PDA

View Full Version : September Plans postponed 12 months

bright sparks
03-04-2014, 08:44 AM
So, I need to kind of empty my brain with you lovely ladies so I don't explode. I can only really discuss this with hubby and my parents but have to keep it hush from dcfamilies right now and judgmental friends ;) Sorry if I put you to sleep lol, those who are familiar with me know I can be long winded ;)

I was accepted into a college program for September and have just decided this past weekend to postpone it till next September instead. From other posts some of you may have realized that my time as a daycare provider has come to an end for a while now but obviously a job is a job and a career change takes lots of time to think and planning. I don't dislike the job as a whole, but simply need to focus on me moving forward not just being a full time caregiver to my own children, dckids and their parents, and oh yes, the hubby. There is nothing left for me and its clear as day that I am neglecting myself and its not that I don't know how, hey I can totally dish out the "how to" advice, just terrible at implementing my own self care. Its just time for me to move on to the next chapter of my life, it has been for a good while, and that's not a bad thing, in fact it is a great thing. I am both very excited and terrified all at the same time lol.

I have postponed my plans a year after much thought and lots of pen to paper and lip flapping amongst myself, hubby and parents. I need to have a substantial emergency fund available if the worst should happen while living for two years on 1 wage. When buying my current place 18months ago, we jumped up a few rungs on the property ladder and had to put every penny we had into our deposit. It was well worth it, but omg if we get into a tight spot I'm not sure my parents are going to be to pleased with the loan I'll need to ask them for lol.

I know I've made the right decision although initially I was sad that I would have to postpone for a year but then when I look at the budget on paper it is like day and night. I don't qualify for ANY student loans or financial assistance unless I qualify for scholarships which I intend to investigate, but I can not afford to go to the banks and get a student line of credit for a 2 year diploma when I still have every intention of doing a degree in the future. I don't want to be paying student debt for the next 10-15 years, holy moly!! I am even excited about having my daycare room turn into a library for my ever growing book collection reaching close to 500 covers now....this extra year of work will also mean I can buy furniture for the room prior to closing.

The course is to be a law clerk so I can typically still work M-F and be home in the evenings for my kids, which was a huge factor in choosing a course, as my hubby works long days, typically 12-15 hours a day, and I will need to be home at dinner time. I can also transfer credits to a degree program and enter in the 3rd year. Its good to have options. I am hoping to get into some kind of human rights law office...that would be amazing to advocate, or also family law.

Anyways....thats pretty much whats playing on loop in my head at this time, oh that and pancakes......HAPPY PANCAKE DAY :woot:

5 Little Monkeys
03-04-2014, 09:57 AM
haha Happy Pancakes Day to you as well!!

It sounds like you have thought about all the different choices you have and sounds like you chose a great plan!! I wish you all the best and hope this next year is a fantastic ending to this chapter of your life. Good luck on your next chapter :)

momofnerds
03-04-2014, 10:08 AM
that sounds like a sound plan. I will say that I think you need to investigate the outcome of the program a bit more. I know some law clerks who work long hours and some weekends, and I know some will say that the hours are great and all but you will be the bottom of the pit so it will take some time till you get what you want.

bright sparks
03-04-2014, 10:36 AM
that sounds like a sound plan. I will say that I think you need to investigate the outcome of the program a bit more. I know some law clerks who work long hours and some weekends, and I know some will say that the hours are great and all but you will be the bottom of the pit so it will take some time till you get what you want.

Believe me, I have done extensive research and the general hours are M-F with occasional Saturdays, sometimes even on a rotational basis depending on the size of the company. I have visited 3 schools, spoken with academic advisors, been to the employment help centre to do career research, been on online forums and have look in great length at job sites not only at vacancies but also statistics and job prospects for the future. I have been very honest with myself that this isnt something to enter into lightly and I want to make a career change, not just get a job. Thats why its worth being out of work for a couple of years if it means getting a good job that I can grow and progress in. There are so many different work environments for Law clerks too so I may very well have to narrow down where I am willing to work based on the employers needs. Courthouses for example do not do any late evenings, but depending on the place some Saturday mornings are mandatory as part of the job position. Law firms more than likely will require some late evenings though for sure. I am not entirely closed to the idea of some late nights and occasional Saturdays as my kids are older and able to take care of dinner etc but I wouldn't take a job where it was multiple times a week and an absolute requirement or like retail for example where there will be regular long days over the weekends more than regular weekday office hour type shifts. Administrative work is still primarily Mon-Fri so from what I have seen there will be lots of choice, and obviously as a new graduate I'm going to get all the bad shifts and jobs initially. There are even a number of positions that state flexibility to work from home a day or two a week once an employee has demonstrated effectiveness and efficiency to work independently without supervision. There are lots of options which is appealing. It may be that after some time a position comes up which is in an area that I really want to work in but with less than ideal hours and it will just be a matter of figuring out what is more important to me at that stage. That's also the beauty of my kids being older too and not requiring childcare. I am clear on what I want and where I am willing to bend and I think it is key to be flexible at the same time as knowing what my needs are so I can still fulfill my role as a mother and wife adequately, balance is key. That's the same in any job though but there really aren't to many law clerk positions requiring work outside M-F and those that do will make that known, or if not I certainly will be thorough when accepting a job and making clear where I am flexible and where I am not to the employer.

momofnerds
03-04-2014, 01:20 PM
I didn't realize your kids are older, its does make it easier unless your like my kids and want to join every single thing at school!

bright sparks
03-04-2014, 01:36 PM
My kids school cut most after school activities during the striking last year and also because it is the French immersion school logistically it just isn't possible for school activities after hours because kids are bussed as far as 30km so it just doesn't work.....this just reminded me that my daughter has gymnastics try outs after school though and I totally forgot about it.....gonna have to load the kids up and get to school for pick up.....thumbs down :(

Secondtimearound
03-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Ok , all my mind keeps going over is pancake day ??? Why did I not know about this ? Lol jk !!! Wow !!very impressed !! I love it when direction becomes clear and it seems like you are def prepared for all the changes that will be occurring in your life !!!!
Yay for you !!!!

mimi
03-04-2014, 04:19 PM
It looks like you have planned well for your career change. It is exciting to go back to school and learn something new that you are interested in. How about becoming a paralegal? Would that interest you?