and 6 and need to be told and they will have to learn that this is how things work in your house. Very very slowly introduce an extra bite of food after you have had a 2-4 week period of no vomiting and see how this works. Also tell the 6 year old for sure that if he feels sick to run to the toilet!