PDA

View Full Version : My fault ?

Secondtimearound
03-04-2014, 12:43 PM
So this winter has been a long , cold and sick experience for one of my dcm with twins. Seems like we are constantly 'discussing' how each of us gauges her children's colds.
I am fully aware colds happen , I have been dealing with the coughing , wheezing and general malaise of dck .
What I am getting really tired of is being blamed for it !! Almost every pick up there is a comment made , I know you are all familiar with them !!!!
"They are always sick here ," how many other children are sick " (was none but I'm sure they will be ) "no one is sick at our house " !!!
Today I could feel , the tension ! I am smiling at her thinking , drat !! No one waiting for a spot !!!!!
I'm not sure if I should just address the situation ? I would like to keep the dck , they have just turned 2 , and it's hard to fill the days I work .
So reality is I keep smiling !!!!!
Today we are watching a movie ( not the norm ) as the twins are really not feeling good and have spent the entire morning crying and whining .
She has my contract , but amazingly they are perfectly healthy at home !!!
So I needed to vent !!!!!!

bright sparks
03-04-2014, 12:52 PM
I would definitly address it if it is an ongoing thing. She needs to stop making this snidey comments and come out with it and then move on. This cold and flu season has been particularly bad and it is not uncommon for children to be ill with a cold all year sometimes. It sucks that the kids feel crumby but its reality and blame is not helpful and really unless you purposely infect someone, which really who does, then it is nobodies fault that her children are sick, it just simply is what it is. If she says anything again I would take that opportunity to just say that it is what it is and its not nice to see any of the dckids ill but that you are feeding the healthy fruits and vegs in the hope to knock this cold out and before soon spring and summer will be hear. If she goes on with herself I would just make a comment along the lines of how it sounds like she blames you for their illness, and see what her comeback is to that.

5 Little Monkeys
03-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Agreed, the snarky comments need to stop. I would say "It's winter and in dc illnesses travel fast and often. That is why it is important to follow my sick policy. I have been giving food and drinks with lots of vitamin c in hopes that this will help. I disinfect weekly. I am not sure what else I should do. Do you have any suggestions?"

cfred
03-04-2014, 01:00 PM
I've not had this issue with my clients at the new house. Of course, I'm always talking about how everyone's sick out in the general public...and they are. Unless she's living in a bubble at home and never going out in public, I"m not sure what she expects. I also tell everyone at the intake interview that their kids are going to get sick - a lot. Despite disinfecting every week and doing everything I can, the fact is that kids get sick. They know going in that it's going to happen.

bright sparks
03-04-2014, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't disinfect weekly either just monthly unless there is D&V or multicoloured bogies flying when little ones are sneezing :)

5 Little Monkeys
03-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Sometimes I disinfect monthly but my kids don't cover their mouth when coughing or sneezing (no matter how many times I ask/show them lol) and they all put toys in their mouth (drives me crazy!). I also like to do toy rotations and I clean the toys before putting them away so they are clean for the next time). I am used to daily disinfecting from working in centres so weekly/bi-weekly disinfecting is a breeze. Last year I didn't disinfect as much and the kids were constantly sick. I have increased my cleaning this year and have had hardly any kids sick. It's been great!! (knock on wood!!)

I am not a clean freak though and the rest of my house is never disinfected LOL

Secondtimearound
03-04-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm abit OCD on cleaning ! I admit !!! It's my pressure and stress reliever ! So you can imagine !!! Lol
Thanks for the advice !!!! I didn't trust myself this morning to reply !!
Dcm just told me Sunday they rented a bouncy house , sick on Monday ? Now I'm not a rocket scientist but ....... Not one other child is sick here ! No runny noses !! I have told dcm that !!
But I guess I should confront , I think I will ask if she really thinks I'm infecting them !! Lol

bright sparks
03-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Clean toys weekly and even daily when mouthed but cleaning and disinfecting are different and disinfecting to frequently can contribute to poor immune systems in children. Soap and water is generally enough.

5 Little Monkeys
03-04-2014, 01:46 PM
I use the words disinfecting and cleaning for all the same thing. Sometimes I am using disinfecting wipes, sometimes bleach and water sometimes soap and water. Depends what toy it is and how often I've done it. :)

cfred
03-04-2014, 01:49 PM
I used to work in daycare centres and weekly is the standard. I just stayed with that. By the time Friday rolls around, the toys are well goobed up again. If 143 passes and we have to follow DNA, everyone should prepare themselves for the likelihood of having to disinfect weekly. It's really not a big deal...takes a couple hours. I like the way it smells afterwards too :)

5 Little Monkeys
03-04-2014, 02:04 PM
I used to work in daycare centres and weekly is the standard. I just stayed with that. By the time Friday rolls around, the toys are well goobed up again. If 143 passes and we have to follow DNA, everyone should prepare themselves for the likelihood of having to disinfect weekly. It's really not a big deal...takes a couple hours. I like the way it smells afterwards too :)

Lucky!! The centre's I worked in, we had daily cleaning/disinfecting to do(a new room/area each night) and at the last centre I worked at, I had the closing shift. It sucked lol. I agree, I like the smell!

bright sparks
03-04-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't think the passing of 143 will make a difference. Only the sections pertaining to hdcp's will apply to us, just like currently only the part of the DNA that are applicable to us are specified. Also if Bill 143 is passed it will no longer be the DNA so will likely have totally different sections and rules for both centre care and dcp's

cfred
03-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Ew 5LM! Every day! That's a lot! I used to cringe at the once per week in daycare centres, just because of the sheer size. Here in my little corner of the world, I don't mind a bit. My parents are grateful and our illness rate (this nasty beast of a cold aside) has been pretty low, despite the fact that I take kids when they're sick too (within reason). But doing that every night at closing would just make life not worth living, lol!

5 Little Monkeys
03-04-2014, 02:25 PM
haha agreed!! We did areas each night so that it wasn't a big clean all at once. Unfortunately though, that was always a duty for the closing people :(

I have a ton of toys but they aren't all out at once so even if I HAD to do it each day, it would take less than hour. When I'm cleaning with just soap and water the kids like to help too.

I never clean upstairs. I do things like dishes and laundry but my fiance does all the "hard work", mopping, sweeping, the bathrooms. I really can't complain! He will even do the downstairs bathroom and vacuming if he's in the mood!

Secondtimearound
03-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Nice !!!! Fiancé ? I have had to do the work 'training' mine lol !!!! Now my dh is a major help !!!! I think the only toys I have neglected are the big Lego !! So tonight I will do those !
Today I've scrubbed downstairs and re-organized and changed my set up . I will leave the bleaching until I'm closed !
Guess what I'm doing tonight ? Lol

cfred
03-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Help would be lovely....I'm salivating at the notion! Sadly, Awesome New Guy is still maintaining BF status, so no regular housework. I have to say though, I do enjoy it when he tries to impress me with jobs around the house on the weekends! Next on the agenda - ikea shelves all over my garage and wine racks in my storage area under the stairs. Gonna have a wine cellar! Oh yes :)

Secondtimearound
03-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Really ??? Nice !!!!!! I would like a wine cellar too !!!

Sassygirl
03-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Ugggh I have one of those parents here too.
Constant snidey remarks about their child being sick again - same family who has no backup care so I understand the frustration.
Like the others though, I disinfect weekly (run all toys through the dishwasher and lysol wipe all toys that I can't) and I have said to her "I sanitize and colds and sicknesses happen which is why I don't charge for sick days so people will leave their sick children at home, there is only so much that I can do, I am just as frustrated as you are about this" and it seems to quiet her down.

5 Little Monkeys
03-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Fiance (may as well say dh, we have been engaged almost 3 years lol) is a janitor so he's just used to cleaning ;) Actually, even at bf status he did the major cleaning. I am NOT and never have been a fan of cleaning. I used to have a friend who would get sick of my dusty apartment and would come and clean for me hahaha. I keep things tidy but only clean when necessary. It's bad!!! I have a few friends who do all the cooking and cleaning in their relationship and I can't say that I envy them. I really did luck out in finding mine haha.

My garage was turned into a "man cave" and a daycare storage area last summer. A wine cellar would be lovely though!!

cfred
03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
The 'wine cellar' is actually only going to be a few tall Ikea wine racks in the little storage area under my stairs. Anyone living in a townhouse will know the space I mean. Not nearly as impressive as it sounds, but I'm gonna have a LOTTA wine in it! Woo hoo!

5 Little Monkeys
03-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Your wine cellar still sounds better than mine!! They are all on top of a dresser in my computer room...I used to have them on the kitchen cupboard but the pile was getting bigger and a parent noticed them one day. I don't even drink that often (hence why the pile gets bigger, for some reason everyone gives us alcohol and wine lol) so I though I should put them out of sight! haha